MLS' AllStar lineup/ What to expect on the pitch in Columbus

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jul 13, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: MLS

That is a solid midfield for the MLS. I think Shalrie Joseph might be the best of the bunch. I think he could cut it in the Premiership to be honest with you.

3. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

4. pettyfog

RE: Re: MLS

Martin, When you play like crap, you get no votes!

:(

Never mind... Crew gonna get the "fired the manager" bounce.
    see below

They'll be all Fulham wants to handle before they take on the US/CONCACAF 'B+' Team.

5. pettyfog

Just in case you were wondering about the dearth of 'old fan favorites' vs 'best of the west' that you see on that list:
    MLS' Garber talked about the "opportunity to bring our best all-star game ever" to Columbus, "a market that has been so crucial to the sport of soccer in this country."
    It's gonna be one exciting game.

6. nowayjeff

nowayjeff New Member

Well this isn't really surprising..What is surprising is that Coach Clarke added two more Dallas players to the roster as subs. This is going to be very close match depending on who Captain Cookie decides to play. I have a feeling that this friendly will be anything but. Two of the most dangerous strikers in the MLS up front. With a well rounded, pacy midfield. Plus a solid defense. And a quality keeper in goal. Look for Ronnie O'Brien to be the man of the match for the MLS... He has skills, speed and can service the ball like no one else in the league. He was on the books for Juventus for cryin out loud. I hope Fulham don't think this is going to be an easy win. Because it won't be. I am getting excited about this game in two more weeks. Cheers everyone. See you there.

7. pettyfog

Wednesday Scrimmage
    As expected, the Crew is re-invigorated... but the most surprising aspects of the resurgance revolve around the play of the Reserves popped into the regular team linup in the last two games.

One of Andrulis' strong suits was the ability to spot talent...but unfortunately, that didnt make up for his inability to develop that same talent. His replacement, Warzycha's, charges have livened the game and been responsible for the two goals scored since Greg was sacked.

You few who come in Wednesday will see a start-stop match scenario, allowing both managers to try to fit the players into their respective schemes. Unknown is how much collaboration -which is to say 'helping Fulham in preparation for Saturday'- will be involved on the Crew's part.
    I would expect both McBride and Boca to get significant time in this game in order to shake off the rust.

What's in it for the Crew? Simply playing against some top-talent and showing off what they can do... for no other reason than their own satisfaction. Tho some of the younger ones will no doubt harbor fantasies.

Saturday Exhibition

As shown above, this will NOT be a lie-down for the MLS selections. One of the big objections from Crew and other MLS fans in the past has been that the name European and English teams dont come to play.

Previously; Leeds, Newcastle, Hamburg and Leverkusen have come into Columbus and only Leverkusen bothered lacing their boots... with the result that fans felt cheated. No-one takes a team seriously if their obviously less-skilled home team makes the big boys'reserves look like grade schoolers... and it sure doesnt help when, the one player of universal note on a visitor, to wit: Shearer, cant even be bothered with making an appearance to wave at fans.

Real Madrid, in the last week, showed what MLS -and ALL- fans WANT to see. That they beat the parent Chivas team disappointed no-one but a few Mexican fans, that they beat Galaxy, 2-0, heartened most.

That Real played to win made a lot of NEW fans for them.

SO this is a chance for Fulham to make a mark. If they dont come out with serious intent of beating this lineup which could easily contend for a WC spot, no one will gain.

Some serious fans in the US detest the all-star concept... but most THINKING fans see it for what it is... a chance to honor players who have tried to excel and succeeded. What this year is NOT is a popularity contest.

This year, that 'popular recognition' is reserved for McBride, and Bocanegra.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I completely agree with this. When I went and saw Manchester United's C team last year in Chicago, the fans were none to happy to shell out the big bucks for tickets to see a youth team play.

Fulham has a great chance in front of a national TV audience to show some good, smooth soccer against the MLS All-Stars. I think this will be a great match and I cannot wait.

Fulham has a chance to make a lot of new fans along the way! That is very important. Playing hard and doing their best is key in trying to get some new fans and get ready for the upcoming season!

9. Jux

Jux New Member

Jeff Wuerth from the Crew FO just posted the announced Fulham Roster on Matchnight.com http://forums.matchnight.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=11136.

Below is an edited version with just the FFC players. The MLS site has yet to be updated with this information though (esp. since Cole is still listed).

GOALKEEPERS (2): Mark Crossley, Jaroslav Drobny.

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra, Alain Goma, Niclas Jensen, Zat Knight, Zesh Rehman, Liam Rosenour, Moritz Volz.

MIDFIELDERS (7): Papa Bouba Diop, Ahmed Elrich, Claus Jensen, Sylvain Legwinski, Steed Malbranque, Mark Pembridge, Tomasz Radzinski.

FORWARDS (4): Luis Boa Morte, Heider Helguson, Collins John, Brian McBride.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

What?! No Marlet?! Haha, I couldn't resist. :twisted:

11. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Mike that's NOT funny..........