NBA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Off Topic

You don't have the OCHO? That means no dodgeball for you...

I have recently became a FSC, and FSNY guy. Just because I can't stand ESPN... sportscenter sucks me in sometimes, i'll watch the same episode 7 times in a daze letting even my coffee go forgotten so long that next time I sip it its cold.

I think the NBA has the hightest concentration of egos in sports. Aside from TO and a few others... I dont see the characters getting out of check like they do in the NBA.

I've recently strayed a bit from B-Ball and hockey because local demons (cablevision) have managed to destroy them both.

As usual I'm not saying much... but, Larry Brown has me curious, but I dont expect anybody but the spurs to win this year.

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I don't care about the NBA either but there are two good reasons:

1) I grew up in the Detroit area before the Pistons had even done anything. For many years, they had never won a best-of-7 series. They played in an arena that seated 10K people and had a stage at one end, and then in a corner of a football stadium. In other words, minor league.

2) I lived in the DC area for 20 years, and our local team is the Bullets/Wizards.

I'll occasionally watch a college basketball game (my wife is a big BC fan) but otherwise, between my interest in baseball, football, American football, and hockey (I have fantasy teams in each of those sports), my sports calendar is filled up.

3. martin

martin New Member

I'll keep an eye on the Hawks, but they will have to show some serious improvement before I start caring.

Jason Collier's death was very sad. He was well-liked by everyone around him, from his childhood through his last days with the Hawks. Lots of teammates and coaches attended the funeral and had nothing but great things to say about him. He will be missed. His Hawks teammates will wear black shoulder patches in his honor. They also decided to let his uniform hang in his locker throughout the season.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

How much is the cheapest ticket to one of their games? I would be all over it.

5. rumstove

rumstove New Member

That's the main thing that turned me away from the NBA.

I must say I'm glad to see the Bucks are 2-0. ah, and the Timberpuppies won their first game. cool.

6. martin

martin New Member

They have some $10 seats. I guess $10 wouldn't kill me. They are 0-1 now, with an opening night 25-point loss to the mighty Warriors.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The Hawks were bad last night, but let me be one of the first to tell you that the Warriors will surprise a lot of teams this season. I think they will make the playoffs.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

...and rising from the dead last night, the Bulls were down 21 going into the 4th quarter and won. Unbelievable!! I do not think the Bulls will have as good a season as they did last year, but that was a nice way to start the season for sure!!

9. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

The knicks looked pretty good until overtime... more than 13 missed free throws, turnovers in the teens....

Larry Brown has his work cut out for him.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yep.. sad. He played his HS ball in the next school district over from mine. Had a great HS rep, but his feud with Bobby Knight was misunderstood by many, and taken as too much ego on his part.

Guess that proved out to be otherwise.

RIP, Jason.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, which NBA team do you cheer for? Or are you still pining the loss of the Cincinnati Royals?

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If the Cavs start living up to the desire and play of their franchise player, then I'll follow them actively... otherwise I peek in now and then.

If he turns into another Kobe Bryant, however... the deal is off.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think you are in safe hands with LeBron. He is a great player. I have the NBA Pass on Dish Network and I watch as many Cavs games as I can. Tomorrow night should be interesting with LeBron and company taking on San Antonio in Texas. That will be a good one to watch.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

So, each season I pick a few teams to support before the season starts. I always take the Bulls as they are my hometown team. In addition, this season I am supporting the Golden State Warriors. I would be happy with a playoff berth and I am also supporting the Cleveland Cavaliers for LBJ23, aka the Chosen One, aka King LeBron. I will never pick a team that is great and/or favored to win it all. I like picking underdogs.

Teams also on my radar include the Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks and the Portland Trail Blazers. However, for Atlanta and Portland it could be a long season. I will still be watching in April though.