MLS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wont impress the euro-litists but this season was among the best ever for MLS fans.

The defending champs spotted the rest of the league ten points then recovered to outrun everyone else in the back stretch to the Supporter's Shield. As a Crew fan, I note that they join the best long-run teams {Chicago, DC} having won back to back and now three in league history accomplished every which way. Losing the least in 03, fast breakout in 08 and 'catch-up' in 09.

Other clubs of note:
    Seattle - Arguably the best managed team in the league. Both FO and Head Coach. I put Crew second, and I dont think there'd be much dispute on that from the footy wonks.
    Galaxy - FINALLY got their act together and that must be credited to Bruce. Landycakes deserves some credit, too.. and so does Beckham. GRant Wahl's book didnt hurt in more meanings than one.

Chivas - Preki's done a great job and they've finally got out from under the association with the 'mother club' which was not helping.

NYRB - Most casual observers on the 08 season considered them a playoff fluke. 09 proved them right. NY is STILL NY and they need more than just a new stadium.. but that might help.

Dallas - the classic overachievers of the group Changing managers and bringing in Cunningham to replace Cooper was the key to creating the spark that was needed to even have a chance at the playoffs. Getting in is secondary, the point was: in July they were considered done for the season.

bringing us to..

Chicago - Underachievers. This had to be the year. It's not over with, of course, and they have a legit shot at MLS Cup, but everything has to come together to do that. The Chivas game wont really inspire them, but who knows.

Cup Game picks: I said months ago that it would be Crew v Gals. I wasnt wrong... meaning havent been YET.

But anything can happen.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really need to find a team and stick with them so I can have an interest in this league. I've probably supported every team in the MLS over the years. Never had a feel for a specific team though, although I was supporting the Galaxy for awhile.

I haven't kept up much, but when I have watched Seattle, I have seen a pretty damn good team. The home field is the best in the MLS and they have a great player in Montero. I guess I'll pick them to win tthe Cup.

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

'fog your analysis couldn't be anymore correct. At this point it really is a crap shoot to see who makes the final. So with my shot in the dark I'll go Seattle vs Crew in the final. It might be unrealistic but I can dream right?

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Hey - Seattle has a shot no doubt. Can't be counted out.

Good stuff petty.

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

So far it looks like for the Western Conference the matchups are:

1. LA Galaxy vs 4. Chivas USA
    2. Houston vs 3. Sounders FC

We'll have to wait and see what happens with the Revolution vs. Columbus game to see what the Eastern Conference has in store for us. You really couldn't have asked for any better as far as the Western Conference playoffs go. I am ecstatic for this baby to start!

6. pettyfog

MLS Playoffs: Crew Flaming out?

Coach Bobby played extremely cautious at RSL, benching GBS {who seemed to really resent it} so as to safeguard him and starting Renteria and Lenhart up top. The last I approve, benching GBS, no.

Result gets Crew behind 1-0 in total goals, so they must make that up at home and then add one or win PKs. A month ago, I'd have said LOCK.. now I am not so sure.

Other results:

Houston @ Seattle 0-0: Nominally this would put Houston in the Drivers seat because they play the last leg at home. Except they are playing Sigi's team. To close to call with confidence but I lean to Seattle advancing.

Chi at NE, today 2PM EST FSC. Chicago has scoring problems {Who Doesnt?!!!} but NE is in worse shape. I got a feeling it's over. Chicago 2-0. But it could be the opposite depending on the locker room vibes. NE is this playoff's dark horse.

LA v Chivas, today 5PM EST ESPN2. Two Words:
    Donovan Beckham

What do they do in second leg... Swap Locker Rooms?

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: MLS Playoffs: Crew Flaming out?

Beckham will yet again suffer through trying to figure out who is home and who is away, a la San Siro, as explained by the Special One.

8. pettyfog

MLS Playoffs: Leg1 Results

Chi @ Revs 1-2
    Gals @ Chivas 2-2
    As I said above, the Revs are the dark horse.
    Chicago is down a goal going home but has trouble scoring and winning at home this season. And Shalrie Joseph is a beast, a hungry one.

The same for Columbus, as of late, but NE is better scoring away than RSL is.
    Alexi Lala thinks Crew still has the edge. Robbie Findley probably thinks otherwise.

Next leg the Gals home crowd get to play twelfth man. And can Houston's crowd respond enough to counter Sounders' confidence?

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm going to go ahead and say that Columbus is going to win their next match and go to the semis.

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I went to the Galaxy-Chivas game today. A fun 2-2 tie with Galaxy playing the best in the first half and a fired up Chivas squad in the second half.

11. pettyfog

I asked you not to say that!

:roll:

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm being serious too! I guess we'll test out that jinx theory.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Lax, we talked about going, but there was way too much on the plate on Sat. to drive back down there on Sun. Looked like a good crowd and a fun match to watch. From the highlights, it appeared Donovan got away w/a handball on his goal.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I'm going to a watch party at Rio Tinto right now. I have to admit though, I don't have a lot of confidence in the boys on the road so I'm predicting a 3-1 Columbus win. Hopefully I'm wrong.

15. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Wow, what a game. A very spirited comeback by RSL even though it wasn't the best football ever played but such is the playoffs

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Who won?

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Good question.

Fog, how did the Crew fare?

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

After yesterday's trifecta of awfulness, Fog may be out of town for a bit.

Which means we can use profanity! Yayyyyyyy!!!

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

omsdogg 3 Pettyfog 2

The Massive Yellows are on vacation.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator