Must See TV: Tonight's Dem Debate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 15, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not for the sniping or waffling...but whether or not Wolf Blitzer {of Clinton News Network} has the gonads to ask Hillary a tough question.
    Meaning one she didnt supply or pre-approve...

After all, he's been warned and he wouldnt want to have Clinton supporters saying he should be shot.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, forgive me for asking, but

a. which newscaster officiating a debate has been singled out by "Clinton supporters" to be shot?

b. and who would these "Clinton supporters" be?

c. or are we just being imprecise and calling it "edgy?"

3. pettyfog

Tim Russert for pressing Hillary in the last debate.. of course it was on a lefty blog, so it wasnt by a 'hater' or anything. You gotta be a Righty to be a 'hater'

heh... ;)

4. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I will probably TiVO it and watch it this weekend. I haven't been impressed by any Republican runners so far, so I need to weed out the losers from the Democrats as well. And then I need to start my own campaign and win it on the "Logical Train" movement that will sweep through America like the Beubonic Plague of yesteryear.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What in the world could Tim Russert do to offend anyone? Suggest grooming tips?

Somebody actually said that he should be shot for persecuting Hillary? She could take him in two out of three falls.

6. pettyfog

Actually, it WASNT on a Lefty blog...

*Wonder if they meant 'Russert should be shot' .... or that she wasnt treated 'fairly'.

Oh... add that to the dustup on the Iowa student told she couldnt ask Hillary her own question, but being given a list. Then being told by the Clinton handlers not to talk about it.

Hate to tell you guys... but the days of Dem Machine politics is GONE.

And that goes for their imitators, too. Just to be fair and balanced, Right Trent?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

prepared questions from hand-picked audiences on the campaign trail? Of all the things Hillary could have stolen from the present administration, she picked that?

You know, if she doesn't like criticism, she shouldn't be the front-runner. I personally think that all the Democratic Party debates should be on Fox Noise and that all the Republican Party debates should be on MSNBC -- and that ALL the questions be hardball and unfair. Just let Brit Hume drone at the Democrats and Keith Olbermann rant at the Republicans and let's see which [if any] of the candidates has the cojones to stand up and say "STFU, you asshole."

I mean, how can we expect anyone to deal with the Iranians, the Venezuelans, the Cubans -- THE FRENCH for goodness sake -- if they run and cry from a puffed-up talking head on a network?

Years ago I read Mike Royko's book on the first Mayor Daley. He talked about a meeting -- at a public venue -- between Daley and the Black Panthers. One of the Panthers lost his temper and yelled, "Up yours, Daley." Daley leapt to his feet and shouted, "and up yours, too!" Just when it looked like things might get ugly, both the Panthers and the mayor broke into big grins. There in the midst of a public meeting that was about to accomplish nothing, there was a few seconds of real passion and truth.

I haven't seen anything as real as that in a presidential election campaign in more than 40 years.

8. pettyfog

So, don... just so I've got this straight... that was NEVER done before Dubya got into office...

Right?

However.. your anecdote was funny. And Ironic, considering the thread content. Daley could deal with just about anyone, that's for sure.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have not been impressed with either parties debates thus far. Too many candidates on both sides which in turn leads to the bigger candidates not having ample time to answer the questions.

What I would like to see is no moderator out there where the candidates sit around a roundtable and frankly discuss the issues. No time limits, nothing like that. We might actually see some fireworks instead of the same old stuff we see at each debate.

10. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I hate this logic. I understand what Tom is saying, but strongly feel, at least temporarily, each candidate should have equal time for EACH question. That way the smaller candidates get a chance to move up. (Go ahead, I'm ready for it)

I hate the fact that the media picks the candidates.

Watching the Dems is scary stuff.... they seem retarded, or crazy or elfish... If I had to pick, UGH... well, I guess I could understand why people feel like they dont relate... these guys are all bad choices.

Obama.... he seems the most sincere... but his record doesnt reflect that and he's too inexperienced, he'd just get handled by other heads of state.

If your Dem good luck... 4 years ago I would have thrown my vote to the pointless third party inner peace theory that I've expressed here before.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If Obama can convince me again tonight that he is an independent thinker who DOESN'T answer questions like a typical politician, than he may have sewn up my vote in the primary.

John Edwards: Still on the outside, but possible dark horse.

Joe Biden: My wife likes him.

Bill Richards: Not dumb, but not electable enough either.

Dodd: He and Joe get the "old seasoned guys" vote.

Hillary: Not much of a chance to get my vote.

Space Cadet: Beam me up!

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, what did everyone think?

I was not really surprised as it was more of the same kind of talk and banter between one another. What I do like about Obama is that he is standing up to Hillary and calling her out on things and being forceful in what he says.

I like Obama and quite honestly, the more I hear Hillary, the less I like her.

As for Smokin's earlier post, he is probably right about giving all the candidates equal time it just sometimes seems these people have no chance to win. That is not the right way to think, but I think I am being realistic.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

One last note on debates on both sides, after the conclusion of a debate, ALL news channels should not be allowed to talk about the debate until the following day. I get sick and tired of hearing this person and that person tell me who won and who was good.

LET THE PEOPLE VOTING MAKE THEIR MINDS UP....DON'T TRY TO MAKE THEIR MINDS UP FOR THEM.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I can't wait to hear the breakdown of the debate, so I am glad CNN went right to it. And J.C. Watts is right.

Obama, you are going to have to wait to get my vote. Oddly enough, or perhaps not, Biden was most impressive to me in this one. (But I am an International Relations major.)

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is exactly my point. Why do you need JC Watts to tell you what was what and who was best? Don't you trust your own instincts as a voter?

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I don't need him to tell me. He just affirms it.

And it could have been him or many other people (Geffen, etc.).

Never underestimate the power of affirmation.

That said, I thank my wife for reminding me of one of the reasons I married her. Here I am talking about how "contractors" can't be controlled by the government because they are "private". And she says, "Oh yeah, well who pays them?"

Touche', my love. It was like a law school professor telling me " HAVE TO jump through the hoops" again. Classic.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Where's PettyFogdo??

You know, like "Where is Waldo?"

My guess, on multiple blogs slagging the Dems.

Anyone else's guess?

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Must say both sides have upped their game in the past few months. Here's my general impressions

Obama- he's doing alright but has failed to meet high expectations, my main issue with him is that he is not inspiring confidence in me, he seems unsure and inexperienced but yet somewhat of an independent thinker, his odds aren't great at this time

Edwards- he's resorting to broad populist rhetoric which will appeal to primary voters, I think he'd be an absolute disaster of a president

Clinton- she does well, I however do not feel she is very innovative in her thinking and not so honest, she'll either be a decent president or a bad president, I can't determine which

Dodd- would be a better president than many on that stage

Kuchinch- self righteous unrealistic lefty is wearing thin on me

Richardson- he hasn't met my expectations

Biden - Out of all of them he's the best man for the job. He's broad in his thinking and has the most experience and knowledge of most if not all the issues. In a general election he will stand up against talk radio mudslinging, he's not likely to wimp out and run from his positions ala Kerry. He's not a sexy candidate and its working against him, hopefully he can hang in and get a turn of events. In the least Biden should be the VP pick of the winner.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

As for Blitzer's performance he did ok. I do really like Campbell Brown though, liked her even more before she got a nose job. Sooooooooooo unnecessary :(

20. pettyfog

Besides JC being really astute, which is probably why he got out of politics, a lot of people want to know "Did I really hear that?"

Of course you're right, many people listen to the analysis because they want to follow concensus.

I didnt watch it after all, but from some of the clips I've seen Biden is back making sense rather than using his hearing soundbite personna.

Tell ya, though. Generally any governor is better than any senator.