More Hatter Troubles

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, May 14, 2008.

1. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

A bit like Barnet then with a little bit of Wimbledon/Charlton in the mix. I wouldn't put it past them to force Luton out of Kenilworth and then not do a thing to assist in procuring a new site within the area.

Tricky situation. The Owners/fans think the future is in a new stadium. You can't use the sale of the ground to bring in funding for a new ground. And presiding over all of this is a Council that bows to the slightest NIMBY reaction to a new ground location.

My read on your new owners is positive. I think there is a good combination of experience and contacts there. I hope they can untie these long-lasting knots you mentioned.

If a club like Brentford could wrest control of Griffin Park from Ron Noades, wallow in a mound of debt, and still manage to gain permission to build a new ground at Lionel Road, then there has to be some hope for Luton with a better group of owners in charge.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Misery loves company. Bournemouth and Rotherham are both starting the League Two campaign on minus 17 points. Luton doesn't have as far to go, at least.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah; the rest of League 2's marginal teams must be taking a deep breath out of that. As for Luton's survival, I guess that if only two are being expelled from the league in April, now they've only got to pick up 18 points rather than 31.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just thought you'd like to know ... Luton drew 2-2 at Chester this evening after having their last two matches postponed for frozen pitches. This gives them 7 wins, 9 draws, 8 defeats, and -- finally -- ZERO POINTS for the season.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

woo hoo, yippie fiz :3d tongue:

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Only 14 to go until you escape relegation. You probably had to catch the teams that hadn't had points deducted. It could happen!

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Having just done the math and comparing it to the league as it currently sits, Luton should be comfortably mid table. Come on Luton, you can do it.

7. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

HD, at the very least, you are creating a nice group of Americans following Luton. Hell, I don't even know where it is, but I find myself checking almost weekly to see how they are doing. I promise you this Don, if I win the powerball anytime soon, you and I are taking a trip to see Luton and then catching up with Mike at the Cottage for the Whites.

8. Bradical

Bradical Member

Heck, if I win Powerball I will buy Luton for (-$30 M).

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'll join in. If I win the Powerball in January, I'll buy Luton and Moritz Volz. Don can thank me later.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow, thanks for the support guys. :rock:

If you do that, I'll throw in a copy of my CD! :lol:

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Based on performances to date, Luton and Grimsby are going to fight this one to the wire. Luton on pace for 27.5 pts, Grimsby on pace for 28. Goal diff advantage goes to the Hatters.

Their meeting at Kenilworth Rd on 3 Feb looms large for both sides. They drew 2-2 at Grimsby Town. Talk about a 6 pointer.

12. Bradical

Bradical Member

Luton continues its quest for hardware today away to Brighton for the Southern section final (leg 1) of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy...

I think Luton's motto for the season should be "Why not us?" (other than that point deduction business of course)

13. Bradical

Bradical Member

And nil-nil heading back to Luton.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yep; and thanks to some firings in the upper leagues, one of LTFC's best strikers is back from loan. Woo Hoo! When it's January 20 and you have no points, every step is a step forward!

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The 2nd leg of this match is today at Kenilworth Rd, 1:45p CST. A win here, and the Hatters go to Wembley.

1-1 at half time. Hatters opened the scoring on 2 minutes. Do they go to away goal scoring if tied...or penalties. If the former, then this is must win. Brighton picked up a red card in the 45th min.

1-1 at the end of regulation and extra time, despite a 16-4 shot advantage for the Hatters. This did go to penalties, and Luton advance to the finals after winning the shootout 4-3.

Luton Town will face Scunthorpe Utd at Wembley.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Luton going to Wembley in their last season in the Football League. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I really appreciate how you guys's have taken my old side on.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The FA sucks. Seriously, with all of the alleged graft and tapping-up in English footie - they decided to kill Luton Town...and then go back to bed apparently.

Good on the Hatters though, and it will be a grand finale.
    There's still hope in the League...they've got their point total on the positive side!

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As you could probably guess, I've been following The Hatters pretty closely this season, and what they've done is amazing. As near as I can tell they have ONE player left from the time -- 2006 -- when they were a CCC club, and that player probably can't be transferred because he had a heart attack a few years back. Their other players were all sold off to control debt, and Mick Harford has done well with cast-offs and loans.

It wasn't that long ago that I had a running bet with ChicagoTom over the comparitive fortunes of our "second clubs." Palace and Luton were consolidating their positions in the CCC, and now ... .

Once again, I have to thank all y'all who've rooted for LTFC this season. It's nice to see them in double figures point wise.

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Unfortunately, Luton closes with the 3 best teams in the 4th division. 5 of the remaining 9 matches are at home, but with 12 pts down and 9 matches to go against their remaining schedule, if the Hatters pull off safety it will make our feat last year pale in comparison.

Hopefully they can win at Wembeley and use the money to bounce back up in 2010/11. That 30 pt penalty was a death knell.