NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I really don't think either of these teams are in the playoffs. This is obviously some kind of NBA rumor mongering to increase TV ratings in those markets.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Me thinks Don might be clinging to religion and guns. He certainly seems bitter enough to do so.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Lebron leads all of the NBA in average points+assists+rebounds per game. At the age of 22 he carried his team to the NBA finals. There is no way he is overated. Stop taking whatever drugs you are on.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My nomination for line of the week ... and it's only Monday! :D

5. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Don, Jerry West retired after last season, so you can't blame him for the Gasol trade. Blame the Grizzlies' current GM Chris Wallace.

With that said, don't everyone hand the Lakers the title just yet. As I see it, two teams have a legitimate chance to beat them: the Spurs and Celtics. They match up horribly with the Spurs because they have no one to defend Duncan and because they have solid perimeter defenders to at least make Kobe work (see: Bowen, Udoka, Ginobili) and the Celts are just a flat out great team. L.A. may be the favorites, but the West is so deep that you can't just hand it to anyone. Really, I think so much hinges on this Spurs/Suns series and who advances (and by the way, if you missed game 1, it was a CLASSIC).

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

That crazed-looking man with a detonater in his hands is one Mark Cuban, 2 more ugly losses like this and he's going to blow up the Mavs.

Let's see if the Suns can get off the ropes (highy doubting it)

Don't want to count chickens, but a Laker-Utah series could be a thing of beauty.

Thanks Nick for picking up on Jerry West not being involved in the Gasol debacle, I would go on to say that the new GM isn't to blame either. The owner of Memphis is trying to sell and to increase value of the franchise traded as much debt as he could. Kwame Brown's expiring contract along w/the rule that roughly equal salaries have to be exchanged sets up ridiclous trades like this.

7. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

NBA playoffs...

...are a suck fest.

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Ummmmmmmmmm.....have you watched any NBA this season??

9. SoCalJoe

What's the old saying....'Go west, young man'. Sorry Belle da Bulls blow, but the Western Conference is the best basketball since Larry and Magic roamed the court. I know you're probably too young too remember that. However, knowing you're a sports fan, there is no way you can watch any of the Spurs-Suns and come up w/the same opinion.

10. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Good points...But those game are on way past my bedtime...

...just kidding I do enjoy the West match-ups and maybe the Eastern Conference Finals, but I just prefer playoff Hockey...

...I will say that the regular season in the NBA is almost un-watchable, but when it comes playoff time I will actually enjoy a series or two.

11. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

This might have been true five years ago, but it certainly wasn't this year. It was a fiercely competitive season and the quality of the games was extraordinarily high. Any basketball fan who watched the league this year is giddy right now.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I don't know, I think Munich dominates Zenit, and Fiorentina give Rankers a right humping...................wha..........oh.........this is a thread about basketbal................wtf..?...

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

hahah...this is wierd, put us in a thread not related to the MLS and we agree???

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

dooh-dooh-dooh-dooh, we must be in the twilight zone.

15. SoCalJoe

I know this is total type-casting, but who better to be the Beast to Bearz' Belle than PCB? 8)

Back to the point of this thread. Great game last night in Utah, the Jekyll and Hyde Jazz strike again. They better win game 4.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm sick! Landry killed the Jazz!!!!

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Pop got the result in Phoenix yesterday that he REALLY wanted.

Really.

The worst thing we could have done was to sweep Phoenix. This is a very talented team and sweeping them might have taken the Spurs edge away. Not to worry; Boris Diaw came through and slapped everyone wearing black in the face, and somebody other than Raja Bell played defense. Plus, the Spurs got good shots ... and missed them.

Phoenix will lose this series, though -- you don't win 4 out of 5 against this good s Spurs team. And the blame should all go on the Suns GM and SA Spurs legend Steve Kerr. He banked his team's success this year on Grant Hill -- a supremely talented player who averages about 30 games a season -- and his trades have left the Suns with one healthy decent perimeter defender, Raja Bell.

What the Spurs did in game three is what they can do 24/7 against this team. The high pick-and-roll isolates and then picks off Bell, leaving a willing but basically immobile Shaq and an unwilling Stoudamire to come out and challenge either Parker or Ginobili. Both hit mid-range jumpers and both drive to the hole. It's a lose-lose, and as a "bonus," it frustrates Bell to the point where he committs stupid fouls. And Hill, sits on the bench suffering more wear and tear on his body. How could Kerr have left his team so defenseless against the team they want to beat the most? Without Marion, the Suns have no third option and no other talented defender. Easy meat for the Spurs.

Oh, and speaking of game 6, I'm guessing that amongst the emigres to "little LA" have been a bunch of folks from Philly. The Spurs played what Pop called their best game all year, and D'Antoni called the best baskeball he'd ever seen in the NBA. What did the Suns "fans" do? They booed. They booed and they left early. And, as they were streaming out, they stopped periodically and booed again.

It's a shame that this fine club has to play in front of these yo-yos.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Lakers will be in the 2nd round after tonights game. This is good news as we can let Bynum rest even more and then have him for the 2nd round. It'd be even better if Houston won another game against the Jazz. Not to worry though, the Jazz series will be 5 games.

What I DIDN'T want is the Spurs winning against the Suns. The Suns series would've lasted 5 minutes as Gasol would dominate a slow and old Shaq. Gasol isn't gonna dominate Duncan and Kobe is gonna have to win the series. If both teams make the western conference finals, it'll be the true title contest. It might be on eof the best playoff series' ever. I really mean that. 7 games and nobody would win by more than a few points in each game.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

you sure he's not still on the Spurs payroll Donnie boy? :lol:

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

My dog took a shit last night and out came the Denver Nuggets. Maybe I'll get the BROOM out and SWEEP it up.