More expert advice: hard-boiling eggs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 30, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I know it's easy for some, but for others - like me- it takes years or even decades to figure it out.

1. Eggs must be fresh as possible. 21 days before sell-by is fresh, 14 days is marginal, 7 days, dont bother unless you're desperate.. they are only good for omelettes and hard-yolk frying.

2. reasonable size pan. dont put 'em shoulder to shoulder but dont worry about 'free-ranging' them either. Just need ability to roll around a little.

3. eggs in pan, cover with cold water.. mean just cover them. (if they float they're too old, but you can try)

4. set to whatever heat you know will sustain a rolling boil on pan that size. Dont just put it on 'high', esp on elect range.

5. come back in 15 - 18 minutes... OR if you forget, like I do a lot, check that eggs are now only 2/3 covered.

6. pour off most of the hot water hot and immediately dowse with cold water; once water in pan is cool slow faucet to trickle of cold. For five minutes.

NOW the part we all hate... and now you'll be amazed. tap the egg on a hard surface till it's cracked all round. squeeze the shell gently to get it started, then roll it between your palms for several seconds, light but firm pressure and you should feel the shell giving as you do it.

Remember it's the membrane clinging to the white that causes problems.

- Pick a spot and peel by pushing shell away from white with thumbnail, not pulling it off; if the membrane still clings run water over it or peel underwater in same pan as the cooling eggs.

Remember the idea is to get the membrane off the white.

No need for salt.. never saw it made a difference, no need to 'blow' through end of shell.

Again, depending on age, the shell comes off in one or two pieces, held together by the membrane.

good eating on salads!

2. pettyfog

Update: Despite me saying 'Dont use salt' I usually did, maybe for good luck. But the wife turned me on to a FB post suggesting to use Baking soda in the pan, instead.
    Guess what.. that works like a champ for me. The shells practically fall off following the above directions. Since I do eggs at least twice a week, and MANY for holiday dinners, believe me, I can tell the difference.
    And it's a big

3. pettyfog

Bump! {that's a retro concept from us internet old-timers}
    Seriously... if you are doing deviled eggs for holiday, use Baking Soda. teaspoon per qt of water does the trick but you can experiment using more without ruining the eggs

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I'll have to try the baking soda thing, but I have also recently discovered a pretty good method for hard boiling eggs - essentially the eggs are steamed rather than boiled. Put a basket for boiling steaming vegetables in a pot and put water in (water should so high that it is in the basket). Get the water boiling and then put the eggs in and cover. For typical hard boiled eggs steam for 12 minutes, but if you want "dippy" centers pull them out at 6 minutes.

I then rinse the eggs under cold water, sometimes letting them sit in the pot for a minute or two in ice water. Then I just smack the egg on a flat surface to make a break to grip the shell. Usually comes off in two chunks.

I'm a stickler for bright yellow yolks and the inside of steamed eggs are lovely. I had egg salad for lunch today and if I had known this would be a subject for conversation I would have taken photos!