NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

You want all time playoff stats have a look here. None of the 19 scoring leaders between Kobe and Jordan are compared to Jordan either.

What peers say about Jordan. If Kobe were to retire with the number of rings he has now he would not get the same accolades. It is possible that Kobe could go on to eclipse Jordan but he is not there yet and any comparasion is premature. Lets be honest, if Kobe doesn't go on to win anymore titles will he even rank as the best Laker of all-time? Personally for me right now he still ranks behind Magic, Kareem and Wilt in no particular order.

To top it off Jordan won 6 titles in 14 seasons. To accomplish this Kobe would have to win this season and the next two in a row. It may not seem like it but this is already Kobe's 12th year in the league. If and when he begins to accomplish some of these things as the dominant player on his team I will start to compare Kobe to Jordan but not until then.

A lot of teams talked about how dominant Scottie Pippen was too but he ain't in the conversation either.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Two of the dirtiest name when combined for any Blazer fan are Scottie Pippen (from his time in Portland), but that's another story.

24, you have to make up your mind. Firstyou wrote titles aren't the be-all (which I also mentioned), but then because the teams Don and I pull for don't have the the number of championships LA does (again 5 of which that were won in Minnesota the Faker organization didn't recognize/claim until 2-3 years ago) we can't talk about history? the only thing us older guys have is history :wink:

About Kobe, I just find it funny that people out here want to compare him w/Jordan when another MJ (Magic Johnson) trumps him for being the greatest Laker.

btw, this series isn't over yet, stranger things have happened in sports.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Look, I dont care all that much about the NBA.. even considering King James.. but it seems to me that the Great Bulls NBA Champs teams were head and shoulders above as a TEAM.

EVERYONE contributed in one key play/game or another.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A-men

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I mentioned titles and trophies as INDIVIDUALS. There is a huge difference. Individual awards aren't nearly as important as when teams win the title. It shows the great history to have won 14 titles as a team. Only the Celtics have won more.

As for the playoffs. You can't bring up Pippen as he wasn't as dominant as Kobe was. That comparison is weak. Shaq was more dominant, but Kobe was also dominant and they took turns alot during the title run. when Shaq didn't step it up, Kobe stepped it up and vice versa. Pippen was clearly the #2 to Jordan and was never dominant like Kobe was.

SCJoe brought up that it was embarrasing to compare the 2. I personally Believe Kobe is gonna be better than Jordan, BUT I'm arguing that the comparison can be made now. You wanna talk about peers? well Mark Jackson said the only 2 players in the history that are on the same level are Kobe and Jordan. I believe he played against the Bulls many times.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Whot?? Is this damn thing still going on?!?!

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I can nearly guarantee a Celtics blowout tomorrow. The Lakers are an embarrasment to LA.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Considering the city's history, it's hard to believe that ANYTHING would be an embarrassment to LA.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Well they are. They're at the very least an embarassment to pick and roll defense.

10. SoCalJoe

There is a reason that John Stockton has 1000 more assists than anyone else and Karl Malone has more points than any other power forward of all time..The Pick and Roll. Every team in the NBA runs it and no team can consistently defend it.

Trying to get a gauge on Faker fans, and they are optimistic that if they can win tonight that Kobe will win game 7 by himself. TBH I don't get an "embarrassment to LA" vibe, but if they lose badly tonight there will be some pissed off people.

11. EricD

EricD New Member

I look at this Laker team as a team in the making. The way the Lakers played the Celtics in the first two games made me think that the Spurs or the Hornets would have been a better match up (Hornets are going to just get better - Chris Paul is amazing). I am a life long Laker fan, but I think I am a realist as well (no oxymoron comments please - well ok, a few). I am not trying to make excuses for the team because we see what has been on display in the last few games. The fact that the games are going on almost means that the pain will continue.

I am a Kobe fan, and I do not think anyone can deny that he is an incredible athlete. But I am not seeing the same guy who I have watched over the last few years. It seems like he is experimenting trying to be a team player getting everyone involved and going for periods of not scoring. I think this is hurting the team due to the inconsistency. Maybe this is one of those Heisman Trophy things - those guys get the trophy before the big game, and they do not play well (Toretta comes to the forefront, but there are numerous others).

The Celtics are playing great D, they have hands everywhere. It reminds me of the way Kansas was playing in the NCAAs. The pick and roll is killing the Lakers. It always has killed them (Stockton racked up plenty of those assists against the Lakers). Add in that the shot selection from outside is just not going to cut it.

I am not embarassed, but I am disappointed with the way they are playing. If the Lakers win tonight, then I think it is all about revenue for all parties involved.

Honestly, I am looking forward to the next round of the Euro this Thursday.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Lakers are living on the 3 a little too much I think. Vujacic needs to add something off the dribble, just to mix up his game a little. He'll be a very tough player if he does that. Lakers need Garnett to not show up like the last game if they are to have a chance. Come on C's!

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Well Christian I think I can safely say this thing is finally over even though the official scorer's timeclock hasn't quite figured it out yet.

14. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics for winning the Title. I must say, this was as impressive (and comprehensive) a victory as I have ever seen in the NBA, if not professional sports itself.

15. SoCalJoe

It looks like the Lakers found a way to be an embarrassment to LA......131-92?? Driving back from my brother-in-law's home and the fans were absolutely crushing the team on the radio.

I have to give it up to the Celtics (even though I can't stand Boston teams). The Big 3 were fantastic (happy for KG, a pro's pro) their bench was great, and the D was suffocating.

While I'm not giddy over Boston getting another winner, I will take solace in the fact that the evil that wears purple and yellow has been vanquished.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No need to add anything here.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Oh I don't know Don, this one is pretty interesting too. If Garnett only could have gotten Pierce to play a little better eh. :wink:

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, all I can say is :banana:

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

touche! Pierce REALLY showed up, didn't he.

Herst-ed on my own pitard!

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I will be honest I am an Eastern Conference follower and I did not see this coming. Either Atlanta and Cleveland really played better series than I gave them credit for or Boston really stepped up their play in the conference finals and the championship finals. Like alot of other people I thought LA would take the trophy in six.

This outcome makes me wonder if Cleveland aren't a little better than they are given credit for being and just how good those Atlanta youngsters might become next season.