NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Cavs are out and my only hope is people will now start calling for a new head coach!!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry, SoCalJoe; I watched it live and I've seen it several times. It's a simple back-check. What hurt West was that he left his feet [to go after the pass] while moving back. Had he stayed on his feet or, had he not had back problems already, none of this happens.

And please don't add this to all the Phoenix tears [enough to green the desert] about the "hack job" on Nash. As the VanGundy said in the studio right after THAT foul, it shouldn't even have been a flagrant.

Anywho, if West is at full speed tonight, then the Hornets host the Lakers. No complaints; they're a very good TEAM coached by a seriously class act. For what Kobe and Pao are about to receive, may the lord make them truly thankful.

If, on the other hand, West is still hampered and our big three take over, then it's a free cup of coffee for me in the morning and on to LA.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Back-checks are legal in the NHL, but in the NBA you can't lower your shoulder and apply a hit (which he did). Your allowed to back-pick which means standing your ground and absorbing the contact (which he didn't). The fact that he did it against a player w/a bad back (not exactly a secret) and who the Spurs can't guard... :?

BTW it wasn't the foul on Nash (it was a cheap shot no matter what that moron Van Gundy says) it was the idiotic decision by the NBA to reward the foul that leaves Suns fans crying (trust me, they'll be whining about that until they actually win a title, which could mean forever)

I'm not saying that having a dirty player is a bad thing come playoff time. What better than have a player who can't contribute w/his skills anymore, do what's necessary to advance. I wouldn't expect Spurs fans to regard him as a cheap-shot artist, but the bottom-line is that what he's turned into.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Go Hornets!!

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Go anybody but the Lakers and Spurs! Sorry Don and 24, but hate your teams. The Spurs cuz they've been a thorn in my side for years!!! And the Lake Show cuz I hate Kobe, no matter how good he is! Come on Celtics!!!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"To dream the impossible dream ... " :3d funny: :3d laughing:

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ah, free coffee in the morning after all.

Omsdogg, FFC24, SCJ, ChiTom, and whoever else is deeply into this thread, I'm here to tell you that if Scott can pick up one or two decent team-oriented bench players, and get a good draft pick at #27 -- Parker and Ginobili were very late round 1 and round 2 picks -- New Orleans will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time.

If they had any depth in the bench, they'd have taken us in 5. The quickest, fastest, smartest, and most creative player in the league will be watching the rest of the playoffs on TV. I think this is the earliest summer break he'll have for a very long time.

CP3=MVP!

8. SoCalJoe

Last night was a 'been there, done that' performance from the champs. The future does look bright for NO, but there are a couple of issues...The 1st is the owner is regarded as the third worst in the NBA (slightly above Sterling w/the Clippers, and the A-Hole in Memphis). The second (along w/the addition(s) Don said) is Tyson Chandler. This guys should be much further along than he is. He's been in the league way to long not to have anything besides alley-oop dunks. Where is the array of hooks, post moves, and mid-range shots?? This speaks to the fact his work habits in the off season haven't been priority one.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Having said that, the SA press and Spurs fans are talking about Chandler almost as much as they're raving about Paul. From the beginning of the season to the end there's been a tremendous overall improvement. He wound up playing Duncan 1 on 1 and held him to 5 for 17 last night.

Didn't know about their owner.

10. SoCalJoe

The NBA couldn't have drawn it up any better;

East:
    The keys for Detroit are; how is Chauncey's hamstring? and if there is a bump in the road will Flip Saunders be a good enough coach to get it back on track?
    For Boston; The Big 3 have been the Big 2, w/Ray Allen looking like he'd prefer to pour in 25 a night for a crap team than rising to the pressure of playoff hoops. It doesn't get any easier for him since he'll likely draw Rip Hamilton who is a tireless, relentless type of player. The other obvious one is the Celtics road form which has been utterly pathetic. Basing it on the previous rounds I'll take the Pistons in 6

West:
    Keys for Lakers; Kobe's back (Bowen and Horry will look to be "physical' w/him). Lamar Odom has all the tools to be a perrenial all-star, but only seems to shine when he's the 3rd option, which is what he is right now.
    For the Spurs; how much in the tank do they have left to turn right around and play LA? The Big 3 will be fine, but they will have to have someone else contribute, the best candidate is Michael Finley. As much as it pains me I'll pick the Lakers in 7

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm really not happy with that result. Now I'm gonna have to sit through 7 games instead of 5. The Spurs are a quality team and I hate to say it, but I think they should be favorites. THIS BEING SAID, I pick the Lakers to win in 7. I like our young bench and this will be the key to our victory, I hope.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I don't see it this way. Paul is gonna have to do more than have one really good season, same with the rest of the team. Remember, The Lakers have the best bench in the league and one of the youngest benches too. They also have Bynum coming back. They'll be #1 next year. You're hating on the Spurs a little too much too. If they get younger on the bench, they'll be #2 and then we always have the Suns,Rockets,Mavericks etc. Everybody really needs to get off of the Hornets' balls here. I realize they had a really good season, but lets put things in a realistic context here.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

are you serious 24?

[Paul is gonna have to do more than have one really good season, same with the rest of the team.]

Other than this year, tell me what the Lakers have done since the Shaq years? they've been Phoenix's Fodder! So what's the difference between N.O.'s great year and the Lakers? I'll tell you...1 game. If the Hornets had the #1 seed, that could've been the Lakers losing game 7 Monday night to the Spurs. As long as Chris Paul is in The Big Easy you can count on them being contenders...dude is a big time player!

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The difference is this. The Lakers have a big 4, the Hornets have a big 2. The Lakers also have the best bench in the NBA. That's the difference. Oh and we're one of the youngest teams in the league.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

keep telling yourself that, 24.

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

When you show me another bench that can put up 70 points in a game, then we'll talk.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Hey Big 24 back off the purple and gold throttle a little and actually read a few of the posts all the way through. First of all it sounds like most of the posters here agree that the Lakers should be the favorites to win the west but the only thing that will keep Chris Paul from pushing the Hornets to contender status every year may be injury. The kid has primere talent written all over him and his stats back that up. You really need to retract your one great year statement because it damages your credibility. Paul should have been unanimous rookie of the year and he has improved in almost every stat since his rookie year. Take a look below if you don't believe me.

Year G GS MPG FG% 3P% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    05-06 78 78 36.0 0.430 0.282 0.8 4.3 5.1 7.8 2.2 0.1 2.35 2.80 16.1
    06-07 64 64 36.8 0.437 0.350 0.8 3.5 4.4 8.9 1.8 0.1 2.52 2.40 17.3
    07-08 80 80 37.6 0.488 0.369 0.8 3.2 4.0 11.6 2.7 0.1 2.51 2.30 21.1
    Playoff 12 12 40.5 0.502 0.238 1.3 3.6 4.9 11.3 2.3 0.2 1.83 3.60 24.1

A better than 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio for the season is insane. Really good point guards manage a better than 2 to 1 ratio. Deron Williams, who I believe is also destined for stardom, managed a better than 3 to 1 ratio and that is considered excellent.

The real test of greatness comes in the playoffs though and all great players step up when it counts. CP3 was no exception. Hands down Chris Paul has been the best player in this years playoffs. It was not LeBron, nor Kobe, nor KG.

The opinion of most NBA experts who spout on the subject seems to be that a players third year in the league is their real coming out party. What you see in that year is what you can expect in the long haul. If that is true for Chris Paul he is going to wind up a legend among point guards.

If you want to tell me the Lakers are a better team right now I'll buy that. However, don't try to tell me the Hornets can't compete with them right now and if the lure of playing with Chris Paul doesn't attract some more talent to the Big Easy I'll be extremely surprised.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I will say it, the Hornets will not be able to compete with the Lakers next season. Not gonna happen.

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

FFC24= Laker FANatic!

Never have met one yet that could see things clearly. Thats OK though because I know my Colts are going to find a way to crush the Patriots next season.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Here's the thing though, I'm not a fanatic. If my team is shit, then trust me, I'm gonna say they're shit and probably add a few words to that. I thought Kobe was being a bitch last off-season. I really did. In fact, I thought we should've traded him. I see your lots arguments, but the Hornets coach has never won anything and furthermore Paul has only had one run at the playoffs. Also, how does Chandler all of a sudden become decent? I mean there is still alot of shit they have to prove. I know everybody is ready to annoint them future title winners every year, but let's see what they do next year. If they can actually challenge the Lakers and Spurs, then I'll be ready to say they're ready to be considered one of the best teams in the West.