NCAA Bowls / Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Resigns.
    UPDATE: Extended LOA, instead.
    Good for him, he's already had a full legendary career ... just more fodder for those of us who consider SW Ohio the Cradle of Coaches. {Gerry Faust excepted}
    - - - - - - - - -

After watching the Pitt - NC game {Pitt by Two, yay!} last night, it just goes to show how some HC jobs affect, based on pressure to win and personal viewpoint.
    I commented to my brothers that Butch Davis looked much younger than when he coached the Browns.
    Cant say that for Wannstedt but you also cant believe that coaching Pitt is more stressful than the Bears or Dolphins, either.

So.. Again.. GOOD LUCK, Brian Kelly. You're gonna need it.
    - - - - - -
    Speaking of... this just about screws any chance of the Bearcats making a statement in the Sugar Bowl.

Damn cheating Gators!

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

well, there goes the "win it for coach" pre-game speech. Now another over-rated Big East team might actually have a chance at winning. unbelievable.

3. pettyfog

Re: RE: NCAA Bowls / Urban Meyer

I was gonna let that go because... well.. UC IS a tad overrated. I'd say a couple positions worth.

But the more I thought about it, the more I think your reasoning is HIGHLY SUSPECT.
    Are you telling me that Florida and Tebow, in his last game, need a 'Win it for the Gipper' mindset to ensure that the game's in the bag?
    Against a team whose coach deserted 'em for fame and glory?

Seems to me that says UC maybe ISNT that overrated.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Why can't people make a decision and stick with it? If he was in such bad shape that he thought about retirement, them fucking retire. This smells like he was worried about the recruiting class was going to go somewhere else. It looks flat out bad.

Also, can he even coach at 90%? It sounds like if he ever coached again that he would have to lower the energy which is something he's never done. So he's only hurting himself and the school by not resigning and maybe coming back in a few years.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

The Sports Guy tweeted this and I think it pretty much sums it up:

"College sports enables crooks, liars & opportunists and nobody seems to care."

6. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

absolutely. Florida's season was played against Alabama and I can't imagine that motivation is very high on their side. So yes, I think they needed that against a team that's out to prove that they can win without their coach. And they're playing one of the top teams in the country. So, yeah, I think motivation is pretty high for UC.

7. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

come on timmy, when has the sports guy ever had anything legit to say about college sports. He doesn't follow college sports and not sure I understand his comment honestly.

8. pettyfog

neener.... neener!
    Florida couldnt have scripted the emotional motivation BETTER!
    "I quit!....Later"

Do I HAVE to point out that Florida STILL can make a case that they are the top college team in 09? Given UC is prolly really 5 or 6.. Let's see how 'bama performs.

Do I HAVE to point out that UC's interim coach had a -ahem- little conflict of interest... that being to point out that his once and future boss can get the absolute MOST out of any collection of players?
    added:
    And to all you visceral Tebow haters.. you're just getting STARTED. You're really gonna hate it when he's taken no later than 5th, probably top two, and gets his team in the SB within 5 years. Cause he's gonna draft into a starting position... would make even a Detroit Lions GM look smart.
    Kudos to UC defense.. Shown up but never quit. Would'aq helped if you had a really good DCoord. play on your quickness in positioning the backfield players.

- - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - -

Blind Squirrel corner:
    Ohio state wins a big one. I know this season has been a seminal one for me... sorry Coach Jim; you still are starting and play calling for a good High School Quarterback.
    And one not as good as Zack Collaros.. even considering the height.
    OTOH...Ohio State = DE-FENCE!!!!!!
    and
    How about that Penn State.. and Northwestern, even! Says more about Big Ten than the Rose Bowl. Good Job!

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Am I seeing things or did Petty just say that Tebow is a too 5 pick AND will lead a team to a super bowl? That, if I'm seeing this correctly, would be the most insane thing you've ever said.

10. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I'm not sure about top 5, but i certainly think he will be successful. he has a couple of mechanical issues, but i would think he could fix those issues. I can't believe how well they shut down Cincy. that's what I didn't see happening.

I thought the Rose Bowl was a great game. Really enjoyed that one. But do you think reporters have a contest and the loser has to interview Tressel?

11. pettyfog

Yep.
    And you are now nailed down! You're a good guy and you'll be here in a couple years.
    PS: How'd that Michigan prediction turn out?

heh...
    I typed in 'where will tebow draft' and looky the first hit google came up with.

I couldnt agree more. lemme say again, I watched two games yesterday. I saw two pretty good passers {not counting Pike} but ONE of them was running around with an upgrade of a High School Veer.
    The other one looked to me like an NFL out of pocket passer. Now that brings us to one amazing comment:
    "He's not a pocket passer"
    Gimme a effing break! Pocket passing is an offensive strategy/tactic.. not a freakin TALENT!

Sadly, that isnt even a Happy Hour debate starter, anymore. More like 'snicker.. snort.. draw me another, please!'

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Petty, he will be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, become a wildcat type quarterback and maybe get a chance to start at some point in the future. That's it. That's how players like him turn out. Except now we have that wildcat stuff going around the league so he will get more time on the field.

If he does end up becoming some great NFL quarterback, I will work the rest of my life only to give you my paychecks.

Ok maybe not, but you get the point.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Maybe so, but if that quote came from someone else, like a beat reporter for the local State U, that it wouldn't be very credible. It all goes back to the fact that a lot of people make scads of $ off people who are paid the market rate for a scholarship for their efforts. That kid Pike made more $ for UC than he will ever see in his professional career (I hope he proves me wrong). Examples -- Rich Rodriguez, Charlie Weis (for holding ND over a barrel for his last contract a few years ago), John Calipari, Larry Eustachy, Gary Barnett (not the former Fulham player), the college presidents who are making money off the BCS, don't tell me that college athletics isn't corrupt to the core.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'll take that bet. Florida tried to work on his mechanics and release over the offseason and early in the Fall and had to scrap it and go back to what they'd been doing with him. Based on that, I'd say there's no way he improves quick enough to get into the top 5 picks or to "lead" a team to a Super Bowl in 5 yrs. I question if he has the footspeed to be a wildcat qb at the next level. A couple of years ago, you may have had a point on the draft pick half of that, but NFL GM's have wised up to spending that high a pick on a project qb. Time will tell though.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

since this thread is about NCAA Bowls, let me rant a little about the system.

I was sitting here for about a week wondering why Texas and Alabama were meeting in the Rose Bowl a full week after New Years, and also where the UT band was in the Rose Parade. THEN I discovered the whole Oregon v Ohio State thing, and I went "huh?" Ohio State is a Rose Bowl team and, a week later, Texas is playing "The BCS Championship Game" IN the Rose Bowl. Whatever happened to swapping the championship game around the bigger bowls from year to year?

Here's a thought. Back before there was color TV the two teams who lost the NFL conference finals went to Miami to play in The RunnerUp Bowl, while the winners played for the NFL Championship. Pettyfog will remember this, and may also remember Vince Lombardi's rant at Green Bay for "making me go to that hinky-dinky town and play for a hinky-dinky trophy.

So, if the game in the Rose Bowl on January 7, ISN'T the Rose Bowl, then why doesn't the NCAA do this.

1. Keep the title "BCS Championship Game"
    2. Rename the Rose Bowl, Runnerup Bowl, California
    3. Rename the Fiesta Bowl, Runnerup bowl, Arizona
    4. the Sugar Bowl becomes Runnerup Bowl, Louisiana
    5. the Cotton is Runnerup Bowl, Texas
    6 and the orange is Runnerup Bowl, Florida.

Rant over.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Don that the Rose Bowl was actually the "Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi" and the BCS Championship Game is officially the "Citi 2010 BCS National Championship Game" (at the Rose Bowl).

So technically, you are correct in saying that the BCS Championship Game gets to move around. But it also means that the Rose, Orange, Sugar, etc Bowls also exist. So each year one of the five BCS bowl sites gets TWO bowl games.

The NCAA, especially college football, is a kleptocracy that would make Mobutu Sese Seko proud. What a goddamn joke.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Don that the Rose Bowl was actually the "Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi" and the BCS Championship Game is officially the "Citi 2010 BCS National Championship Game" (at the Rose Bowl).

So technically, you are correct in saying that the BCS Championship Game gets to move around. But it also means that the Rose, Orange, Sugar, etc Bowls also exist. So each year one of the four BCS bowl sites, and thus the big conferences, get two BCS bowl games.

The NCAA, especially college football, is a kleptocracy that would make Mobutu Sese Seko proud. What a goddamn joke.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

They changed it in 2006. There were several reasons aside from the obvious $$$. First, it guaranteed the Title Game would be played last while allowing the 4 major bowls to maintain their traditional dates/times.

It also allowed 2 more teams into the BCS mix. This gives them the ability to add one or more of the little guys should they merit consideration w/o having to eliminate any and/or all runners-up in a conference that may have 2 exceptionally strong teams or when a surprise team wins a conference championship (automatic bid). You also get fewer complaints about teams getting snubbed this way.

By having the extra game, you get 2 more teams into a bowl who'd otherwise be sitting at home. This garners more support from the presidents and universities b/c that many more teams are getting a cut of the pie. Let's face it, we're almost to the point where 1/2 the teams in NCAA D-1 play in a bowl.

19. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Maybe i'm in the blind, but I wouldn't say that college athletics are corrupt to the core. Are they corrupt? probably. Coaches certainly have to look out for their best interest and will do what it takes to land that top recruit (PSU/OSU fighting over Pryor comes to mind). You seem to think it's a problem that Pike made more for Cincy than he ever will in his professional career. Obviously, that will forever be open for debate. But 2009-2010 tuition averages for private schools was $26K and $7 for public schools. http://www.collegeboard.com/student/pay ... /4494.html

There are 120 FBS schools (DIV 1 for us fans). Let's assume an average of 100 on every team. That's 12,000 student athletes. For the NFL, there are seven rounds with 32 teams picking for a grand total of 224 draftees. Assuming all draft picks came from DIV 1, that would be 1.8% of of total student athletes. The other 98.2% are all receiving an opportunity that many from their same socioeconomic status will never be able to receive.

Honestly where I see the corruptions is that presidents, chancellors, faculty, tudors, and other students are willing to look the other way instead of ensuring that these student athletes actually get an education. Brian Kelly is a great example. I'm not sure what UC graduation rate was before kelly, but during kelly, it was 76%. I recall hearing that it was easily in the top 5 of teams in Bowls. Coaches should be held accountable for the students performance in the classroom as well as on the field. I don't have a problem with these athletes not receiving pay checks. I have a problem that we as fans are willing to encourage educational institutions to look the other way when it comes to educating these young men and women. Hell, I'm from the South and I'm willing to bet I'm easily one of the top college football fans on this site. I record them. Even tomorrow night. when CMU/Troy come on, I'll be watching and listening. So, i'm not some anti-college football guy. quite the oppostie actually.

And the education thing isn't jsut football. Basketball is even worse.

20. tim

tim Active Member

Thanks for the shout-out 'fog. Outback Bowl was a great game...everything but the outcome.

Go 'Cats.