MLS rule changes: foreign players

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Dec 19, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Addressing the DP slot problems and SI rosters by taking the easy way out.

Down the path to NASL?

They have a point and those who want to remove 'single entity' type restrictions will be happy... but is it too soon?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's really a tricky balance, isn't it? If the MLS is going to be respected around the world, it can't have the sort of restriction other leagues do not. My concern is that it'll be considered an oddball league among the American family of sports, which of course isn't true. MLB and the NBA are also multinational leagues.

Another concern is that we have to balance stability and growth. It is true that MLS needs to grow and include new regions to become [excuse the triteness] all that it can be. It is also true that overexpansion can be a deadly mistake. The next 3-5 years are critical in the life cycle of the league.

About the NASL concern, the big difference [for the two of us around here who remember the league, as opposed to just reading about it] is that the MLS is as much a breeding ground for developing talent [of many nationalities] as it is a "final resting place" for international stars. The NASL was never that. Another major difference is that the NASL never made itself a showcase for American talent in the international shopping mall of world football. The MLS is. I can't imagine a playoff match venue that isn't filled with scouts from Europe.

So, I don't think this will hurt the MLS. If it brings in more sponsorship money -- as Beckham certainly has -- it won't hurt. And the product on the pitch keeps getting better. Let's just get rid of that turf with those @%@# gridiron stripes.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

4. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

although I think this is a step in the wrong direction, it is only a small step. Lets hope it does not go the way of English premier clubs who field mostly non-English players. I have a bet with my brother in England that the USA will win a World Cup before England does, so we need to keep promoting home-grown talent which does not happen in England anymore.

5. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

6. EricD

EricD New Member

I was pretty low when the NASL folded. We had season tickets to the California Surf, and it folded right when I got my driver's license. My father did not want to go to all the games, so I was really looking forward to going with my friends.