NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

:lol:

Orlando is finally back on the basketball map again, the team looks really strong at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to catch at least one more game here!

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Just saw the Suns have been eliminated, so that means no title for Shaq and Grant Hill. So much for the hype around them, huh?

Come to think of it, Grant Hill still hasn't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs during his career. :3d laughing:

3. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Say what, Omsdogg?:
    "(sorry Atlanta FUSA members but your team is 6 games below .500)"

Um...did you SEE Monday night's GAME???!!!?? To be honest, it was the only basketball game I've seen this season, but it was worth it!!

GO HAWKS!!!

As Mr. Stipe said oh so many years ago...
    "There's lots of room for you on the BANDWAGON!"

-T

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Go Hawks!!

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Hornets apparently didn't get the memo that the defending champs were using them for a tune-up for the Lakers. The Spurs need to get some home cooking quick, because they don't want to back to the Big Easy down 3-1.

Chris Paul is flat out a great player, David West is way underrated, Peja is back shooting it like he did in Sacramento, and Byron Scott the coach who took the Nets (of all teams) to the Finals 2 years in a row and then was run out of town has got his team focused and playing w/a chip on their shoulder.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Props to Byron Scott. Mega-props to chris Paul. The series should be 1-1. The Spurs played the Hornets even up in game 2 -- if you don't count the fact that their shots didn't go in. I mean, that sounds elementry, but when you get good look after good look and nothing goes in ... and then you play solid defense with two blocks for 23 minutes and a wild save-it-from-out-of-bounds lurch puts the ball in Peja's hand for a three ... .

I think we'll turn this around in SA, and I think that the Hornets will wilt with a bit of pressure on them, but that's why they got to play them. And whether the Hornets get to the next round or not, I'm here to tell you that the MVP trophy went about 900 miles too far west. Chris Paul is the MVP, HANDS DOWN. There's no way that the Hornets are where they are without him. Kobe? There's no way the Lakers are where they are without ... the Pau Gasol trade. Otherwise, the Hornets eliminate the Lakers in the first round.

CP3=MVP; CP3=MVP
    Kobe? Over-RATED; over-RATED.

7. JustinR

JustinR New Member

I'm feeling very nervous about my San Antonio Spurs. I can't believe that we are down 2 games. I haven't seen us look this frustrated in a long time.

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Let's go Cavs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can buy a large pizza today in Cleveland for 23 cents at Papa Johns. They are trying to make up for all the business they lost when they sponsored the #23 CryBaby shirts in DC. Sorry PJ but your pizza sucks and I wont eat it for free.

9. JustinR

JustinR New Member

Thats a very good deal.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! a Spurs fan in SLC? That's like a Cowboys fan living in DC! You're a brave dude, JustinR

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Kobe was due his MVP. This is the 3rd year in a row that he should've had it. About damn time.

Come on Hornets. Beat those Spurs into submission and then come to La-La land. We'll happily sweep you in 4 like everybody else.

The Celtics would've been out in the first round in the Western Conference. Are they this bad? Lebron shots 2-18 and they barely beat the Cavs. They're rubbish.

12. SoCalJoe

Nice game 1 in Boston. Throwback to some of the worst games the Heat and Knicks played in the 90's.

Driving on the freeway yesterday listening to local sports talk and these morons are talking about how tough it's been for Laker fans not to have a championship caliber club for all these years (in the finals 04, last of three titles in 02), and actually used the phrase "Long-Suffering Laker fans". WTF?!? :x My team hasn't won the title in 30 years when Bill Walton was a mute and the best player on the planet. Hell, the Knicks (one of the cornerstone franchises of the league) haven't won it since Phil Jackson was a player.

My hatred of the purple and yellow (it ain't gold) not withstanding I'll admit Kobe is the best player in the game, but there is room for a 'most valuable' argument w/Paul.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Another win? Will we lose? The Lakers are clearly the team to beat. Kobe has been far from dominant in the 4th quarter and yet, the Jazz cannot successfully bring the lead down to anything beyond 4 points. Kobe hasn't even played to his best yet and we dominate the Jazz bar a few minutes in the 3rd quarter. This series is over. If the Jazz comeback I'll learn a song on the trumpet and play a Jazzy song.

Even if we lose the title this season, we'll win it next season,the next season after that and continue on until we get tired of winning it. Shaq and Kobe was good, but this dynasty will be even more dominant. You can't stop Odom,Bynum,Gasol and Kobe. It's not possible. Plus, these lot are all under 30. This might be the start of the best dynasty in the history of the league.

BTW, It's Gold, not yellow.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

24, whatever you do, don't change your dealer. He's setting you up with some fine mind-altering substances.

Here's a more likely scenario should the Lakers win the title this year. After Kobe gets crowned as the "greatest on the planet," a half dozen articles come out crediting Gasol's contributions to the Lakers' success. Enraged, The Back Door Man pouts, threatens to leave, demands that the owner
    a. move the practice facility to Kobe's back yard
    b. change the team name to the Anaheim Kobe's
    c. fire the coach and
    d. recognize that no club in the western hemisphere is big enough to accomodate Kobe and any other player as good as Pau Gasol.

Hey, call it exagerration, but if Kobe doesn't bully the Lakers' management and ownership into getting rid of Shaq, the Spurs have at least two fewer championships, and Kobe gets his MVP several years ago.

But keep on smoking, dude!

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I know you wish that Kobe would get pissed after we win a title, but it isn't happening. He has finally matured. I'll admit it took him fucking forever and a half to do this, but he has seen the light and knows that he needs help. We're winning the title over and over again and we'll surpass the Celtics in titles in about 3-5 years.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good game three last night between New Orleans and SA. I caught all but about 3 minutes of the first quarter and 5 minutes of the 3rd. San Antonio won, but I'm pretty sure that we're not as good at NO.

The Hornets are quicker, faster, more athletic, and more talented than the Spurs. The Spurs are more disciplined, more experienced, more cohesive, and better defenders overall. And the sum of their big three somewhat edges the sum of NO's big three.

What a sublime player Chris Paul is. He and Parker had a duel for the ages, and each of them combined moves, speed, and single-mindedness only matched by a pre-injury TJ Ford. It puts all this caterwauling about Steve Nash in perspective. Parker and Paul would run rings around Nash or Kidd or anyone else in the league. What amazed me about Paul last night is that even when it became obvious that the Hornets had lost their edge, HE HADN'T. Nevermind the 35 points and the stunnning passes. Never mind an assist/turnover ratio of 9 to 1. Paul played stunning defense as well.

I'm thinking we'll pick up a win in New Orleans, but I'm also sure that we can't shut these guys out 4 games in a row. I'm guessing New Orleans in 7 amazing games.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The Cavs are a total mess

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah... whoever would'a thought of setting a pick in the lane!

How hard IS it, Lebron? :roll:

19. SoCalJoe

After 2 games Lebron is shooting 8 for 42?? not great at percentages, but I know that's less than 20%. I don't care if 5 guys are on him, that's brick laying at its finest (or worst). My guess is he goes for over 30 the next time out.

Finally the West is heating up. Great contrast between the Spurs and Hornets, the young hungry team versus the wily old champs. The Spurs will tie it up and the team that wins game 5 will go on to take the series.

Utah?? Could you please beat the purple and yellow :wink: once?? They weren't going to win the series anyways, but Carlos Boozer looks to be seriously hurt (even running looks to be a chore for him). This one goes 5... maybe.

BTW 24, the Evil Empire will have to win the next 7 years in a row to pass the Celtics (you don't the Minneapolis Lakers do you?).

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Titles are 14 to the Lakers to 16 to the Celtics. I do count the Minneapolis Lakers as they were part of the franchise, they just moved West to the great city of LA. I say it'll take 4 years tops to surpass the Celtics.

I was hoping for a Hornets beatdown last night and got a game that saw the Spurs play one of their best playoff games and win. I see this series shifting now. I can see the Spurs winning this thing in 6 games. I didn't watch last night's game, but appearently the Hornets played one of their best games of the season and the Spurs still beat them to the ground by 12 points. The Spurs woke up and it could get ugly. Thanks alot New Orleans.

Lebron is proving why he isn't one of the top 4 players in the league. Kobe,Duncan and Garnett would have a bad game, but immediately pick it up in the next game and go off for 30 points and beat the other team without anybody elses help. Lebron starts this series off 8-42 and that is downright pathetic for a player that is supposed to be the 2nd best player in the league. I love Kobe, but my analysis has nothing to do with me loving Kobe. It has everything to do with what I've been seeing his first 5 years in the league. Lebron is going to be a hall of famer, but he won't ever surpass Jordan,Kobe,Magic or Wilt. It will never happen. In fact their might be a few other players that he might not surpass.