Most overrated

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 9, 2008.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Most overrated Movie: Any with Mel Gibson in
    Actor/entertainer: Mel Gibson
    Actress: Liza Minnelli
    Book: My Cheque Book - but people keep on accepting them!
    President: George Washington (1775 traitor and usurper) you should still have the Queen on your money ;)
    Music group/singer: Celine Dion
    Athlete: Gavin Henson (Welsh Rugby Player)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

This post screams of your Englishness.

You are aware that George III called Washington the greatest man that ever lived.

Agree with Liza Minelli, forgot abuot her

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... what ONE movie sent you over the abyss on Gibson, GBFC. Lemme guess.. aw just too easy.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And are you aware that George III was as looney as a newt? [Mo, he actually said that Washington was "the greatest man in the world."]

After more than 200 years as an independent nation, certainly we've got enough confidence to take a gentle little jab without getting so defensive about our legitimacy. GBFC was having as much fun at his own expense as he was with ours. THAT screams of his Englishness. :wink:

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Celine Dion, Gary??? I thought the English loved Canadians...

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Spencer wrote;

actress- Resse Witherspoon, don't now if anyone actually does rate her but if they do she's overrated.

Couldn't agree more, she got an Oscar for that Johnny Cash bio, and I kept thinking why.

Athlete- John Terry or maybe Jerry Rice

Spencer, the Jerry Rice in a Raiders and Seahawk jersey (in his late 30's and early 40's was not the Jerry Rice in a 49er jersey). Don't like the team up north, but he is the greatest wr of all time and there isn't a close second.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

B4L - We do, but Celine is granted an amnesty.

Don - Thank you for the defence.

Mo - I am very proud of being English and I hope I have to opportunity to show you some English hospitality when you visit the Cottage.

'Fog - Braveheart - were you right?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll bet he was thinking The Patriot -- it painted the English in a very bad light.

And I saw old Mel in some parts I thought he did well -- Mutiny on the Bounty and Hamlet [!?!] are two, and The Year of Living Dangerously was another.

9. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Don- Don't forget "Road Warrior"!!! And even Mad Max...
    MK

10. Clevelandmo

I hope you didnt feel you needed defending. I love England and I would happily accept some of your English hospitality when I'm at the cottage.

11. Clevelandmo

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, the difference was that Reagan had an opportunity to say that. Nobody rated Kennedy highly as a president until he was assassinated.

By the way, my favorite Ronald Reagan quote [which I've used all the time in all sorts of situations]: "It's amazing how much can get accomplished when you don't care who gets the credit."

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

...Better quote:

"It's amazing how much you can get accomplished when you take credit for the work of others"

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I think that is painted on the wall of a lot of NBA locker rooms.

15. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Let's see....in 1980 we had rampant inflation, 20% interest rates and a President talking about the malaise we were all in.......hmm....Then we had a President come in office who cut the size of the gov., lowered taxes drastically, put everyone in a positive frame of mind, and business growth started expanding rapidly.............How do you overrate that?...............God Bless Ronald Reagan!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. GaryBarnettFanClub

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Athlete: Shaquille O'Neal. Yes, he has a few rings w/the Lakers, the last one w/the Heat he got was a gift from D'Wayne Wade. Yes, he was dominate at times, but he should have done ALOT more.

President: In appreciation of Misfitkid's Rutherford B. Hayes, I will go w/James Polk.

Since more than one person has mentioned Al Pacino and his downfall since Scent of a Woman (1992), these are some of the movies he has done since... Glengarry Glen Ross, Clarito's Way, Heat, Donnie Brasco, The Devil's Advocate, The Insider (great movie), Any Given Sunday (see the thread Jambo started), Angels in America (he won an Emmy), The Merchant of Venice. Enough w/the overrated talk, that lineup speaks for itself.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Abraham Lincoln

... cause he started a Civil War that killed more Americans than all other wars combined (so more of a "war-criminal" than George W. Bush), didn't try to keep the country united without war ("warmonger"?), prolonged the war by poor management of the Union military (just as, or more, incompetent than Bush's handling of the occuaption of Iraq), and didn't emancipate slaves until over 2 years of his administration had passed (definitely a racist... which is really the truth).

So technically Abraham Lincoln was a warmongering war criminal who was also a racist.

Not to metion he didn't change United States policy towards Native-Americans, i.e., genocide, genocide, genocide.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

will you guys PUHLEEEEZE stop with the Lincoln-Bush comparisons? it is like SO embarassing.

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

What are you talking about? My response was only half-serious by the way.