NBA Season Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Dec 21, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

My hatred of the violet and yellow does not mask my admission that they probably have the best team...if Kobe can get healthy. He should have gotten surgery on his finger last offseason. Denver is the one team out west that can hang, but they remind me of the great Jail Blazer teams that when push came to shove they imploded.

Mo, I can understand your viewpoint, but the Cavs' achilles heel was their inability to go 'small' and matchup w/Orlando. They'll be flexible w/Jamison. They can now run multiple offenses where they can pound it into Shaq (remember he's not a spring chicken and can only play so many minutes) or go athletic and give other teams fits. The window is closing, so I don't think they're trying to buy a team, but adding that final piece that can beat the one team out east (Orlando) that has given them problems. Now if Mo Williams can come back, look out.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Good win for the Lakers against the Grizzlies. Not only did we win, but Kobe had a damn good game with 32 points and a GW shot. I can't imagine the NBA is too happy to see Kobe having a monster game in his first game back.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Why wouldn't you imagine that. You don't think that the NBA [not to mention ABC & ESPN] want Kobe v. LeBron in the finals?

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I meant the teams of the NBA, not ESPN and Stern.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The Mavs are going to beat Kobe and the Lakers without Caron Butler. Boo-yah! Go Mavs!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Old joke revised:

NASA is going to name their newest missile the Richard Jefferson. Why? Cause they can't fire it and they can't get it to work.

Pop has been a genius the last 10 years or so in finding grizzled veterans who are so hungry for a ring they'll subjugate their egoes, bust their asses, and pull it all out for the team: Jerome Kersey, Big Shot Rob, Mario Elie, etc. etc. Richard Jefferson works hard and displays his redoubtable skills about one game out of every three. And this was the guy who was going to allow us to seriously challenge Rump Ranger and the rest of the Lake Show in the last season that Timmy D. would have all his skills in order.

What a waste of oxygen Jefferson is.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Lakers showed that they can win against the Nuggets today. Seriously though, I didn't think the game meant much as the Nuggets will always believe they can beat us even of we win and we know we can beat them. Should be a good playoff series.

Kobe had a pretty shitty shooting game, but had like 9 assists. Phil needs to watch his minutes going into the playoffs. We need the 28,5 and 5 Kobe not the 3-17 or something Kobe.

The Celtics lost to the Nets yesterday. Haha!

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Why can't we play for 4 goddamn quarters? Every time we play with a sense of urgency, we go on some kind of monster run. Why not make it easy for yourselves and come out of the fucking gate with a sense of urgency so every starter is sitting on the bench for the 4th quarter?

All season long I've said that I wasn't worried. I wanted to worry, but its the Lakers and we are the most talented team in the league. After this 3 game road trip, I can seriously say that I'm somewhat concerned about our play. If we don't start playing like we want a title with a real sense of urgency, we won't even make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs let alone the finals.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, the Spurs bowed out of the NBA playoffs this weekend when Tony Parker broke his hand. He'll be out for 6 weeks -- back just in time for the Spurs to get swept in the first round of playoffs.

This season was to be Timmy and Pop's last chance for a title. but injuries to Timmy, Manu, and now Parker have been almost as damaging to the team as has the continued health of Richard Jefferson.

So, let the Kobe v. LeBron mini-series commence!

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Don's favorite player hit another gw shot tonight. They shouldn't need Kobe to hit a game winner against the Raptors at home, but we needed a win to break the losing streak so I'm not gonna bitch.

11. LaxAttack

The Mavs keep winning and this makes me happy.

12. SoCalJoe

Now that the playoffs are here, we only have 3 months left of the NBA season :roll:

Between the ridiculous amount of days off and switching the first round from 3 out of 5 to 4 of 7 the playoffs drag on for what seems like an eternity.

Injuries will play a big part of round one.

-Brandon Roy tears his meniscus which means curtains for my Blazers v the Suns
    -Carlos Boozer dinged up for Utah, his health is paramount for the Jazz v the Nuggets.
    -Andrew Bogut has been terrific for Milwaukee and the Bucks looked like they could pull a first round surprise, but he's out and they're toast.

The West has 4 good matchups, the East has 4 crap ones (yawn, what's new?).

13. LaxAttack

Another chance to knock the Spurs out of the playoffs. It never gets old.*

*Now watch SA win the series.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

There's no way the Lakers get to the finals let alone win a title. We should be beating the Thunder easily. If we get lucky at home against the Thunder, how the fuck would we get past the Nuggets or Mavericks? It isn't happening.

15. SoCalJoe

The Nuggets are banged up and not having George Karl has really hurt them. The Mavs gag more than a contestant on Fear Factor (sorry Lax). I will agree that this level of play won't cut it for the Fake Show. Biggest problem is the point guard combo of Derrick Fisher/Jordan Farmar, they are far below average (and that's being kind).

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Being totally honest, I hope we don't win the title. Sure it'd be nice to add another title to the trophy room, but a veteran team who blows a double digit lead in the 3rd quarter to a team who's played 3 games in the playoffs don't deserve to win an NBA title.

This veteran team knew it had an advantage down low. This veteran team decides to shoot 28 or so 3-pt shots. That's not good basketball, that's garbage basketball you'll find at some shit pick up game.

I can't wait to the offseason as its time for Phil and Fisher and Farmer and Walton and Mbenga and Bynum to go.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I sat through the entire Lakers game and wish I had listened to what my mind was saying during the first quarter. That was, "this is the Houston series and we're going to get our asses beat during the rest of the game.". Westbrook is the new Aaron Brooks, but what scares me is that Houston didn't have a superstar like Durant so they have a real chance of winning this series.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the NFL my favorite team is whoever is playing the Redskins.
    In the EPL my SECOND favorite team is whoever is playing Chelsea.

Guess my 2nd favorite team in the NBA

GO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

GO CAVS

Lebron and the Cavs management are under huge pressure to win it all given the situation with Lebron and all the help brought in. Should be a fun ride.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's like you have hidden insight, dude! 8)

It ain't over. All we need is a drummer for the SA Spurs to look like a colonial tableaux. Lots of injuries and age creeping [leaping?] in.