Most overrated

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Who do you think is the most overrated in each of these catagories. I only considered choices that got some acclaim. For instance, I wouldnt consider Britney Spears overrated because despite her popularity, I dont think she ever received much critical acclaim (I could be wrong though because I cant say that I've followed her career). Below are my choices. Have fun! I know lots will disagree with my choices

Movie - Most of Woody Allen's movies, The Godfather

Actor - Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman

Actress - Kathryn Hepburn

Book - Ulysses - good but not the greatest ever written

Band - Sonic Youth, Guns and Roses, Bruce Springteen, The Beach Boys

Athlete - Alex Rodriguez

US President - JFK

2. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

I'll Bite...

Movie- Gone with the Wind
    Actor- Al Pacino
    Actress- Bette Davis
    Book- Catcher in the Rye
    Band- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Mathews
    Athlete- David Beckham
    US President- Rutheford B. Hayes

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah...
    plus Marlon Brando
    and Audrey Hepburn
    You're WRONG about Guns'n'Roses, that's what I thought when I first heard them... but I changed my mind when Grunge Rock hit.
    - Umm.. no one really says WHY they rate him so highly. Obama's trying to get elected on the context of it.

But, overall, I'd say you have good judgement

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I love ya, but you're full of it on this one!

5. pettyfog

My bet: Mo didnt see 'Annie Hall' in the timeframe of original release.

Which would mean that the Woody' schtick had worn thin and it's seen through x-ray glasses. My favorite Woody film is Radio Days. Why? Because it's less about him than what he saw around him. Sleeper, OTOH, I saw soon after release; it was and still is crap. Looking on IMDB I was amazed I'd seen so many of them considering I never cared much for him... answer: I kept hoping. then I never cared for the 3 Stooges, either.

Bands.. Rockers: Let's compare Springsteen to Bob Seger, somewhat the same genre. Who is best? Seger hands down for me.
    OTOH Guns'n'R just good fun.. and I never had to listen to Axel Rose 'pontificate on his music'

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, it was the middle of the night -- for me anyhow -- and I didn't give Mo enough respect with that post. So, here's my nominations:

1. Most Overrated Movie: Titanic -- Everyone trashes it so much today that they forget that it won the Oscar for best picture of the year. That's seriously overrated.

2. Most Overrated Actor: Al Pacino -- hands down. It's been all downhill for his skills over the last 20 years or so.

3. Most Overrated Actress: Natalie Portman.

4. Most Overrated Book: -- American division: The Scarlet Letter -- I just can't overemphasize how BAD that book is. World division: The Hobbit. Mo, you're much too young to remember the 1970s when this cutesy little fairy tale got turned into a proto-religion. YECH

5. Most Overrated President: JFK -- Second place: Ronald Reagan

6. Most overrated musical group/act: Elvis Presley

7. Most overrated athlete: Curt Schilling

Oh, and I agree with 'fog about Woody Allen. The guy made 50 something films. If some are worse than others, it's because some are better than others. My faves are Radio Days and The Purple Rose of Cairo. But, I swear, 'fog. Trash all my icons and not be called on it, but don't trash Audrey Hepburn!

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

AHEM... Mo, next time I watch a game with you I will sit at least 5 feet away from me because when God smites you with a lightning bolt I don't want to be too close to the impact. Now excuse me while I hit repeat all for Magic, his new CD. Quality stuff.

Plenty of other glaring falsehoods on this post that will get me in a lather. I'll just let them pass, and ask God to forgive whoever it was that cast aspersions on Audrey Hepburn.

I'll say most of what Al Pacino has done after Scent of a Woman (sad to say), the New England Patriots, John Terry (fantastically so, how is he captain of England, you Brits deserve better), every Woody Allen movie, every role James Woods ever had, and the University of Michigan :3d laughing:

8. pettyfog

RE: Re: Most overrated

Maybe I should have put in my REASONING for Audrey.

Her body of work doesnt support the awe-struck reverence for her. I've read that she herself thought she was lucky in the roles she played and that she didnt want to sully the results by being too exposed.

I'll grant EASILY that it's hard to envision anyone but her in the GREAT movies she made and that she was HIGHLY competent, but she never really stretched herself, IMO

9. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Movie - Scarface...good but some people need to relax

Actor - Christopher Walken...has he played just one continuous character?

Actress - Glen Close...the River Wild

Book - Catcher in the Rye...it certainly didn't want to make me assasinate anyone

Band - U2...get over yourselves

Athlete - Reggie Bush...has done nothing except...nothing

US President - Clinton...good but some people need to relax

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

The number of Catcher in the Rye influences is interesting. I have a cousin who was an English teacher who told me his experience was the good students in his classroom didn't like the book, usually because of Holden Caulfield's slacking attitude and negative slant towards everything. The poorer students, or the ones who were smart but didn't really apply themselves or like school, loved the book. Make of that what you will.

Criticism of Audrey Hepburn?!? I heard the last person that did that was instantly struck with a case of gout, eczema, chronic lower back pain, and syphilis.

11. pettyfog

syph highly unlikely...

And BTW: James Wood is a SUPPORTING actor. I know that cuts it thin but what do you want from him? He's GOOD at that.

12. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Steve I didn't like the book and I was one of those smart students who didn't apply themselves or really like school...I honestly don't think I've ever read an entire book from cover to cover that was assigned to me for school, and I'm about to get my graduate degree...whatever that means.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

what that means, Belle, is that if you're literate at all, around the time you turn 50 you'll go back and start reading all those assigned books again and realize how fantastic they were and are -- except for The Scarlet Letter which is serious crap.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

movie- Team America World Police

actor/entertainer- Will Farell

actress- Resse Witherspoon, don't now if anyone actually does rate her but if they do she's overrated

city- Atlanta or err Minneapolis

Singer/Band- Willy Nelson

Athlete- John Terry or maybe Jerry Rice

Book- A Brave New World

US President- Regan, not that he was awful just not the god that half the country professes him to be

TV host- Regis

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

somebody rates Team America World Police and Regis Philbin highly?

Really?

16. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Hey Don, I'm just happy nobody has listed Beauty and the Beast as the most overrated movie...

17. Clevelandmo

Steve, I knew the Bruce Springteen thing would bother you, but I actually thought about Audrey Hepburn and didnt include her for your sake (and she's too sweet to include). That's what made me thingk of Kathryn Hepburn. Also, there's the fact that you hate the Browns. Not that I'm the vindictive sort, but I figured you owe me one.

Bruce is alright; he should be in the Rock Hall of Fame. I just never thought he was great.

You can sit 5 feet away from me at the next game as long as you bring some ManU fans; we can hope the lightening bolt hits them.

18. Clevelandmo

It's hard not to be full of it on this topic because you kind of need to be an expert in each category to do it justice.

Don, I believe I tried to read The Hobbit in the 70's but I couldnt finish it. However, I was probably only nine or ten so I figured that was why I didnt get it. Never tried to read it again. I thought the Scarlet Letter was a short story? Shows how unqualified I am in that category.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Most overrated Movie: The English Patient (I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld..."I hated it!")
    Actor/entertainer: Jack Black, Jim Carrey
    Actress: Julia Roberts
    Book: The Awakening (maybe I'm being harsh, because it was published in 1899...but didn't like the story or main character at all)
    President: JFK and Thomas Jefferson
    Music group/singer: Mariah Carey
    Athlete: ARod

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

No problem mo, I still like ya :wink: