NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Ah ha, I think we are speaking a different language because what I read and posted was that they will be contenders (i.e. one of the top four teams in the west) and what you are posting is champions. Big difference in the two.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I did say that they shouldn't even be considered a top 3 team in the west yet.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

No one is saying they are the future title winners every year 24. We're just saying let's not crown the Lakers as the next dynasty which you are doing. We're just saying there are a lot of quality teams out there and that the West will continue to be a battle every year for the forseeable future. As far as your arguement about best bench, here are some statistics.

http://82games.com/benchstats.htm

Is the Lakers bench one of the best in the League? Yep
    Is the Lakers bench the best bench in the League? Maybe

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As a coach Doug Collins as always been a good commentator. Perfect assessment of the Spurs when he talked about their penchant for going on scoring draughts. Ginoboli can't shoot like that if the Spurs are going to have a chance to win a game in LA. Teams w/longer layoffs usually take a game to get back in a groove, so the purple and yellow should win the Game 2 easier than last night.

The biggest WTF moment for Spurs fans had to be some dude named Udoka taking 2 enormous shots in the final 2 minutes w/the game in the balance.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ,

a couple of mitigators here: The Spurs were stuck on the tarmac in NO and didn't get into LA until about 9 a.m. Monday morning. The didn't practice on Monday -- the only non-game day. And, yes, Ginobili had an awful night, but you expect that.

The sad thing is that this would have been the game for them to steal, but not having Manu deliver in the second half is so rare it seemed that we're fated to go back to SA 0-2.

As for Udoka, he nailed several key baskets in the NO series, and may have been the game 7 difference maker. Every time NO fought back to within 5 or 7, he'd nail a big three. So, no. I wasn't upset or surprised to see him take those shots. Spurs fans know that Pop has a reason to put a guy on the floor in the last few minutes of a critical game.

6. SoCalJoe

One thing that should cause you and other Spur fans to worry is that the Laker fans were equally happy for Udoka to be shooting. I don't have a problem with him being on the floor, but at this stage of his career it's to play D, rebound, pass in the final 2 minutes of the Western Conference Finals . If I'm Pop, he has the green light for uncontested layups in the closing moments, otherwise give the rock to the guys with the rings (no matter how their night is going).

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

How can anybody use the excuse of not being able to practice as a reason why the Spurs lost? I'm tired of these pundits giving these guys excuses. I didn't blame Kobe not being able to practice for him not playing that well in game 4 in Utah. Seriously that's a joke. They lost because they always have those kinds of spurts where they go on vacation. They've been doing this for years now.

Anyways, that was a good game. We played like shit and still won. Both teams played like shit actually. Odom was like 3 for 11 and Fisher couldn't buy a bucket and Manu was obviously injured or something. I just hope we can get it up to the 100's as we could blow them out next game. The Spurs really need to keep the next game close, because if it's a blowout, it's going 5 games and no more. I know they have a record of just blowing off loses, but last nights loss was more than just a loss, it was a series changing comeback, even though it was only game 1.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We had 6 or 7 old guys on life support, and we completely shut down your offense, but you don't see any need for excuses.

FFC24, as we used to say way last century when I was in the military, "you are as full of shit as a Christmas turkey." That don't mean that you're not entertaining. Later, bro.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I said we played like shit. We did play like shit. Is it our fault that you guys decide to bring in everybodys leftovers for the bench? No it's not. I know this isn't the regular season, but you're having a laugh with the excuse of "we got into LA at 9 am on Monday" crap. Whoop-de-doo. LA had a 9 game road swing in February in 17 days, I suppose we should blame the 2 losses on the travel? Another reason why this exucse is so shitty is because you guys have a month-long road-swing EVERY year and you should be used to the travel. It's no excuse.

Anyways, our offense was crap, but we won and that's all there is to it. We played like shit and won. We're gonna win the series and if tonight is a blowout, you guys are going down in 5.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm going to type this slowly so you can understand. Had Wednesday been a regular season game against the Lakers, Pop would have played Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili about 15-18 minutes each and would have left town with a loss with no problem.

When you compare a mid-season road swing with a conference title series in May, you're showing your ass. That's okay, 'cause I know you're just talking trash, and that's always appropriate re-basketball. Just ask yourself how good you feel about a bunch of tired zombies "and everybody's leftovers for the bench" shutting down your offense for the entire game. What was it? a 30-point drop off from your post-season average?

If you're going to be confident, be that way because you know that ABC will ensure that the Lakers win the west. My only hope for tonight's game is that it's later in the evening so I can be off the roads before it's over and all the drunks get in their cars to drive home. I have a gig tonight.

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

You guys shut us down, so what? Did we win? Yes, therefore I don't feel the need to talk any shit about us being shut-down. We beat you guys at your game, you guys should be the ones worried, not us.

Also you fail to acknowledge the real reason why you lost, the spurt of the Lakers going on that run to cut it to 7. You guys always have a problem with spurts like these, yet you feel the need to blame it on the travel.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

dang;
    m u s t
    t y p e
    s l o w e r

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I got the point of the post. You're wrong.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

this is a nice rivalry we have going here.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

suppose they gave an NBA playoff game and only the home team showed up?

Man, am I glad I was playing music and couldn't watch that game.

Props to all the Lakers and to FFC24. We'll see what the Spurs have left in the tank on Sunday.

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I said if we blew them out, it'd go 5. I'm sticking by it. I really was expecting something from the Spurs and they gave absolutely nothing. Another spurt from the Spurs gave the game away. The Lakers now need to focus everything into wining 1 out of 2 in SA. If they do that, game 5 is a lock. If they don't then this shit is going 7 like what was originally supposed to happen.

MY only problem with last nights game was the fact that we only scored 101 points. The Spurs defense still held us to 11 points below our playoff average. This is worrying. We really need to start playing our type of Basketball again. I want run n gun not walk n shoot.

17. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I guess the Celtics needed a must-win situation to get themselves going on the road?

I was pleasantly surprised that they actually won, considering that Detroit is one of the toughest places to play in the Association.

18. SoCalJoe

We went down to San Diego for the weekend with some friends and being downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter at a packed tavern watching the Fakers get smacked around was great fun. Besides my wife and friends rooting for the purple and yellow most of the locals were pulling against LA more as oppossed to being Spurs fans (except for the loudest guy in the bar w/an old Ice Man Gervin jersey on).

Game 3 was pretty predictable and now tonights game will be the decider on whether or not it will be a long series. Should be like Game 1 w/it coming down to the final minutes.

24, don't expect your boys to score 112 in San Antonio unless it goes overtime, first team to 100 should be the winner.

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Bye bye SA.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

24, I really want us to take game 5 in LA. I'm not sure whether I want it because I want to rag on the Lakers or because I want another free cup of coffee. The series is defo the Lakers, because nobody is going to beat them three straight.

You have to admit, though; that the loss had very little to do with Laker defense. The Spurs had open looks all night long and clanked the majority of them. If Ginobili has even a poor shooting night, the Lakers would have lost by 5. Fair do's, though. They took advantage of every weakness.

Added note -- coaching contrast.

a. Popovich on the last play and the refs: "If I had been the referee, I wouldn't have called a foul. Does that answer everything for you?"

b. Jackson on Kobe and the refs: "I don't know how Kobe takes 20+ shots and doesn't get fouled. You'd have to ask someone else."

Class is class and ass is ass.