NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 16, 2007.

?

NBA Playoff Winner?

1. Detroit Pistons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. San Antonio Spurs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. SOMEONE ELSE, YOU IDIOT!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I really hope the Suns win. I have never been a big Spurs fan (Sorry Don!) and I am tired of Bruce Bowen and the flopper known as Manu Ginobili. I respect the coaching staff and Tim Duncan, but I would love to see Steve Nash take these chumps down.

But, to get back to SoCalJoe's post, this is definitely an old-school, bad blooded, no-holds barred series. I just hope suspensions don't throw it into even more chaos.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

hell yeah Tom....the Suns are my second team!!!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As long as you're not slagging the Spurs, like my buddy Tom. Best citizens in the game. The only shame in this series is that it's not the NBA final.

Speaking of shame. If Sloan doesn't win coach of the year ONE MORE FRIGGIN' time I think I'm gonna swear out loud. What does he have to do?

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Who would have thought that "Big Shot Rob" Robert Horry would strike again? but this time it was a cheapshot. How about a little common sense on this one league office?? Forget all this 'letter of the law' stuff, bottom line is the Spurs got rewarded for Horry's frustration. The Phoenix arena is going to be a hornet's nest tonight, but you gotta like the Spurs chances to get homecourt right back.

Congrats to the Jazz, the Warriors need more help inside and need to keep their composure better.

Didn't see any of the Bulls game, just the score and scratched my head...what happened??

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is similar to the West Ham point deduction/fine argument. The letter of the law is the letter of the law. You don't back off it because it might hurt Utah in the series any more than you don't dock West Ham points because it might send them down to the CCC.

It sucks, but players have to be smart and disciplined enough to follow the rules. It's a shame about Diaw and Stoudamire, but them's the rules and there's plenty of precedent set.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

A couple of things......Congrats to Omsdogg and his Utah Jazz for beating my Warriors. They were the better team and deserved to move on. It looked as though the Warriors simply ran out of gas. Playing a short, 8-man rotation probably caught up with the team and I am convinced that Baron Davis is NOT quite 100%. That is not to take away from the Jazz as they have a solid team that will look to play the underdog role in the Western Conference Finals.

Secondly, the Bulls shot lights out last night....that is why they won. I think they have figured out the Pistons zone and just shot the heck out of the ball. I believe at one point late in the second quarter they wer shooting 70% or something.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm disappointed the Jazz/Warriors series didn't go longer. I think both teams got an awful lot of pub from the national media which was well deserved since neither was shown very often nationally this year. Golden State just wore down cuz they had no size. Could you imagine Golden State if they had a big man like Stoudemire?

As far as the Spurs/Suns series...I can't believe STUpid JACKSON went ahead and suspended Amare and Diaw for tonight's game. i know the "law" states that if someone leaves the bench during an altercation that it's an automatic one game suspension, but i also thought the league has a rule that if you take a shot at someone's head it is an automatic one game suspension (Baron Davis taking out Fisher). This double standard makes the NBA look like a joke...it's time for Commissioner Stern and Stu Jackson to step down. In no way should Baron Davis been suspended....the correct decision there was made because it's a star league, and fans want to see the stars playing. If an exception was made in his case it undoubtedly should be made for Amare and Diaw.

As far as the Bulls and Detoit...i didn't even know there was basketball being played in the East. :)

8. SoCalJoe

Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in a NBA town (Portand) ala Phoenix/San Antonio where one of my earliest sports memories was watching the Blazers win the title. I loved the NBA, but the quality of play (I actually attempted to watch the 2nd half of the Cavs/Nets game last night...pudrid is the word that comes to mind) and lack of great series' has driven me off.

Now this decision by the league to suspend the 2 Suns' players for a game the decides a 2-2 series nearly 85% of the time when there was plenty of grey area, not black and white as that idiot Stern is contesting has ruined the best series the league has seen for 5 years. Talking to a couple of my buddies that live in the Phoenix area they were so gutted that they couldn't even put it into words. I'd suggest that if Mr.Stern was planning on ever retiring to Arizona he might want to change his plans. It's no wonder that frankly I'm now more interested in what FFC does in the off-season than what happens the rest of this playoffs.

9. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

My favorite piece on the Stoudamire/Diaw suspensions...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=nba

I don't know how many of you are Sports Guy readers/fans, but he's as big of an NBA junkie as there is and even he is convinced that the league sucks now and this put the exclamation point on it.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the problem with that. First he points out that the rule's been there for a while. Then he points out that assistant coaches know what to do. Then, finally, he points out that the rule is the primary reason there haven't been any bench clearing brawls since the rule was instituted.

Then he calls it stupid, brainless, etc. I expect no more from a Celtics fan.

But certainly you, mnlandshark, can see the leap from the one to the other is based on emotion NOT logic.

If Stern decides to ignore the rule because "it might destroy the balance of the playoffs" then the NBA is as stupid as the EPL is for deciding not to deduct points from West Ham "because it would mean certain relegation and the fans shouldn't have to suffer."

I'm surprised I have to keep saying this! :shock:

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

NBA? NBA? Are they still around?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Once again I'm reminded why I LOVE IT when the Spurs win in the Delta Center --or whatever it is these days. Jerry Sloan is one of the classiest guys in any sport. His players are good pros and tough competitors.

It's just a shame that the Jazz "fans" are such crap. Both teams showed a lot of heart tonight [game 4] but the "fans" just showed their collective ass.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I am currently interning in Salt Lake City and the city seems to be Jazz crazy. Not sure how good of fans they are or if they are just fair weather/glory hunters. (not much of an NBA fan to be truthful)

From what the die hard supporters of the Jazz tell me the majority of fans just hopped on the bandwagon. Sloan and his players seem to be a classy, bunch but they just don't have what it takes to beat the Spurs. Doesn't help the Jazz cause when the best front court player in the game is on the opposing team either.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Superman!

Caught the LeBron James show last night. Wow! What an incredible player he is. He's dragging a fairly average Cadaver team along with him, and I think they're going to beat the Pistons and probably beat the Spurs one or two games in the finals. I hope people appreciate this kid; you don't get but one or two like him a decade.

Having said that, the Pistons are on the way down. It's understandable after 5 straight years in the Eastern Conference finals. After watching last night, it's plain to me that there are two important components to the Pistons juggernaut that are missing and not adequately replaced -- Ben Wallace and Larry Brown. Sheed has the skill set, but not the temprament to command the back line, and what exactly does Rick Carlisle bring to the bench?

Nevermind. Go Spurs Go. Four more cups of free coffee coming up! :banana:

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Superman!

The kid has heard the critics and stepped up to them.

I have to always stifle a snort of derision when he's compared unfavorably to Jordan.

HE IS NO JORDAN!!!! Partly because he doesnt really have a John Paxson or a Scottie Pippen. And, partly, because there will never be another Jordan.

LeBron just makes the squad players run to keep up with him. Now compare him to a 22 year old Jordan... or Kobe, for that matter. He's more of a 'full grown man' than Kobe is right now.

16. SoCalJoe

A buddy and I caught the final minutes and OTs at the Budweiser Patio at the Angel Stadium (big screen TVs in one area, turn around and Vlad is patrolling right field, life was pretty good until the wives call wanting to know where their beers were). Have to say his performance was beyond description w/simple adjectives.

Funny how the media 3 games ago were spewing crap about this kid not being ready to take over. All he did was score ALL of Cleveland's pts. in both OTs. This has to be considered one of the greatest playoff performance of all time (especially given the series circumstances).

Don, you're right about the Pistons, except plug in Flip Saunders instead of Rick Carlisle (the latter was the coach before Brown). However, they're very capable of going down to Cleveland and winning a game to take it to 7.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

LeBron was sensational last night. I could not believe my eyes watching that unfold the way it did. I have been the first person to criticize him for not stepping up and being more assertive and aggressive all season long and he finally is doing that the last three games.

Notice how in interviews after the last three games he has used the word "aggressive" countless times.

This was a performance for the ages. I just hope the Cavs can close out the Pistons.

It would be nice to see HatterDon's Spurs against Pettyfog's Cavaliers!!! Should be some good banter there.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Free Cup of Coffee!

Well, just as I had predicted from the git-go, the NBA finals opened with Dallas against Detroit. :shock: What? Okay, so I was SLIGHTLY wrong. :oops:

Anyhow, I'm off to get my free cup of coffee in a half hour or so -- the local Valero chain gives them away after each Spurs playoff win. :banana: Only caught the last few minutes of the game because of the Guatemala match, but it's pretty much as I figured. Cleveland has a lot of heart and LeBron is a monster, but they're not deep enough in their starting five [never mind their rotation] to beat the Spurs -- this year. But Mike Brown is a class act and he'll get them back.

Sigh, only three more free cups to go. 8)

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Free Cup of Coffee!

Oh yeah, the NBA.

Which should stand for....?

Anyone have any good ones?

20. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

RE: Free Cup of Coffee!

I'm drawing a blank...I was trying to incorporate Barkley in there somehow.