MLS All-Star game

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Jul 31, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ok, who is watching it tonight?

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd feel better if the All Star Game was the west v the east. I tire of the MLS playing foreign teams and making that a huge focus. It's time that MLS realized that league matches, cup matches and regional club tourneys are more important than playing a European team who has little interest in the fixture.

You're a big boy now, MLS. Time to act like it.

4. tim

tim Active Member

Michael Bradley is good. That is all.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I havent watched many MLS All Star Games, but based on those I have, I've never seen the All Stars so dominated by the opposition. I agree with Don in that I would at least like to see a change in the format. That starting XI for MLS was never going to be able to match the soccer acumen of Roma so they needed players that could challenge them in other ways - like speed and athleticism. Going to East v West format probably is a good idea. Then you have two teams that have been thrown together competing and eliminate the excuses of either side as to why they lost - preseason form or we're not use to playing together. Of course, East v West probably wont be as big of a money maker, but if you hold the game in the small soccer specific stadiums I'm not sure it will matter

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Does nobody remember what a joke the East versus West All-star matches became? I like it just the way it is now compared to what it was.

If you want to add something why not tie in a NASL-USL PRO match or a MLS youth system tournament and air the final.

7. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

They promoted the halftime interview with Commissioner Garber about the Chivas USA mess. I was interested to hear what he had to say, right up until he started talking. What a bunch of management we-have-no-problem-here bullshit. To say that I was unimpressed with Commissioner Garber would be major understatement.

8. tim

tim Active Member

I'm sure there are legal issues of what he could and couldn't say...but yes, it was pretty bland/diplomatic BS. I was surprised Alexi pressed it as much as he did.

It's getting a bit off-topic, but yes, Chivas is a mess and the "all leagues have teams on the lower end" argument is no excuse. Even if teams aren't performing on the field, you expect a certain degree of professionalism in management. I've long thought that there's a huge missed opportunity to market this team as the anti-Galaxy. The Galaxy is glamour, Hollywood, star power, etc. They're the Lakers. Why couldn't Chivas be the Clippers? They could easily build a following with a solid, workman-like team that produces results through solid team play (ok, so the Clippers analogy isn't perfect). But invest some money in the team, build out a solid squad, get a good coach and go after the soccer diehards who don't want to shell out Galaxy prices.