Municipal Youth Rec program

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, May 13, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I have the opportunity to be Director of Youth Soccer for South Walton. Problem is, ol' Andy from North of the Bay knows zero about and cares zero about soccer. He just wants all the kids to get equal playing time.

Guess what I think about that. Oh, and no scoring, including for kids in their teens.

I'm ready to break something.

{Split from another thread and edited by pf}

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Crew 1-1 Chivas..Who cares!

Actually it's a municipal rec/exercise program so who really gets hurt if you do it that way?
    I'd suggest focussing on the instructional aspects,, get some good older kids in to give training... that way even the poor players get some value out of it.
    And you get to find some players for the club program you're going to get involved with... right?

Snarky bits that were at front of reply:
    welll.... time to exercise your diplomatic and political skills!

This is so rich in irony... After all, football is life... that I'd better stop right there. Nah.... tell this guy that you're going to propose that after the game the kids sit down and negotiate the results so that there's no victi... err.. losers.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

At least you didn't delete the threadjack altogether.

Roughly, being the director means I organize the coaches, practices, and games. I have no problem with the little nippers playing by the proposed rules, but when kids get into the 7-8 year old age bracket and above, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with learning what it is like to win or lose. It promotes competition.

I don't know how much "power" I have in my position, but I doubt I will be flexing much if any in this, my inaugural season. Next season may be another story.

But I don't like this way of playing, and I doubt it does much to increase the level of playing ability in youngsters. I've seen other people mention this approach is part and parcel one of the problems with AYSO (thus the connection to the previous thread). I have to agree.

4. pettyfog

But the point IS that AYSO is only ONE of the programs available until the left gets control of everything..... and I'm sorry but if you sign up for touchy-feely 'pity the victim' idealism this is the price you pay. Remember where I say 'Everything's connected'?

Just shut up and make the most of it! You DO have a chance to make a difference... at LEAST make some soccer fans.

Look.. let me explain in detail for you that dont seem to be able to 'connect the dots'. And I dont mean to be preachy or patronizing but it seems obvious to me you're missing the point.

Remember a while back where we were talking about the kids not being able to just get a bunch together and play a pickup game somewhere?

Lots of reasons given but the crux is that for several reasons 'kids must always be under adult supervision' is the sum of the fears.

THAT is what AYSO replaces. It lets kids play just for fun even if they arent very good. Now if YOU have some influence, then you can take that 'sow's ear' and make something of it.

Look at it as a very long soccer camp. As I say, stress skills training, stress teamwork. Stress peer instruction on the field. Stress playing at and to the kids' skills.

If the kids are any good they will graduate 'out', even if they ARENT very good, they may learn to love the game. That's a FAN... n'est ce pas!

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Rest assured, I'll be wearing my Fulham Colors (meaning jerseys) quite often, along with others (USA, Celtic, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Czech, Eenrgie Cottbus).

6. pettyfog

Well, I guess THAT's important!

Shhessh! I didnt delete the hijack altogether because it's of more value than the post you were snarking, you idgit!

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

After very little discussion, the push will commence to have all matches of 8-9 year olds and older be scored. And they will all play on the bigger fields with the bigger goals.

4-5 year olds and 6-7 year olds will not play with a score (officially).

The teams will also be allowed to have names, i.e.; litterbugs, etc. (cool)

Sorry Fog, your attempts at promoting mediocrity will most likely go unfulfilled. And we can still manage to promote all those other things you mention and then some, but now it will mean something more when they string a few good passes or dribbles together and play like a team.

8. pettyfog

Now just HOW is promoting basic skills for the sake of skills pushing mediocrity?

The number one complaint of soccer purists about the US, and British for that matter, youth systems is that the kids are pushed to tally scores before they acquire the skills that make the game 'Beautiful'.

To my knowledge kids dont usually come out of AYSO straight into the ODP or even High School, do they?

whatever.. I know you know what I'm getting at and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It is all about the kids. And I am NOT joking about that.

FYI, we'll have Challenger Soccer teams for disabled children also.