NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

lighten up on LeBron everyone. He got a team full of has beens, wanna be's and pretenders to the NBA finals last season. Let the guy have a couple of bad games, fer goones sake. And if you Ohioans are tired of him, we'll take him down here in South Texas any day.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm talking about Lebron as a whole. He has done some really good things, but people have went overboard with him. We need to put things in a historical context. He's not as good as the best players in the history at this point in his career.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okay, here's a little historical context for you. I only go back to 1960 or so watching the NBA, so I can't talk a lot about George Mikan or some of the early players, but here's the best I've ever seeen in order:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Oscar Robertson
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Larry Bird
    5. Magic Johnson
    6. Jerry West
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Kevin McHale
    9. Elgin Baylor
    10. Tiny Archibald

Of current players, the only one I see threatening that top 10 is Shaq.

Then there's players who I thought, for at least one season, were the best in the league. In addition to what you see above, of course.

Bob Cousey, Kareem, Bill Walton, Isaiah Thomas, Hakeem, Pete Maravich, Clyde Drexler, Doc Rivers, The Answer, The Round Mound of Rebound, Jason Kidd, Dominique Wilkins, Shaq, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett

There's others, but that's a pretty representative list.

Now then, here's who I consider to be the best players in the game right now:

1. Tim Duncan
    2. Chris Paul
    3. Kevin Garnett
    4. Lebron James
    5. Chauncy Billups

There's a lot of guys who are close to that top 5 -- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, for example -- but Amare Stoudamire and Kobe aren't there primarily because of their lack of defensive intensity.

Your mileage may vary; lather, rinse, repeat.

Hey, I'm trying not to spend the ENTIRE week obsessing about Sunday morning.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Yes, the GM is Danny Ferry and what he needs is a head coach who knows how to run an offense. Brown has done a great job with the Cavs on defense but he hasnt a clue on the other side of the court. I dont even recognize half of what they do out there.

And Don I havent seen any Ohio posters complaining about Lebron so dont go trying to nick him.

By the way, Danny Ferry's girls play soccer in the same youth league as my boys. They are good!

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Kobe not in the top 5 today? He's the best player today. I know you have a problem with Kobe and that's cool, but even I could acknowledge when a player is great if he is on a team I hate. Kobe is one of the best 5 players in the history ALREADY. He's gonna surpass MJ. I'll give reasons in a moment.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know; but first you gotta get back to your inspirational substances. :lol:

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Alright here's why Kobe is the best player today in the game.

1- When the time comes for him to bring it, he does. Unlike others in this league, Kobe shines in the 4th qtr more often than not. In fact ALOT more often than not. I've seen him score 25+ points in a 4th quarter to win a game. He's been doing this for years now. Going back to the start of the 1st title run in 1999.

2- He DOES play good defense. He can lock down the other teams best player. He was on the all-defensive team how many times? All of the break-away dunks aren't because he just goes along with the flow on defense. It's because he picks the pocket of the opposing teams player.

3- He might of been an idiot an dselfish, but nobody can doubt his dedication to the game. He is the most dedicated player this game has ever seen. This is fact. I don't think anybody can doubt this. This is why he keeps improving each year. If Lebron takes a page outta Kobe's book on dedication, he'll become one of the top 10 players ever. I haven't seen Lebron improve much from year to year in the last 2-3 seasons. Kobe improves something of his game each year. That's impressive for a guy who is already a lock as the #1 player in the game.

Alright, here's why I think he'll surpass Jordan.

Take all 3 of the things I said above and add these.

1- He'll add 4-5 more titles. Jordan had 6, Bryant will have 7-8. Maybe even more. Also remember that when Jordan played, the league was not at it's best. The West and the East were not that good. Now the West is possibly the best conference in the history of the game. There is 10-12 teams that compete for playoff spots. Just getting outta the West is a difficult task. If Kobe wins 7 titles or more, I think that should automatically put him over the top.

2- He'll continue to break records. He'll be the first Laker to break 35,000 points. He'll have alot of the Laker records to his name and this is impressive considering the talent that has played for this great franchise.

My top 5 players of all-time as of right now.

MJ
    Magic
    Wilt
    Kobe
    Bird

The top 3 are pretty inseparable, I think. all 3 are greats of the game. Kobe and Bird are the 2nd tier of great players. As I've said though, when it's all said and done, Kobe will be the best player ever.

My top 5 in todays game

Kobe
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Paul
    Lebron

I think you guys need to get over your hatred for the Purple and Gold. I know you hate them because they win almost non-stop, but my hatred of the Spurs and their shit style doesn't make me think of Duncan as not in the top 5 in todays game. Kobe is the definite best player today, no doubt.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I know I have missed most of this thread but I had to take a minute and say that Mike Brown is a joke of a coach. The reason this team made the finals last season and had made the playoffs this year is NOT because of his coaching, but because of the exceptional play of LeBron James.

I like the Cavs and with the Warriors and Bulls out I am pulling for them. However, until they get a new coach and that will make the team play as a unit and not just watch LeBron and expect LeBron to do everything they will never become the team they can be with a star like LeBron.

Mike Brown needs to go.

10. Clevelandmo

Don, you're missing Dr. J completely from that list.

Also, Lebron will be in the top 10 players of all time. You guys seem to forget that he started in the NBA as a teenager yet has still produced stats that fall just short of Jordon at the same point in his career, except that Lebron is is four years younger. Also, he has had the handicap of playing for a guy who is essentially an assistant coach.

I also cant understand the inclusion of Kevin McHale in that list. I loved the guy but if I was going to pick that team's two best players it would be Bird and Parish, not McHale. Also, I would probably put John Havlecik above both Parish and McHale.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I should have put Dr. J in my "best in the league" list. I blame old age [mine, not his] for the ommission.

I agree with you about Mike Brown. He's a great defensive coach [good Spurs lineage], but he needs some help with the offense. This isn't unusual. Take the legendary Red Auerbach for instance. In Bill Bradley's book he said that the Knicks didn't even have any plays until they traded for Dave DeBusscbere. He brought some plays with him. Man, I think I pulled a hammy trying to spell that name!

As for McHale, I agree with people like Charles Barkley, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, etc. etc. that he was the best power forward in history.

By the way, I only started this roundball nonsense to put the wind up FFC24 and to give me something to think about other than Sunday at 0900 central.

12. SoCalJoe

I agree Don, this is what shrinks call a "positive diversion".

24, while I'll agree that Kobe is the best player (painful as that is for this hater) but every superstar the game has ever known has worked hard to get there (not sure which number on the list, but its the one in where you said he's the hardest worker ever). Bird went home to French Lick and worked on his game for 10 hours a day. Magic and Jordan couldn't shoot from the outside at all when they were breaking into the league, but by the end of their respective careers could (not by osmosis either).

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I'll admit it, the Lakers are tough. At the same time, the Jazz haven't been at their best either, and I disagree that Kobe hasn't been far from dominant. Game 1 was one of the better performances he's put up all time! Kobe is a much better player now because he finally is understanding that you have to be willing to pass the ball to the open player. Jordan went through the same faze so I won't disagree with you that he could end up being the best ever. Still, the Lakers aren't the only young team around so I'm not ready to add all those extra rings to Kobe's fingers that you are. The West has several young teams like the Blazers, Rockets, Jazz, and Hornets who'll all be mixing it up for the next 5 years or more and that's just in the West. Don't forget the Hawks (there Terri, there's your props) in the East being a young talented team. As far as the Jazz/Lakers series that is ongoing I do expect the Lakers to win, but don't think we're going to lie down! I expect us coming back to L.A. with the series even and hopefully we can push it to a game 7. Come on Booz...get it together!

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

a funny thing happened ...

... on the way to the Lakers sweep of the Jazz.

You don't get out of SLC without some bumps and bruises. Jerry Sloan teams don't faint at headlines or hype. The bad news is that this will make the Lakers stronger. What a game by the Booz, though, huh doggie!

15. Clevelandmo

Don, Brown has had plenty of time to get an offensive clue; I'm afraid it's never going to happen.

I didnt know Barkley, Russell, and Bird had said that about McHale. That certainly counts for more than my opinion. That being said I still wouldnt put him in the top ten.

I'm also using this thread as a diversion. I'm too scared and nervous to say anything about Fulham.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

or Birmingham or Reading. I have all this information about injury lists and form lists and I'm afraid to type anything about it, so I'm yapping about the NBA.

We either need the largest group hug in the Western Hemisphere, or we need to buy stock in Mylanta.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I hope the damn Lakers can end this shit tomorrow. It's time for us to rise and beat the crap out of Utah like we should've been doing.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

your forgetting that Utah is a good team. Hard to beat the crap out of a good team. I expect another physical game and hopefully the Jazz can send it to a game 7, regardless if they can't win in L.A. I'll take anybody winning over the Lakers at this point. Sorry FFC24. :D

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Lakers learned alot last night. Don't get complacent on a 19 point game. The game was really far and away the Lakers game and they let the Jazz get back into the game with 5 minutes left. I'm actually glad that happened. We have a team full of players that have never been out of the first round and they learned 2 good lessons in the 2nd round this year. This experience will pay dividends come the next round and the finals.

20. SoCalJoe

Typical Laker fan, already looking ahead to the Finals. Let's hope they get as far as your Tarheels did :wink:

The Spurs/Hornets as been one of the strangest series of recent memory. Have to think they'll play a close one tonight. Don't care either way (just a good game will suffice), but even Don can't excuse what's going on w/'Cheap Shot Rob' Robert Horry. This guy is an utter embarrassment to a class organization like the Spurs.