NBA draft lottery points out problems..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 23, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Seems wrong that the lower performing teams DONT get the position in the draft..

HOWEVER, since several teams obviously went in the tank for draft position, it looks like justice is served by NBA doing it different.

Take THAT, you Celtic tw@'s!

Sidenote:

Since middle school, Greg Oden's record is 800 wins, 16 losses.
    and he has never lost a home game.

Mike Connelly Jr's record is identical, of course; except there is evidence that -for minutes played- Connelly's record is better. When he's been out his teams have been more likely to lose than they were when Oden was out.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't believe both the Celtics and the Grizzlies ended up outside the top three. The Celtics seemed to be tanking toward the end of the season so indeed it does serve them right to get hosed.

I decided no matter what team he ends up on, I will adopt the team Kevin Durant is drafted by. Based on last night's action, it looks as though I will be a Seattle Sonics fan as they have the second pick.

Thus, my three NBA teams are and will be:

Golden State Warriors
    Chicago Bulls
    Seattle Sonics

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As a Blazer fan all I can say it 'how didn't the frozen card not end up w/the Celtics??' Mr. Oden welcome to the Rose City. Doesn't seem that long ago (22 years), when they used to flip a coin between the 1st 2 picks when the Blazers lost the flip w/Houston for the rights to Hakeem Olajuwon, does anyone remember the 3rd pick??

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I would have thought that Durant had more of an upside than Oden. Having said that, I didn't watch a lot of college round ball last year.

Granted the Blazers need help at every position, SCJ, who do you think fits best in the "get well soon" scenario? Oden? Durant?

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I am highly upset about Oden's decision to go pro so soon. OSU finally has a darn good squad, and it's star player only sees dollar signs.

The NBA bothers me to no end with it's policy on drafting non-graduated athletes. If I had a dollar for every player who went pro before finishing college, and then crapping out in a season or two, I'd be a hundredaire by now!

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like Durant better myself, but most NBA GMs are drooling about Oden. It is very hard to pass on an NBA ready physically strong center as Oden is. In this day and age of true centers going the way of the buffalo, most NBA execs would take Oden. I would be shocked if Portland did NOT take Oden.

That being said, the great northwest is getting two great players in Oden and Durant. I think Durant will have a quicker impact on the Sonics. It will be great for him having a good veteran like Ray Allen around showing him the ropes and such.

I will be getting on Ebay later today to find some Sonics gear to buy!

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That would be Celtics.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Well, they did have the rookie of the year this year Brandon Roy who plays on the wing (ala '84 when they had Clyde "The Glide" Drexler, they chose to bypass a similar player out of North Carolina) I think they'll try to trade Zach Randolph, move the kid Aldridge (also All-Rookie) to the power forward and draft Oden. Durant will be better much sooner because if you haven't seen him yet Don, this kid is going to light up the NBA (he hasn't even filled out yet), so I hope he doesn't come back to haunt (can you say Michael Jordan). Durant will be a great building block for Seattle when they move to Oklahoma City (don't get me started on that move).

9. DCDave

DCDave Member

Oden to the NBA

Why shouldn't he go pro? Should he stay in college, playing for free and helping OSU make lots of money, or should he look out for his own best interest. He doesn't own OSU a thing. If anything, they owe him--he's made them lots of money and entertained OSU fans. OUS fans should wish him well.

It's one thing if the player is not ready to play in the NBA, I agree with you on that, but that's not Oden.