MLS In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 23, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. pettyfog

MLS Sat: LeToux Three!

Le Toux gets hat trick for PUFC over DC 3-2.
    Ale Moreno figured in Le Toux 2nd and third

RBNY stumbled at Chivas 0-2, RB GK Condoul scores own goal, Zack Thornton gets assist on 2md with long GK

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Re: MLS Sat: LeToux Three!

I knew Seba was capable of this. Good on him!

4. pettyfog

[​IMG]

O'Rourke accumulated some bad vibes with the ref and finally got red carded for dissent after raising hell about the hand-settle of the ball by Avila to take the score tying shot.

But meantime, GBS just lost it when the ref didnt see the hand.

[​IMG]

From Dallas' MB:

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

The Union are fast becoming my Newcastle of MLS. I can't stand them.Check out Danny Califf's red card. This was a damn WWE maneuver. And he wears their armband? Crying out loud.

6. Steve_orino

Steve_orino New Member

Appreciate that you posted that link Steve...I didn't see the game - Very cheap shot and had he made a better pass, it was completely unecessary.

I rated Peter Nowak as a manager but I think he's taken the "City of Brotherly Love" mantra too heart.

7. pettyfog

MLS: Kamara Reparations

By Crewfan consensus, the team has played exactly one game worthy of Supporter Shield repeaters this season, that being the match against the Revs last week. Certainly not the Chivas game last night in which the Crew were roundly outplayed. Yet 'better lucky and win than good and lose' still holds true and they're one point behind RBNY, who lost to Seattle, with two games in hand.
    Meanwhile Gals, who still are way ahead on single-table points, seem distracted and managed to let TFC draw against them.

DCUnited? Well it's business as usual. Rapids win at RFK for the first time in ten years
    ------------------------------------------------

Here's an interesting sidenote: Most MLS fans know that historically Chad Marshall has routinely been mugged in the box on corners and set pieces. The Crew evidently took videos to the MLS referee councils and now it's one of the things looked for. This resulted in the 90' Schelotto PK last night for the win over Chivas.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    In related news, if you want decent stats and no nonsense access to them, the official MLS site is still a freakin mess and you're better off finding another.. maybe local source.
    MLSSOCCER.Com standings
    Dispatch MLS standings

There's no excuse for that crap. When is the league going to stop the madness of letting social-web designers define content!!!

If you just want a quick rundown of results / opinion, the 'News' dropdown isnt bad.
    But I wonder if InterMilan results should lead the list on this site

8. pettyfog

ChicagoFire: WTH?!!!

Greg Lalas blog on MLSSOCCER
    - I put the direct link in cause it's hard to find the doorknob on the front page

Didnt I say that weeks ago? Brian and CJ do NOT play the same role.
    - I beg pardon cuz I'm not as role / position astute as Don is, but I aint blind and I aint stupid.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Henry to RedBulls

Per the Boston Globe Thierry Henry will be heading to New York to cash in after the World Cup. He's 35 and you never know what his motivation will be like. However, his face has been on a few commercials over here (Gillete, Nike) already so this is not a surprise if true.

10. EricD

EricD New Member

RE: Henry to RedBulls

I thought he was 32

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well when you've had a ECL medal last season, and a La Liga Championship this season, and you're about to go to South Africa, the next logical move is to sign for the lamest franchise in a league with a salary cap. :3d laughing: :3d funny: :3d laughing: :3d funny:

By the way, he's been doing those commercials with Tiger and Kobe for several years now -- mostly because the ads can be used in pretty much every market in the world.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

There's lame and there's the salary cap, but do you think he is aware of the massive amount of Irish people in New York. Does he know that the civil peace and order is provided by Irish cops?

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

You're right Eric (August of '77) went back and checked the Boston Globe and they had him at 35.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

nicely under the radar, mo.

if this really goes down, it's a massive coup for mls as henry is still fantastic all things considered...and he would most likely draw additional talent to the league.

my spidey sense tells me this move isn't gonna happen - but it also told me the '02 giants were going to win the world series and '08 fulham were relegated...in other words, my premonitions aren't worth a $hit.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Bring him to Seattle - we will take him. He has a lot of goals left in the tank - I have no doubt.

16. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Yes, finally someone who realizes how to put the ball in the back of the net is what the Sounders need sorely right now. Hopefully Nkufo can remedy that as well. However, Henry in Seattle isn't gonna happen.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Henry's best buddy* lives and works here in San Antonio, but we have no franchise ... DAMMIT :twisted:

* Tony Parker.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i'm stuck out of town on business and looking forward to killing time watching red bull v. crew and THERE'S NO FRIGGIN' GBS because he's suspended?!?! dang, it sucks that a national audience doesn't get to watch him...and sucks more that i don't get to watch him

19. pettyfog

Ah.. but I hope you got the message. This is the team that sigi built.
    On the Crew board pregame thread I posited that GBS being out would screw up RB's game plan. Wouldnt you say I was right? He's SO much more than just a player, he's ALSO a 'Red Herring' so to speak.
    - When GBS is on the field, Eddie Gaven is overlooked. Eddie Gaven is 23 yo, folks!
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2003–2005 MetroStars 69 (16)
    2006– Columbus Crew 116 (20)

Sez something doesnt it? NY has to do more than get the Thierry Henry's Lothar Matteus' of the world.
    You think they dont wish they had Eric Brunner now instead of trying to hide him in the 'development' reserves? Really think Brunner isnt better than freaking Petke.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    - The Crew havent put together a really decent game yet this season. Other than the Toluca CCL game, the best effort was against NE. The big question is 'What happens when they start playing 'attractive football'?

- check out the Crew record for 2009 with GBS not playing. Only RSL can seem to plan for 'no GBS'.

Crew hadnt won at NY since '03 mainly, I think, carpet phobia.

Hope you caught the post game shots of Frankie in front of the Traveling Nordecke... the guy goes NUTS!

Ives' in-game commentary and the reader comments.
    -------------------------------------------------
    In the other game of note: LA kept pace with the Crew; Beat Dallas 1-0

- Many Gals fans in their BS MB are looking forward to an MLS Cup final against Columbus. Not surprising because Gals fans and Crew fans have a certain affinity, we actually LIKE each other esp since 08 Final... but there's the pesky playoffs to consider, and things OFTEN change a lot in WC years.

20. pettyfog

Beautiful Game leaves bad taste

Crew 0-2 Galaxy

Scroll up and you'll find that I said the unbeaten Crew had yet to play one really nice game, that is one that had the proper balance of attack through the midfield, passes strung and everything else that is a feature of a really good team.

Last night they did
    and
    lost

Get this: Cols took 21 shots, LA 3
    SOG 4 - 3
    Corners: 15 - 0

Columbus Defense made 2 mistakes, and both cost them

Both LA goals were the league firsts for the scorers. Lenhart AGAIN rattled the opponent defense but he is now officially snakebit.. he must have missed 5 shots.
    - Crew 'fans' are beside themselves; blaming Lenhart, Warzycha and almost everyone but GBS who had one of his best games. GbS maybe took ONE shot because this was one of those games where your team is totally dominating and ONE of those is bound to go in.. none did.
    Galaxy fans are marveling at their luck. Some recognize it isnt JUST luck.

Dispatch's Shawn Michell has it right