MLS Cup 2009: REAL Salt Lake v. Los Angeles GALAXY

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 22, 2009.

?

Who wins MLS Cup 2009 Tonight?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2009.
  1. REAL Salt Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. L.A. GALAXY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I didnt hear this either, but I watched while talking to others because I had a feeling we were going to see penalties. Mentally I was already fast forwarding.

Beckerman was solid - I will agree. He was the Danny Murphy of RSL.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Probably would have won it in regulation if they'd gone 3-5-2, eh Jens!

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

lol...

MAYBE!

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

BTW - I prefer 3-4-3 (if you go to 3 at the back) but that is just me.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I cant say for sure but .. you're probably right.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

How could it be over BEFORE regulation? :lol:

Yeah, he got into a lot of dangerous spots though. And I agree with everyone saying Beckerman had a great game. Mathis too (other than mediocre delivery on free kicks), and he sure did slam his penalty home.

How did I not realize until yesterday that Berhalter was with the Galaxy this year?

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

'fog/Jens/WB: with one of the "4" playing an advanced sweeper role or Makalele, or neither? I like the sweeper.

This was an entertaining match for any neutral observer (like me). Multiple chances for each side to win and good showcase of play from the MLS. LD had the assist on the goal, but I thought he was pretty quiet after that too. I don't know if it's been said above, but the camera angle for LD's penalty miss was fantastic - seemed like you were right behind him and as soon as he let it go I thought 'he beat the keeper' and after another nano-second passed: 'that's over the bar.'

And whoever said Findley = Davies (maybe, circa '08, per chance) is onto something because, damn, he is fast (given it was L.A.'s back 4, but still). He also appeared aggressive in attack, but I think potential USMNT is too early this summer, but hey, maybe he moves abroad this winter...

8. nevzter

Also, did anybody happen to see / record the "History of the MLS Cup" that aired on Saturday? I've watched about half of it, and thus far, it's a pretty good recap / story of each final.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Me, me, me, I said it!

But I also said a game would be over before regulation (Don't make me reach all the way to NY to bitch slap you, jmh).

Still, Findley has a little bit of a first and second touch and some control issues he needs to work on resolving, but I'm sure with some help, that would be no problem. (LOVE Petty's idea about McBride coming back, but if not, which is prolly the case, Findley to start, Cunningham to sub?? Two the hard way to replace Chuck D, not surprising.)

10. nevzter

Ahh, I love dragging McBride back into the mix too, if only to elicit posts instructing us, the offenders of AARP, to 'let him retire in peace.'

And

What about "Three the Hard Way"?

11. nevzter

This from the page linked:
    "Findley is a cousin of Mike Bibby of the Atlanta Hawks, Eddie House of the Boston Celtics, and Shaun McDonald of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

There's not much athletic ability in that family, is there?*

* pending "Wiki" blood tests. :lol:

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Over 40K in attendance in Jet City was nice to see. However, I would still prefer the highest seed get homefield.

Jason Kreis (sp?) very impressed with RSL's entertaining, offensive style of play. A future national team candidate perhaps?

Let's see...who had the most posts on this thread?? Mr."MSL" himself 'Bhoy. Time to come clean Christian, the little feeder league actually caught your attention this postseason huh?

13. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I had the pleasure of actually being there for the match. I sat one section away from Salt Lake's latino supporters. They were really fun to listen to during the match. I almost ran down there to join them. The match itself was great. As soon as RSL scored I had a feeling it would go to penalties. It was a privilege to witness the cup live. Congratulations to RSL and Jason Kreis. The win was very, very well deserved.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and congratulations to you and the other Sounder's fans. I liked the fact that they had more genuine reactions to fouls, giveaways, breakaways than either announcer. A smart crowd at an important occasion is always a pleasure to behold. You and your local crew did your part to make the match a good one.

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Oh yes, and I doubt I'm alone on that this post-season. Last post-season, zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I would have been interested with either DYNAMO (Holden, et al.) or FIRE (McBride, et al.) as well, BUT having the biggest football star in the world participating undoubtedly drew many like me who wanted to se how one of Europe's elite (even if past his prime) would do and how the match might turn with him in the mix.

And that will be one of the keys to furture MSL success, the storyline of those participating, even those not from Europe (although that will be of less interest to some). Freddy Ljunberg would have been interesting to see as well. It would not be unpossible (to borrow a term from Nev) that we may yet see more European players who were cast off into the trash heap, but feel they have plenty left in the tank and a new found inspiration coming from something to prove.

Along with being a feeder league and retirement league, maybe we add rehabilitation league to the list now as well.

"The MSL: Come See Yesterday's Elite Work Themselves Back Into a Big European Contract!"

Has a certain ring to it, don't you think.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Until we move to a Fall-Spring schedule, we're not going to get any stars in their prime, other than Americans who got stuck in contracts.

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You want to explain that? I mean how it will 'entice' Euro players to come over and play in sleet and freezing rain, huh?

Sorry.. it's the money and the recognition, not what months you're playing in.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I would think a Fall/Spring schedule would better facilitate players leaving MLS. As it stands, the summer window is pretty much non-existant for players transferring out b/c no team in playoff contention (which is all but 2 at that point) can afford to let anyone of significance go with 2 months left in the season.

Andy's right also though in that it's harder to bring someone new in so late in the season. I think money is the bigger issue in attracting players into the league, but the schedule does have an impact.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

You just focus on beating Texas right now, please.

Please, please, please, beat Texas, FulhamAg! (And yes, you will be indirectly responsible if they do not.)

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Guys, RSL fans have been clamoring for Findley to improve his touch since the day he got here. It hasn't gotten better. As much as I love the guy on the club level, I'm not so sure he's got what it takes at the International level, at least not right now. Here's to hoping he does improve that and can one day impress at that level.

Regarding the switch to the 4-4-2, when Kreis took over he began having the team play this 4-4-2 "tight diamond" midfield. The attacking mid (Morales) and outside mids in the diamond have free reign to interchange and the outside backs were expected to get forward. The problem the team had is the outside backs did not give good service and the team was caught with it's fullbacks forward too much and other teams exposed those gaps when the ball was turned over. Kreis then changed to a 4-3-3 which was more of a 4-2-1-3. Johnson and Beckerman as holding mids, Morales free to roam anywhere, and Findley used out wide up front with Movsisyan in the middle, and Espindola on the opposite flank. Defensively it seemed to help, but the team wasn't getting enough good scoring chances and Findley was strung out to wide in my opinion. So Kreis switched back during and 18 day lay off and that brought Andy Williams back in to the mix which I think made a huge difference, and Findley was now closer to goal.