More USA friendlies in Europe

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by martin, May 25, 2007.

1. martin

martin New Member

Catalonia v USA, Sunday, Oct 14, at the Nou Camp in Barcelona
    Switzerland v USA, Wednesday, Oct 17, location to be announced

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 81960.html

More European experience can only be good for the team. These aren't exactly titans of the international game, but it will be good experience nonetheless. I guess most of the bigger teams have Euro qualifiers around that time.

A jaunt to Barcelona may be in order :D

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Any game that gives the new squad experience together can't be a horrible thing.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Catalonia!

I'm going to feel pretty miserable should we lose to Catalonia.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Catalonia!

We have to find it before we can lose to it.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Re: RE: Catalonia!

It's a region in Spain. I don't think the USA should lose considering the best Catalans will likely be with the Spanish national team, as they have a Euro 2010 Qualifier with Denmark on the 13th.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: Catalonia!

Yeah, I know; how is it good for us to be playing a regional B side?

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The first game is a tune up for the Swiss, who if memory serves did make it out of the group stage at the WC and looked pretty good doing it.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Normally Catalonia is a decent side. Definitely better than most Concacaf sides.

I will be in Europe in October and wanted to know how I could get a hold of a ticket to the match at Camp Nou. Does anyone know where I can get a pair for my friend and I?

9. Team_of_McBrides

Some Catalonia players who are still currently playing and some past players are Xavi, Luis Garcia, Victor Valdez, Cesc Fabregas, Andres Iniesta, Puyol, Pepe Reina, Albert Luque and Curro Torres.

Not a bad group of past and current players.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Camp Nou is HUGE. If the best Catalans (Puyol, Xavi, Reina, etc.) are actually going to be with the Spanish national team, I wouldn't worry about finding a ticket.

Even if it's not a particularly strong side we're playing, it's still a match in a large hostile venue in Europe; it's gotta be better than another match against Guatemala in Dallas or the like. And it gets us playing more or less back-to-back in that kind of an environment, rather than just going over for the one game against Switzerland.

11. Team_of_McBrides

I can't wait for the trip to Europe and if I am going to be attending the match I better brush up on my Spanish.

Not too sure the Catalan side will put nearly as much emphasis on the match as we will, but still will be quite an experience either way.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

If you REALLY want to fit in you should learn to speak Catalan. :lol:

13. Team_of_McBrides

Sure that would be the obvious choice, but I've never studied Catalan. I have on the other hand studied Spanish and it is the second most popular language spoken there. So I think I will just brush up on that and hope for the best.

Lazy Americans... :wink: