NBA 2017-18

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Feb 7, 2018.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Is this really the first NBA thread of the season? Hmmmm.

Anyhow, i thought I'd post about my San Antonio Spurs. This is the first season in a very long time where the Spurs have been ... well ... mediocre. Yes, we haven't had Leonard most of the season. Yes, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have finally noticed the calendar, and yes, Aldridge who was bought as an ornament is our only all-star quality player. And yes, they still demonstrate the team ethic that is the hallmark of HRH G. Popovich, but we're kind of .. superfluous, aren't we?

So, we'll make the playoffs, we might even make it past the first round, but we don't dictate anything anymore. Interestingly, many of us thought that Pop would retire to his amazing wine cellar when Tim Duncan hung them up.

So where's the rest of the NBA stuff?

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

My interest in the NBA begins when the playoffs start. I only casually follow the league until that time.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I just follow some of the former players I covered around here as collegians. Donovan Mitchell has certainly opened some eyes with his rookie season performance, validating his decision to leave Louisville. Many didn't think he was ready. That appears to have been an erroneous opinion. DeMarcus Cousin's injury is troubling to many in Big Blue Nation. Hopefully he'll heal well and come back unaffected, but a ruptured Achilles tendon is as serious as it gets. I don't start paying attention to the actual games until the playoffs, and, usually, not until the quarters or semis. Or until they start playing defense, whichever comes first. Patrick Patterson, Julius Randle, Jamal Murray, Devin Booker, Eric Bledsoe, John Wall (who's also out with a knee injury), Karl-Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis are all ranked in the top 100 players in the league. Montrezl Harrell is a backup forward for the Clippers. Terry Rozier, Gorgui Dieng, Mangok Mathiang, and Chianu Onawaku are on NBA rosters. So are Bam Adebayo, Willie Cauley-Stein, De'Aaron Fox, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson, Enes Kanter, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Brandon Knight, Skal Labassiere, Deandre Liggins, Trey Lyles, Jodie Meeks, Darius Miller, Malik Monk, Nerlens Noel, Alex Poythress, Rajon Rondo and Tyler Ulis. How many of these are actually playing significant minutes or bouncing between there and the D-league, I have no idea.

But that's a lot.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD, if being 14 games above .500 and the #3 seed in the West is 'mediocre' then you should know how the other 90% live :(. My team Portland is in perpetual limbo aka the Hell known as the NBA middle where a playoff spot is likely, but where a collection of FUSA posters have as much a chance to advance then the Trail Blazers do.

In professional sports in the US every major league (NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL) there is a word that can always be sold and that is 'Hope', except for 1 and that's the NBA. Hope for that magical year. Hope the farm system produces the goods. Hope you just get in the playoffs because literally anything can happen if you do. In the NBA, 2 teams have the overwhelming chance to win it this year (Golden State & Houston, I'll watch that series if it happens, the Spurs are capable of beating the Rockets, but not the Warriors). I suppose Cleveland overhauling their team yesterday has a slim chance, and my admiration for Brad Stevens' coaching gives the Celtics a slight shot if they can get to the Finals, but the rest of the other teams are pretty useless.

5. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

My Wolves are in a 14 year playoff drought so I'm not going to say anything to jinx it, other than I hope we have a seat at the playoff table when all is said and done. To quote Mr. Kelce from the Eagles in yesterday's Super Bowl speech (which is epic and you should watch it if you haven't), "hungry dogs run faster" and the Wolves haven't eaten for a while.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For perspective ... in the last 25 or so years, the Spurs have chosen via the lottery only twice. Both times they drew the first ball. Results? David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

I'm afraid, that's kind of what we're used to down here. Making it out of the first round but not the second is mediocre here in the Peoples Republic of South Texas.

7. SoCalJoe

The first round is here (it’ll be mid-May before the next one begins), but real life has intervened.

RIP to Erin Popovich who was married to the Spurs Head Coach for over 4 decades. Can’t imagine what Pop is going through, but it does put things into perspective

HatterDon and encorespanish like this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think it's time to reduce the number of playoff teams to four in each division. Has a 7th or 8th seed ever even made the division finals?

OTOH, the NBA playoffs don't last as long as the NHL playoffs. They run about 3 months -- or does it just seem that way?

9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

My company has an annual conference that I MC in mid-June. The NBA playoffs almost always wrap up during the conference and the NHL final hasn't even started. When the playoffs start for both in April I think about how far off the conference seems, then think about how ridiculously long the playoff season is for them, and after that I think maybe I should start writing my opening remarks - but then decide not to since it is still months away!

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I thought the Cavaliers should have lost to the Pacers in round 1.

I thought the Cavaliers should have lost to Toronto last night.

I see a theme here.

Elsewhere Steph returned to Golden States line up and did Steph things to lead GS to the win. The matchup with New Orleans is going to be mouthy and physical. I see a few technicals coming especially for Draymond.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  11. SoCalJoe

**Shocker Alert** Golden State v Houston are left in West. Cleveland appears primed to return to Finals.

The GS-Hou series should be very interesting. Have to go w/the Champs

12. SoCalJoe

Both conference final series went 7 games for first time since 1979, but both lacked the drama and quality you’d expect, why?? I’m not normally ‘it was so much better in the old days’ Guy, but the over reliance on the 3 point shot has taken something from the game.

Boston couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat, were down by 5 w/3+ minutes left and bricked 6 straight treys, without looking to drive and get an easier shot. Houston leads the world in 3 point attempts and missed 27 (not a typo) in a row in game 7 :eek:. We can get 5 people on here and match missing 27 in a row no problem. Don’t get me wrong, when the Warriors get hot, it’s something to behold, but most of the time these other teams are clanking 25 footers left and right. Where’s the post-up, mid-range games?

As for The Finals, Golden State will win in 6, they go thru stretches where they appear bored so they will likely give the Cavs a game or two.

encorespanish likes this.