Move Over Ronaldo, There is a New Dive King

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Jun 26, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not talking the Brazilian Ronaldo that went from the best player in the world to someone who couldn't put down the twinkies, but the Portuguese @sshole that once said he gets picked on because he's 'good-looking, rich, and great'. No Chris, everyone hates you because you dive, roll around on phantom tackles, and cheap shot people like no other until now. The next Brazilian phenom aka Neymar has staked his claim as the biggest w@nker in the sport with his antics at the Confed Cup. A buddy of mine had to me this guy dives big time, but I had to see it to believe it. In a few short matches he shown his mercurial talent, but his diving makes me want to throw up and wish someone would crack him for real (as opposed to his rolling around when no one touched him). Watched the last 15 minutes of the semifinal and he gets credit for delivering the winning corner kick, but his despicable two footed jump after being fake hit in the face deserves expulsion from the Final. Diving is something that can never be completely taken out of the game, but it could be curtailed if the powers that be show some freakin' c@jones for a change.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I never understood why FIFA or any other organization doesn't take a major crackdown on diving. How hard can it be to review tape after matches and hand a hefty fine or a suspension?

3. tim

tim Active Member

It's a reason, although not a good one: Ronaldo, Neymar, and the like are big names with big followings that goose TV ratings and attendance, generate publicity and generally increase the audience for the game. (ESPN practically designated Neymar as THE reason to watch the Confed Cup this year). The fact that they're simultaneously doing the game a disservice is ignored. As long as some of the game's biggest names are the most guilty when it comes to diving, I can't imagine anything will be done about it.

Again, not a good reason by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe why the governing bodies aren't imposing suspensions and fines.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know there is some thinking that this is part of the game and everybody does it...yadda yadda. But the big names would still be big names and draw the crowds and tv ratings regardless of the diving-- unless they really don't have any other skill.:shock:

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The only real course of action to stop diving in the game is to begin fining referees who are not giving yellow cards for blatant dives. Until referees have the courage to make the call consistently why should players stop diving. Our beloved Dempsey is as guilty as the next player.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Here is an answer Joe. Turn off Brazil and watch MLS. They give fines and suspensions for diving. And Portland these days is about as exciting soccer as you will find - thanks to that Akron football machine ;)

7. SoCalJoe

Good call Mo, I have been watching more this season than ever before and Porter has got the Timbers moving in the right direction. As you noted, the league gives fines and suspensions for diving :clap:

Tim, I agree that the sport (any sport for that matter) looks the other way when it comes to a superstar. Maybe diving and flopping around like a fish out of water is not frowned upon in other countries, but that Neymar play was so egregious and flat out embarrassing that I was pulling for some Uruguayan player to go over and hit him for real. The hierarchy in European leagues is totally different than American sports where we have a Commissioner front and center speaking about issues, but if La Liga took a stand and suspended one of these jack @sses a couple of matches this stuff would dissipate.

8. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Here it is in soccer and I've seen it in basketball and elsewhere. The fans of a sport will watch the games anyway, but it's the superstars who draw in the casual fans. That means a larger audience, more advertising revenue and, thus, more money for the rich guys who run the sport. That's why superstars get preferential treatment -- it's all about the money. And that's why it's not likely that the powers that be will do anything about it.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Or someone could arrange to have him and, say, Joey Barton on the same pitch at the same time....that would stop the little s**t.

10. SoCalJoe

A buddy of mine turned me onto this and many other videos on facebook (on FB, search Short Football Videos). His antics at the Confed Cup weren't his first rodeo of embarrassing diving. Probably put together by an Argentina fan, but an interesting contrast between Messi and Neymar;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ir0Z4IvjA