NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 16, 2007.

?

NBA Playoff Winner?

1. Detroit Pistons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. San Antonio Spurs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. SOMEONE ELSE, YOU IDIOT!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lakers out - Kobe: "We need a big player"

Obvious even to me, as said on M&M... Kobe ran Shaq out of town. LA mediocre since.

But Shaq DID get someone ELSE a ring.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: Lakers out - Kobe: "We need a big player"

also obvious ... if Kobe was a team-oriented superstar like, say, Tim Duncan, how many more rings would he have already?

What amazes me whenever I happen to watch the Lakers the last couple of years is how the deluded home crowd bleats "MVP MVP" for the one player who has guaranteed their mediocrity.

While I'm happy Kobe is finished for the rest of the year, I'd feel a lot better playing them in the next round, rather than Phoenix.

Go Spurs Go!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: Lakers out - Kobe: "We need a big player"

I get sick and tired of hearing MVP chants in most every arena these days. I can understand if crowds want to chant MVP to actual MVP candidates, but do not chant MVP about Chris Bosh, Shaq or LeBron James. While all three have had good seasons, they are NOT MVP caliber this season.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As a long-suffering Blazer fan and a card carrying Laker hater its always nice to see the evil empire stuck in the land of mediocrity. However, the argument that "Kobe doesn't make anyone around him better" is hollow. I love watching Duncan play, but who is easier to make "better" Ginobli, Tony Parker, Finley, Bowen, etc.. vs Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, or Luke Walton??? Take away Kobe and the bottom-line is the Lakers' roster is arguably the worst in the league.

Everyone out here is crying for Kevin Garnett, but I wouldn't trade a book of wet matches for anyone the Lakers have to offer.
    If LA gets Kevin McHale to take Lamar "Mr Inconsistent" Odom, and Andrew Bynum the 7 footer who doesn't work hard then all T-Wolves fans should force McHale to live in one of those ice-fishing huts for all eternity.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I also do not buy the Kobe is too selfish moniker he seems to get. In past seasons, I could see his selfishness, but having watched a number of Laker games this season, I will be the first to tell you that Kobe was far from selfish this season.

He made attempts to get his teammates involved in the game. The bottom line is that his cast of teammates are NOT very good. Odom is okay, but as SoCalJoe mentioned, he is radically inconsistent at best and the rest of the Lakers are just not that good. I do think Bynum could be a good center in time, but presently, he is still young and learning.

Kobe does take a lot of shots, but it is because he has given his teammates chances and they have consistently let Kobe down. Thus, he does NOT trust them. Kobe needs to get another player or two around him. If the Lakers could get themselves a good perimeter scorer as well as a more consistent effort from Odom, the Lakers could be close. Anytime you have a player like Kobe, you have a chance.

Bottom line is this, the Lakers would not have even come close to sniffing the playoffs if Kobe was not on the team scoring as he did this season. Don't blame all of the Lakers issues on Kobe. He does deserve some blame, but not all of it.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember when Julio Lugo -- then the Astros heir apparent at shortstop -- was restrained by a security guard at the ballpark from beating up his wife [he'd had a tough game, poor lad]. Lugo was immediately released from his contract and waived out of the league. He landed at Tampa Bay and now is the regular shortstop for the RedSox. So I guess, he too got a pass for beating his wife, but I've always been kinda proud of Drayton MacLane for that bit of moral leadership.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, the impossible has happened....the Warriors have defeated the Mavericks in six games. I have been following the Warriors the better part of three seasons and I am soooooo happy for this team and the many loyal Warriors fans who have been starving to see this team succeed in the playoffs. Now it will be either the Jazz or the Rockets in the Western Conference Semifinals.

Baron Davis and Matt Barnes will definitely enjoy the days off between the series as both have hamstring injuries. I hope the Warriors can not suffer a letdown in the next round after this momentous first round knockout!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The Warriors have been the best playoff story in many, many years. The flat out whupped the best team in the NBA and they did it with cast-off/suspect players.

Best of luck in round 2, Nellie!

10. SoCalJoe

Great story for the Warriors and Nellie (his teams have always been fun to watch). How did the Mavs win 67 games in the first place?? It was obvious that Dallas' choke job from last year affect them this short playoff run.

Two great series coming up.(wish they were for the conference titles). The Bulls-Pistons (almost forgot these 2 teams were still in the "layoffs", hope it doesn't take 3 games to get it going) is an out and out grudge match. The Suns-Spurs should go 7 and has all the makings of being an instant classic.

11. SoCalJoe

It would benefit the league if the Warriors advance, but have to give a tip of the hat to the Utah Jazz. I kind of figured once Stockton/Malone were out to pasture that they would never be heard from again, but they've reloaded w/a solid team and Jerry Sloan has got to be considered one of the best coaches in any sport over the last 20 years.

Even when he was playing for the Evil Empire out here in La-La land, I couldn't help but like & respect Derrick Fisher (a true leader). For him to get off a plane after his infant daughter's 911 cancer surgery, go to the arena, and contribute when an injury/foul trouble made it a necessity was incredible.

All that said, still hoping Golden State holds home-court (how 'bout making a couple free throws guys??), and manages to advance to meet Spurs-Suns winner.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As someone who has watched most every Warriors game the last few seasons, there is a reason this team was 42-40 and barely made the playoffs. Unfortunately, two of those reasons were witnessed by all last night.......bad free throw shooting and poor defensive rebounding.

If the Warriors had made a free throw or two in the final 30 seconds rather than go 1 for 4 as they did, this series would be tied at 1. As it is, they trail 2-0.

As a Warriors fan it pains me to see the team down 2-0, but I can take consolation in the fact that they probably could have and should have won both games thus far in the series.

I hope fatigue does NOT become a factor as the Warriors play a short rotation. Baron looked winded and I still do NOT think he is 100% healthy.

The bottom line is that Utah held serve at home. With the raucous crowd at the Oracle in Oakland tomorrow night, I expect the Warriors to win tomorrow and Sunday and has this series even heading back to Utah. This should be a great series.

Credit to Derek Fisher as well. I also do NOT like the Lakers but Fisher always seemed like a class act on and off the floor which unfortunately is rare these days. I hope things work out for the best with his daughter.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Hey Tom...what series already after just two games! I'm looking forward tonight...got my Booz jersey on already. :) make yourself hoarse shouting at the TV tonight. have a good one!

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Warriors, come out and plaayyeee!!

15. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I cant stand Bill Walton, he's just annoying.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Omsdogg, it has been a great series thus far. If the Warriors win on Sunday night it is anyone's guess who will take the series. Needless to say if one can't get entertained watching this series you have no business watching the NBA.

Lastly, no matter what team you are cheering for the Baron Davis dunk over Andrei Kirilenko was just sick!! I can't find it yet on YouTube, but if you have NOT seen it, you must. It is astonishing.

17. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

My Detroit pick looks good so far

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yeah...that was tight!!! i loved how kirilenko...instead of being all defensive, kind of laughed it off and said at least he'd be in some posters. great win by the Jazz last night. Can't wait for game 5....still got my Booz jersey on! :)

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The Warriors definitely have their backs against the wall. As I said to my brother before the series started, the Warriors do NOT have an answer for Carlos Boozer. He is a man among boys on the block and has been very hard to defend all series long. If Boozer plays as he has in the first four games, the Warriors have very little hope of winning. I still have faith and believe though.

20. SoCalJoe

This series between the Suns/Spurs has been a throwback to some of the great rivalries of the 80s/90s. This is shaping up to be the best series of the entire playoffs (and probably of the last 5 years at this rate). Hope it goes the distance.