NCAA Hoops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dukefandave1

dukefandave1 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

Interesting how no one had anything to say after teams like Kansas and Wake bowed out. Meanwhile Duke is on their way to their 8th straight Sweet 16.

2. dukefandave1

dukefandave1 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

JohnnyCash-You Terps have a big NIT game coming up don't you?

3. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

Number 3 is about the funniest thing I've ever heard. So about 99.5% of Duke basketball fans are glory hunters??? Here are a couple of reasons for Duke hating..

1. Coach K's never-ending and effective intimidation of the Refs which culminated in the blatant robbery of Maryland in the NCAA's a few years ago. I challenge you to find one neutral fan anywhere who thinks that wasn't a ripoff. Even the world's second biggest Coach K suck up, Billy Packer has pretty much admitted it.

2. Decades of listening to Vitale, Packer and others slobber over "great' Duke players such as Gminski, Laettner, Dawkins, on and on who go to the NBA and do nothing.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

Good luck getting anywhere beyond where you are now with that bench. You're a 3 man team and Coach K has them playing way over their heads. In my opinion he should be coach of the year without a dobut doing what he's doing without much talent.

You also may want to check the scoreboard as to who kicked whose ass this year.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NCAA Hoops

And before the Cowboys it was the 49ers...but there was love once for the Redskins...but that love was merely on the surface.

6. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Written by a UNC fan to Jim Caple of ESPN.com. I have never been to Duke nor do I know anyone who went there. I have no idea whether there is any truth in this. However, as a certified hater of Duke basketball for well over 2 decades, I nontheless find it entertaining..

"I am writing to encourage you NOT to visit Duke on your trip to Tobacco Road. If you do, you will encounter a bunch of homogeneous, self-important kids whose parents are lucky enough to have a bunch of money but not lucky enough to have offspring intelligent or creative enough to get into a truly outstanding educational institution. Most, if not all, you'd encounter in such a visit will never have done anything all that interesting, except maybe having visited a different mall in a different New Jersey town some night in high school or maxing out daddy's credit card on a shopping spree. The campus is a late-model recreation of an Ivy League school, but don't be fooled ... it's not that nice. Heck, even N.C. State would be more authentic and more interesting. Hope this helps."

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Consider the source of that statement. It would be like a Fulham fan telling someone not to visit Stamford Bridge.

I would also like to add that there are many colleges around the country that have campuses in smaller towns like Durham. Well, Chapel Hill in one, Champaign-Urbana, Columbia, Missouri, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Blacksburg, Virginia, just to name a few.

For this Carolina fan to claim that Chapel Hill and the North Carolina student body is above Duke and Durham is a complete joke.

It is kind of funny to read and see some of the things people come up with when they hate a team and and such. I wonder what else he said in the email to get the ESPN guy to come there?

I do not care if you go to Duke or Illinois St., kids are maxxing Daddy's credit cards Chapel Hill is not immune to such kids as that.

The bottom line is that Duke is successful and people like this Carolina student can't handle it. I guess Ed Cota, Dante Calabria, Shammond Williams, and Jason Capel did not cut it huh? Well, when Carolina can find the consistent form they displayed in the 80's and early 90's they can challenge Duke on the court, but until then they can bitch and moan about life off the court and fallacies of a campus in Durham. Effin' joke.

I wonder if that kid remembers Harold Arceneaux a few years back? Matt Daugherty? It's easy to rip on things when you are at or near the top. I hope Carolina gets their asses handed to them against Villanova. Shut this kid up and all his baby blue lovin' cronies. Effin' scumbags.

8. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Wow - calm down man. I doubt even the original writer was that serious about it. I fully agree that it could describe a lot of places including UNC. But if you don't like the Duke bball team it just gives you a chuckle.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Trust me Dan, I am calm. I think it is kind of funny as well. Unfortunately when you cheer for Duke you read and hear about this kind of thing all too often. I guess I just felt I needed to defend Duke.

10. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Fair enough Tom. I put Duke in the same category as Yankees and the Lakers, other dominant teams that come off as arrogant and are therefore fun to hate. Obviously choosing to be a Fulham fan would indicate one has a soft spot for the underdog. But I do root for Michigan football since I'm a grad - I guess many would put them in the arrogant, fun-to-hate category.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well Dan, we can agree on a few things sports related then. I hate the Yankees and I hate the Lakers too. And on top of that, I love Michigan Football. By far my favorite team in the country. I like their hoops team too, but they have not been so good lately.