1. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I am not endorsing the business model perspective I posted above but I do believe it is at least close to the model that MLS is following at the moment. Personally, I think the Portland/Seattle build it from the grass roots method is the path to follow for club creation but I think MLS is dead set on building from a TV ratings perspective at the moment.

For me there are three current NASL clubs with a good chance of emulating Portland and Seattle's success if they were granted entry into MLS. Minneapolis and San Antonio for the reasons listed above and Indianapolis for coming out of the gates like their pants are set on fire. If you haven't been following the NASL or Indy Eleven you won't know what a success this franchise has been before playing match one. The Eleven stopped season ticket sales five months before they were required to because they had already sold all 7,000 tickets allocated to season ticket sales. Peter Wilt was quoted as saying they could have sold up to 10,000 season tickets but having a seat capacity of only 11,000 in their temporary home required them to stop taking season ticket orders so they could reserve 4,000 seats for the general public sales and group events. Wilt has said on record he believes every home match will be sold out this season. Of course Indy has barely started year one and all of this could fall apart but what a start it has been. Being an Indiana native and resident I am looking forward to following the Eleven's on field and off field progress.

Matt, I am convinced there is a population level at which a market becomes over saturated and the ability to host multiple professional sports teams is not viable. I have stated before that I think one of the leading reasons St. Louis does not have and will not have an MLS franchise is the Cardinals. I don't think it is a coincidence that St. Louis was able to fund MLB, NFL and NHL stadiums in the downtown area but has shown no real intent in finding an MLS location in downtown St. Louis. I truly believe that St. Louis is first and foremost a baseball city and I truly believe the Cardinals did not want any MLS competition entering the picture in the downtown area so none did.

2. BarryWhite

Brian Struas with his take on the most recent MLS expansion. I found it to be a pretty interesting read.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Dempsey with another two goals today giving him eight in his first six games.

[​IMG]

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and an assist

5. tslyon

tslyon Member

It was a good read. I do wonder if MLS is in danger of watering down the competition by expanding.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I know it's early in the season and some teams have a game in hand, but there is currently a 4 way tie for second place in the East.
    eastern Conference. First place is only a point above.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Quakes finally win - thanks to a Benfica loanee - and this not just in, but Wondo is pretty damn good.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

During the last USMNT friendly, one of the announcers said that Clint was battling through a calf injury while on loan at Fulham. I remember in one of the recounts on FoF of the Shef U match, a poster noted that Clint was constantly flexing it and stretching it out during the match. It was assumed he was cramping up. Seeing him in the highlight Lax included above, I'd say the announcer was probably right about the injury b/c he looks light years beyond what we were seeing at Fulham during his loan spell. More than just the difference between being match fit and not.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

+1 on Wondo. That wily veteran better be on the WC squad.

The Timbers still have yet to get a win. I find myself really disappointed in Caleb Porter and am coming to grips with how flawed he is. I used to think overconfidence was his only problem but now I think greedy stupidity is an even bigger problem for him. I suppose the greediness could be the fault of Merrit Paulson and not Porter - time will tell after the fall-out of what I now predict will be a disappointing season. The greediness is wanting more of what made them successful and surprising last season - their fast, attacking, possession-oriented soccer. If you look at their off-season moves they got more small, talented or fast players and got rid of their big men or more conventional players (for lack of a better word). They no longer have a target forward that can hold the ball up or be a threat on set pieces. Well they actually have one, Piquionne, but Porter never plays him. Another part of the stupidity is the bias toward Argentinian players. Fernandez has proven himself but Urrutti and Paparatto offer nothing more if not less than what could be found domestically. Paparatto cannot play defense in MLS, at least from what he has shown so far and as evidenced by the fact that he has been benched, and Kah and Futty are not much better. In almost every game they have given up completely preventable goals by leaving men unmarked. And not just any men but often the oppositions biggest offensive threat. The forwards and midfielders defend with high pressure but basic back four defending and set piece defending just isn't there. It's as if Porter and Portland are so intent on transforming how the game is played in MLS that they refuse to employ certain conventional tactics like an air game or man-marking. They are trying to play Barcelona-ball on speed. Last weekend the ever practical Dom Kinnear got a draw against them by putting men behind the ball but only by clogging up the middle of the field. He knew no crosses were coming in and even if they did Portland has no one above 5' 10'' to get on the end of it. I'm all for trying to make your mark on the game but there are just certain realities of life that can't be changed. Porter need to get his head out of the sand and swallow his pride - something I thought he learned to do after the Olympic qualifying. Methinks Kreis' cush Man City job has made him greedy and impatient.

In other news Nagbe continues to be hacked down from behind after he has beaten his man and the refs are doing nothing. No yellows, no reds. He is pulling away from the pack as the most fouled player in MLS and is going to end up injured.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've been noticing this more and more in this league. The ticky-tacky stuff gets called regulary, but skill players are regularly hacked by opponents with little or no consequences. It's a major failing of this league and it needs to be arrested. There are a lot of quick talented players in MLS and they're not getting the chance to show their stuff.

11. BarryWhite

The KC/Columbus match was full out fun to watch.

12. Clevelandmo

It was except for the fact that KC hacked Higuain every time he got the ball. It was worse than what teams do to Nagbe. I was so annoyed that I didn't get to see one of MLS's most creative players do his thing.

13. nevzter

"(The late rally) was too little, too late," Wondolowski said. "We can't be doing that. This loss is unacceptable." Re a 3-2 loss to Vancouver. Both goals by Wondolowski for San Jose.

He is a class individual. I still think it's iffy for him to be in the final 23 squad, but as part of the 30 man invitation, I'm optimistic.

14. Clevelandmo

I'm surprised no one has made a post about MLS's new TV deal. It is TRIPLE the previous. Great news and work by the league and I'm happy Fox is a part of it instead of NBC. I enjoy their soccer coverage much more than NBC's. And Matt I think you will be happy to hear that it includes a deal for consistent TV programing. There will be a double header game of the week every sunday at the same time. I would be curious as to why there was not consistent programming from the get-go. It's kind of a necessity if you want to grow viewership I would think.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...nounces-new-tv-deals-with-espn-fox-univision/

15. BarryWhite

I was very happy to hear that MLS is getting regularly schedule weekly matches on Sunday evenings with ESPN and FOX and Friday evenings with Univision. It is also my understanding that the deal will allow for flex scheduleing at the end of season so the networks can carry matches relevent to the playoffs.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It got a pretty big discussion going on the Facebook group.

This is big news and this is a big step in the direction of soccer perhaps surpassing some of the "bigger" sports like the NHL or NBA? I really don't follow those sports as much as I used to in previous years, even with my Bruins doing so well in recent years. Even with baseball I tend to tune it out until late August. MLS just might be doing something right. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Nope that wasn't predictable :roll: Landon Donovan finally breaks the all-time MLS goal scoring record last night (of all nights) w/2 goals plus an assist in LA's 4-1 rout of Philly. Robbie Keane set up both his goals and the Galaxy fans echoed Arena's by unfurling the 'If there are 23..." quote behind the goal in giant letters.

18. nevzter

That was awesome. And I love me some Quakes...but LD is a legend.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator