Need more writers, redux

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by HatterDon, Feb 8, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

:banana-guitar: -- man, I gotta GET that smilie for my email! Oh, where was I? Oh yes, Heather continues to be concerned about the monocrome shading of publications on this site.

MATCH REPORTS: As much as I enjoy writing match reports, and as much as I appreciate the numbers that read them [I'm assuming the "leave a comment" thing doesn't work as I haven't gotten one yet], it's a concern that others haven't tried their hand at writing. I've told Heather that if ANYONE ever expresses an interest in doing a particular match report, I'll be happy to step back. So far, nobody has. I'll continue to do them if nobody else is interested, EXCEPT for Saturday's match v. Stoke City. It's tape delayed, I have a gig, and I might not get around to actually watching it until Monday morning. PLEASE SOMEBODY TAKE UP THE CUDGEL AND WRITE A MATCH REPORT FOR STOKE CITY. All you need to do is put in on an email and get it to Heather as quickly as you can.

MATCH PREVIEWS: I used to do a lot of these on the old FulhamUSA.com as did ChicagoTom, American Mike, and other site members. I just haven't done one for so long, that I've gotten out of practice. I'm going to send one on the Stoke Match to Heather some time today. Man this thing is so cool :banana-guitar: that's it's king of distracting my narrative. Match previews follow a predictable format. Check out any of them on SOCCERNET to get an idea. Past history, injuries, recent form, etc. all play here. All of this information is readily available.Match previews are fairly easy to write. Most of the information you’ll need is available on the web. Despite what some people on FulhamUSA.com have said in recent years, there’s a lot more involved than just “cutting-and-pasting.” A good time to get them to Heather would be on the Wednesday before a weekend match, and by Monday night for a mid-week match. Here's sites that I've used in the past for Match Previews:

For performance history v. opponents:

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd

To keep track of who is injured

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_ ... _table.php

For general information about the league – especially useful for the form guide [everyone’s performance in the last six matches]

http://www.premierleague.com

For information of current and past stadia [could be used for “color”]

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/index.html

For recent articles, team rosters, current performance, past fixtures, etc.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/league/_/i ... ue?cc=5901

And, of course Fulham’s home page and those of our opponents.

I also used Wikipedia a lot during our first Europa League run to get information on European opponents’ history, ground information, and the like.

I read EVERYTHING on this site, and there are LOTS of good writers among you. Please :confusion-helpsos: Heather and the site out and contribute

COYW

:banana-guitar: :banana-guitar: Damn, that is SO cool.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:banana-guitar: Yep, it's pretty cool. This deserves a :text-bump: I can think of a certain person from your neck of the woods HD that writes great postmatch thoughts that might want to help out with a Stoke review. Hint: he went to college in College Station.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know of whom you speak, SCJ, and I just finished drinking lunch with him. I think he's a bit shy.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, Hatter, I tried to keep the blue. But it just wasn't working with the black. Plus, it's weird how phpbb sets up their css files. You want to change one item's color and the another item (that you didn't want) changed to that color as well. Black and white works. Plus, I find it easier to read with black, white, and grey. I don't know about everyone else, but my eyes start to hurt when reading on other computer colors besides the colors mentioned above. It's jarring to me for some reason.

The comments work, you just need to be logged into site to post there. I was considering letting non-members post comments, but there's just too many spam bots these days ruining the party. And anti-spam measures are fairly futile these days. I really don't want another job monitoring comments. Plus, the forum is where most of the discussion takes place, so lately I've just been adding the forum links at the bottom of the articles to encourage discussion. I should probably just turn off the comment section for the articles.

But to the original purpose of the thread. Yes, please, if you have an interest in writing pre- or post- match reports let me know. We used to have 3 to 4 people writing stuff for the site, I hope we can replicate that again.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Drinking lunch? :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It was heart-healthy. I stopped at two Shiner Bocks! :naughty:

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Due to band commitments on Saturday and church commitments on Sunday, I'm probably not going to be able to watch the Stoke match until Monday morning.

SO WE NEED SOMEBODY TO CONTRIBUTE A MATCH REPORT THIS WEEKEND!

Please volunteer,somebody! :confusion-helpsos:

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I will be happy to put something together

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

What, Heather didn't give you guys a "hint hint, wink wink" type emoticon? I'll do the Stoke one. Why not, we won't even have to change the title, although it probably won't have the same prose and style. It'll have to wait until Saturday night when I watch the tape delayed broadcast though, but I'll give it a shot.

I said this to Don, but Heather puts a link in his write-ups "to discuss" and it leads to the match thread. Whenever I've commented on Don's VFST, I've either done it in the thread or via personal email...depending on how critical I am or how hard a time to I want to give him. Keeping the feedback on the match thread is probably the easiest way to go and keeps the match discussion in 1 spot as opposed to 2.

COYW! (I'd rather write about taking the 3 points at home :banana-guitar: than the alternatives :sad-roulette: ).

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good man, sir!

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Looks like we had two volunteers (SC and Matt) at the same time? Wow...THANKS!!! Should we have two match reviews of the same match, switch weeks??? Any ideas?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Rock and also roll, sir.

DCH, if you haven't already sorted it out, meet with the gents on PM or chat, and you'll probably be able to come to a consensus right away.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

" Need more writers....."
    :eek: chuckle

And if Don doesnt know what I mean he's senile-er than I thought
    I sure do commiserate
    :character-oldtimer:

Good luck but, as for me, "The moving finger.." moves on, ya know
    - Wherein I piss off a whole different group.
    [​IMG]

Rest'a youse guys.. try it; you never know till you do it.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If anyone out there has a scintilla of a clue what Mr. Fog is on about, please advise.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ahh, HD, it's just good to have the band back together. Decipher at your own risk...:)

And, I'm willing to write a bit - DCHeather or Mo PM me please and we'll work out when everyone will be exposed to my drivel.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

coolness!

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I can't decipher the first part of Fog's message. But the second part has translated to, "I have moved on to bothering others on a different board." Third part of the message is, the rest of ya's give it a go, you might enjoy writing.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

And I have PM'd you sir.

I may give it a go myself for the QPR match. Not necessarily a match preview analysis...but something. At least I'll have some time to write it.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Just as I suspected.. Don has selective memory.

Not only does he forget how I had to beg him to get started with regular submissions, he also forgot I nagged plenty others as well. Like Stevie, for one.