NBA Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, I will be shocked if the Thunder can take it in 3 straight victories. But I'll be hoping it happens. Then again, perhaps it will be best if Lebron does win, maybe I can stop hearing about him not winning a Championship too much.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Maybe OKC can get it back home, but I doubt it. The Thunder look they are following the path of a lot of eventual Champs by having to learn how to win the Finals (Miami learned from last year), because the only difference in these 2 teams has been the play in the final 5 minutes of the games.

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

They will go from talking about how LeBron hasnt won to talking about how great he is now that he has won. The comparisons with the greats have already started, but now it will go into overdrive now that he probably has a championship.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

At least it's a change in the script? Sigh. I'll be avoiding ESPN (except for Euros) for the next few days (err, weeks).

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Actually, that's not a bad policy year round. :lol:

I think for those rooting against him, it'll be "not five, not six, not seven..." and the criticism will continue. For those on the fence, the criticism eases up. And then of those pulling for him, he'll get some praise, but there will also be those ready to crown him Jordan which is absurd. With 24/7 sports coverage we've become very knee-jerk though, so it's to be expected that there will be those who want to determine his place in history after each chapter, instead of waiting to finish the book.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

He answered all the questions and deserves some praise. He won a title and now the jokes about Carmelo can start. I hate the Heat and the way they came together, but they won the title and thats all that matters in sports.

Thank God the season is over. Now its time for the draft and what should be an interesting offseason in LA.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I agree Justin, "Thank god the season is over"

I'll stop rooting against Lebron now. No point anymore. He's an amazing athlete. I will however never forgive him for throwing the series against Boston. He always gave his all for the Cavs until he, Wade, and Bosh hatched their little plan.

8. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Come on, part of you still wants to say he didn't earn it by being part of a team (versus buying), right? :p

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I didn't watch the Finals postgame so this is all on what I heard was said. Apparently Jon Barry said LeBron could not win a title again and he would still be on Jordan's playing field. So, uh, yeah the crowning has already begun.

Magic put Kobe in the same group as LeBron and Durant in saying that they aren't close to Jordan. But Magic thinks Kobe is better than he was and I know damn well he thinks he better than LeBron and Durant and close to Jordan so he's trolling and giving Kobe motivation. The other analysts are flat out stupid and have been on the Heat bandwagon since The Decision.

Onto the draft. Joe, your Blazers have a chance at Harrison Barnes. I think he's going to be a star and I think they should trade up or take him if he falls to number six. The same thing applies to the Cavs. He had a bad season with UNC, but his second half of the freshman year is more indicative of how he will perform in the NBA.

The Lakers are looking to trade into the first round. Apparently looking at Quincy Miller and Perry Jones. Jones is amazing, when he wants to be. Don't know much about Miller. Also have no clue how they will trade up that far unless Gasol is leaving and that pick is reserved for Deron Williams and Dwight Howard.

10. Clevelandmo

Yeah I guess I still have to say he didnt earn it the way Jordan did, and others.

11. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Let's get into the NBA Draft rumors. Lots of them so let's get to work.

It is widely accepted that Cleveland wants to trade up to the #2 pick and get Beal. This guy could be the next Ray Allen and Cleveland could have one of the best backcourts in the NBA in a few years if they take him.

Washington is unhappy as they want Beal to pair with Wall so they're rumored to possibly send the #3 pick and Andray Blanche to..... The Los Angeles Lakers. They would get Gasol. Holy shit, sign us up! Pick Kidd Gilchrist and we have our small forward position locked down for years.

Houston wants Dwight Howard. They picked up a #18 pick and have three first rounders now. I think this is a smoke screen for a trade for Gasol. If they can get him for two picks and Lowry, I think they do it. I'm not sure why they want Howard when he would never sign there long term.

The Lakers are trying to get into the late first round and World Peace has been a name thrown out there. Makes sense.

The Lakers for the first and Shawn Marion has been mentioned. Again, makes sense.

There was some talk about the Rockets trading up for the #5 pick from the Kings, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Apparently the Kings like Damien Lillard of Weber State.

There was also talk of the Bulls trading Deng, but nothing has been really talked about since that came up.

The Pistons traded Ben Gordon to the Bobcats for Corey Maggette. The Pistons saved a ton of money.

The Mavericks want Deron Williams, but he might stay with Brooklyn.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Okay Justin, give us your draft analysis. I saw this morning that Portland passed on Barnes and picked some guy from Weber State, really? then they drafted some stiff w/the 11th pick that is a 'project', really? Ugh :sad-roulette:

13. Clevelandmo

Nothing but shock and disbelief in Cleveland regarding the Cavs #1 pick.

14. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I have never seen Lillard play, well I'm sure I have but I can't remember. Everything I have read and the highlights I have seen suggest that he is going to be in a few all star games. He averaged nearly 25 points for Weber State. I have no problem with this pick.

I do have a problem with the Cleveland draft. Waiters is going to be a serviceable player, but you don't pick a guy at number four to get a good role player. They wanted a power forward obviously, so why pass on Thomas Robinson!? Barnes is a pure shooter and will be better than he was in College, they should have went there or grabbed Robinson. Zeller can run up and down the floor and has good skills, but he is weak. Somebody from Golden State said that Ezeli tore him up in the Warriors workout, citing Tylers lack of strength.

The steal of the draft was Perry Jones going to the Thunder. As the ESPN analysts were saying, this guy can replace Ibaka down the road when Ibaka wants that big contract. Apparently the Lakers tried to get him, but it didn't happen. He's going to need to bring it every night, but I think that cast around him won't let him take days off.

And if this wasn't obvious, someday the Hornets are going to be amazingly good. Rivers will need to play the point and not play hero ball, but I think he will do that. I also think that Davis is going to be a star and Gordon also has the potential to be a star. Great draft from them.

15. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Some free agent news for everybody.

Portland offered 4/$58m to Roy Hibbert. To say this is overpaying is an under statement. You gotta overpay though to get what you want though, especially big men, and Hibbert has shown improvement on the offensive end. If he can continue this improvement then he can be a consistent all star, but that's by default as there isn't many great big men out there.

The Nets are offering a bunch of players for Joe Johnson. It's mostly bench players. If they can get him and keep Deron, then they got something there. They also resigned Gerald Wallace. And I think Brooks is going to be a star and he would be coming off the bench.

Dwight Howard has requested a trade to the Nets. If they pull off this and everything else then there is a new sheriff in the East. They would have everything, a PG, Center and perimeter players. The odds of them getting Dwight is slim though because.......

The Lakers have opened talks with the Magic for Dwight. They can offer a better Center, much better, in exchange. Not saying I want this to happen, but if it gets serious then Dwight will be a Laker.

Should have read the Dwight news before I posted this. He said he will only resign with one team and most people think it's with the Nets. Good, now we can keep Bynum who is actually less drama than Dwight.

16. Clevelandmo

The local Cleveland paper had an interesting article on Waiters trying to explain the reasoning behind the pick. I guess Scott loves him, went to watch him play several times, and thinks he has it all. Also the Ohio State head coach said when they played Syracuse they planned their defense around how to stop Waiters. Strange thing to do for the sixth man, huh. The interesting part is that due to Waiters past the Cavs managment believes he's very disciplined and has shown that he can deal with adversity and still get the job done. They also say he is incredibly loyal. You have to wonder if the importance of those traits are elevated a bit within the Cavs management because of Lebron.

17. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

It probably did, but Cleveland has to realize that if a player from Akron would leave Cleveland, then it's likely any star player would leave that city if they don't think they can win. Since Cleveland is not a glamor city, it's unlikely they sign big free agents so they have to use the Draft, ala OKC, to compete and that means picking the best available. With so many better players available, I don't like the pick. But I have nothing against the Cavaliers so I hope he proves me wrong and you guys have a great player on your team.

Ric Bucher said that Dwight wants to be a Net because he wants more say in the franchise and that's why he doesn't want to be a Laker. If this is true, then this guy has a bigger ego than every superstar to ever play the NBA combined. You get say in a franchise when you win championships. That's why Mitch meets with Kobe, he's been here for years and has won five titles. His opinion matters, as it should. All Howard has done is whine for two years and go to one finals where his Magic got destroyed by the Lakers.

Oh and good luck getting a Russian oligarch giving you complete control over a franchise. I'm sure guys like Mikhail and Vladimir love giving away power.

18. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Steve Nash is now a Laker! We gave up a 2013 and 2015 first round picks and gave up our second round picks for the next two years. We have signed him to a 3 year $25 million deal.

First of all, we do nothing with our picks so that's no big deal. And second of all, this instantly turns us into one of the top three teams in the league. We can keep Gasol now because Nash is the perfect PG to get him the open 15 foot jump shot. I still want him traded, but I won't be mad if we keep him. Also, this helps Kobe a lot. Now he isn't forced to keep the ball all game. He can play a much easier 36 minutes, which is scary for other teams as he will be well rested come playoff time.

There is still a need for a guy like Nick Young to come off the bench and resigning Sessions and Hill. If we do all of that, I am very confident of us winning a title. I have full confidence in the Magic Wand Of Mitch Kupchak to get everything done.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

This offseason (basically last 12 months since winning the the title) has been awful for my Mavs.

20. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Jason Kidd has left and went to the Knicks. The Mavericks are currently writing the book on how to not run a franchise after winning a title. There is a very good chance that they don't make the playoffs next year, possibly not even coming close. They have an owner that will spend, but it could be a long time before they are ever contenders.