Nearly official-Eddie Johnson to Fulham, possibly by weekend

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bq, Jan 15, 2008.

1. bq

bq New Member

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Even if he was there for the weekend I doubt he would come on for more than ten or fifteen minutes at the end of what will hopefully be a Fulham win.

None-the-less the sooner he is there the sooner he will get into match shape and hopefully be able to contribute. Any change or signing at this point would be ae welcome change and boost to morale.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Until there is a signing of someone of real consequence there is absolutely no hope. Not a fan of EJ whatsoever and he better keep his head down, work hard, and not read any messageboards, newspapers, etc. because he will be ripped apart. He hasn't played a game in 3 months, does anyone think he'll contribute anytime before May??

Furthermore does anyone think he's any better than Collins John?? Seriously hope he raises his level of play w/the competition, but I doubt it. If this signing is real, all it means to me is 3 million less we can spend and the team hasn't gotten any better.

4. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I think EJ has lots of talent and loads of pace. However, a lot of games i have watched him play for the national team, he just looks like he lacks confidence and doesn't seem to be very assertive. Not so different from Donovan, but he is big, strong, and fast. I just haven't noticed much of a difference from the EJ that came on the seen like 4 or 5 years ago and the EJ of today. The talent is there though. I hope he can make a big leap forward not only for Fulham, but with the US National team.

5. SamStej

SamStej New Member

I like EJ as a player as well. Like most everyone in this forum I think that he has a lot of talent and a lot of pace/strength. The only thing that I question about the move is the timing of it. Right now Fulham is in the midst of a struggle to avoid relegation and we are signing a player whose highest club experience has come in MLS and who will take a while to get fit for matches. I just think that in this stage in the season (considering where we are in the table) we needed a more proven player. That said, January isn't over yet, there should be more moves to come, and any contribution Eddie makes will be positive.

6. bq

bq New Member

7. Markus

Markus Member

First off, I DO NOT like EJ. I saw what he did in Dallas, and how eager they were to get rid of him. I've seen him consistently show the qualities you do not want in a National Team leader

But...
    ...Not so different from last year, eh? The Dempsey goal against an uncaring Liverpool side kept us up last year.

8. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I'll say it again. The players we "want" don't "want" to play for Fulham...bottomline.

I remember cruising the Fulham forums last year defending Clint Dempsey. Many FFC supporters weren't sold on signing him. Does anyone want to send Demps back now?

Once EJ gets into the swing of things, he will be just fine and a great addition to the club. He had one bad year and everyone doomed him. People forget that he had a great 2007. Everyone forgets all the goals he scored in WC Qualifyers. Everyone forgets what he did in the UAE in 2003.

Give the kid a shot. As I said at CCN & my own blog, a year from now, I will be saying to eveyrone "I told you so" just like I've done with the people who doubted Dempsey.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I think the problem is, Dempsey just scored the one goal because it took him a few months to get rounded into match shape and crack the lineup after being in the middle of the MLS offseason. We need someone who's going to score a bunch of goals NOW and because of the timing, EJ isn't necessarily that guy.

(I'm not trying to diminish the importance of what Dempsey accomplished by scoring the goal against Liverpool, of course, just pointing out the difference in the situation.)

10. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Reality is a "terrible thing" sometimes, like now for FFC. When it seems we can't attract top-flight talent from Europe, then maybe the next best thing is to sign one of the best finishers to come out of the US. Obviously his shortcomings are grit and hustle, but maybe Roy and Prem futbal can bring that out in him. I hope so for Fulham's sake. COYW

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The difference between EJ of Dallas and EJ of this year is he actually recognized that HE had a problem {see CJ and JC} and sought help for it. That points to a good attitude about his attitude.

So I'm basically Neutral to Positive on this.

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Color me skeptical that will happen, although I have to admit that he grew up some last year. Still, I may not be from Missouri, but he'll still have to show me that he deserves to be here.

Ouch, signings of this caliber do not make me think hopeful thoughts about avoiding the drop.

13. Markus

Markus Member

Agreed.

Since we're shotgunning EJ opinions here, I keep seeing references here to him being a 'good/great finisher'.

What I see is his MLS performances in contrast to his NatTeam performances....
    Anyone remember earlier this year when he was peppering goals left and right for KC?....Then he headed to Copa America and looked terribly indecisive when presented with wonderful open chances?

It just makes me wonder about his confidence against higher caliber opponents, but then again he's been labeled a 'head-case' for as long as I can remember.

...but hey, at this point I'll take the gamble with him. :|

14. jmh

jmh New Member

That's a good point, there were stories about how EJ went out last offseason and worked with a... sports psychologist? or something along those lines to improve the mental aspect of his game.

15. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

To be fair, it was a very poor team we sent to Copa America, and he definitely suffered from lack of service. I too thought he looked indecisive and unrconfident, but I'd be willing to give him a mulligan there, just because the whole team was so bad.

I should add that I was actually came away impressed with his work rate in those games. I haven't seen many KC games last year, but here's hoping that he's turned a corner in that regard.

16. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

You can't blame EJ for anything related to the Copa America. He had a terrible team surrounding him and had no support. If you are going to "blame" anyone for the Copa mess, blame Sunil.

17. DCDare1

DCDare1 New Member

I hope the presumed EJ move to FFC is probably the best start in the Premiership an American player of his assumed mental "problems and/or attitude" needs. I think (and hope dearly) that McBride, Dempsey, and Boca can be positive role models and quickly teach him the ways of the Premiership. Additionally, FFC needs the help (we all know this), and an injection of new blood may wake a dormant side. Hey, a guy can dream.

I am somewhat excited for the match v. Gunners this weekend. One might say we owe them one, no?

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

This is sh*t. Eddie Johnson is sh*t. He's got some talent but not tons of it by prem standards and his downside is large. At best his skill and ability is equal to that of Kamara. I'd love to eat my words but I don't see it happening. Eddie Johnson will be a flop. This situation seems to worsen by the day.

19. EricD

EricD New Member

Here was a comment by some guy regarding the move of EJ to FFC:

fulham: the mls of europe. Though this should help their relegation battle a bit.

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

This does not seem to be a good move to me. EJ has never impressed me. He will be no more effective than Healy. Money spent on him should have been combined with another signing to get someone proven. All I can assume is that MAF cant bear the thought of overpaying for someone.

What we need to hope for is that an EJ signing will get Dempsey fired up, which he needs to be from the looks of the last couple of matches. EJ will apply himself and have some beginners luck and hopefully this will get the team's confidence going.

If by some chance EJ signs and makes a difference at Fulham, you have to wonder what this means in terms of US talent because EJ would not make my starting XI for the the US.