MLS and Mexican Soccer Federation form Superliga

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BC, Jan 17, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

The US and Mexico have teamed up to create the Superliga, a league of the top four teams from Mexico's top division and the top 4 teams in MLS. Sounds like it will be sort of a mini Champions League:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=400071&root=mls&cc=5901

I agree with Carlisle on this one, I think it will help MLS players and hopefully engender some national pride in our soccer teams.

2. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

RE: The Superliga

This looks good. I'm just sad RBNY isn't in this.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Jamie Trecker:New SuperLiga needs hard work to succeed

Trecker sometimes writes what I consider BS. But this article on the Superiga and what it, and Beckham, might do for MLS is pretty good.

Read it.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I love the tournament and have been wanting it for a long time but I'm disappointed in two areas.

1) All games are played in the US

WTF?! Champions league magic is home and away that’s what this was supposed to be. Okay MLS teams will now be playing Mexican teams in more meaningful games but there still going to be at Pizza Hut Park rather than Azteca. American players need to be exposed to the harsh environment on a consistent basis. This tournament really needs to be Home and Away not at random US stadiums.

2) Central and Caribbean teams not included.

This needs to be region wide. The best teams in Costa Rica have proven themselves better than MLS sides and at times Mexican sides they need to be in this as well. I'd do this.

A---------------------------B
    Mexican 1------------------Mexican 2
    Costa Rican 2----------- Costa Rican 1
    MLS 1------------------------MLS 2
    Carribean 2--------------Mexican 3

Unfortantly both these decisions seem to be motivated by money.
    As always MLS goes two steps forward and one step back :x

6. psand22

psand22 Member

The new tourney sounds great to me. Any chance for the MLS to get out and play teams from other leagues will only help the progression of the players.
    It's just too bad all the games are gonna be in the US....maybe on down the road they'll make some changes and do the home / away thing. And you're right, Spencer. It would be great to see them add the Carib and Tico's teams.
    A hot night in San Jose on those bumpy dirt pitches will prepare you for anything.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

? What is the CONCACAF Cup

Answer: Ignored

8. elopingcamel

elopingcamel New Member

Have they given any reason why it's not home and away? Is it because of the quality of the Mexican league pitches?
    Or is it bound to bring in more money in the states?
    Also, pardon the lack of intelligence on this one, but what is the COYF I see everywhere?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

COYF = Come on You Fulham
    COYW = Come on You Whites

Both references to Fulham.