1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

No one in the league gets fouled more than Darlington Nagbe who has been fouled four more times than Clint and more than anyone all of last season. Osvaldo Alonso gets fouled nearly as much but the difference is he dishes them out also. Darlington, the 2013 MLS Fair Player Award winner, almost never fouls even though he manages plenty of take aways/tackles. He has committed zero fouls so far this season. The fouls on Nagbe occur mostly when he has beaten people because no one can handle him. I honestly think he is the best player in the league and could play anywhere in the world. Luckily for MLS and Timber fans, I doubt he will ever leave the US.

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Etihad airlines have signed on as a major sponsor for MLS. It's good to see the league get some global attention.

I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I've paid attention to Nagbe b/c of Mo. He definitely has the skills and if he shines this year, I think it'll be hard for MLS to keep him, unfortunately.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a good thing. I think Etihad has the tangental investment in NYFC so I can understand their financial backing of the league.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It's just gets even more depressing for DC:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/57 ... adium.html

Bit unfair to single the home opener since was a very soggy weekend in the DC area, I was expecting to see a lot of empty seats for that one. And, yeah, this winless streak was just as depressing as the weather.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This POR v SEA match sure is exciting.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm watching it as well. Good, exciting, wide open game with both teams going for it.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Wow, just wow. Those last 2 goals were well taken, but umm...where's the defense?

9. AggieMatt

Looks like Fulham. No back 4 protection. One defensive mid backpedaling and the other caught out on the wing. And this Chara guy, 2 very nice strikes from distance.

Hope they have enough some spare chains for that saw.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4-4! Dempsey with a hat-trick. Pretty cool pen there from him.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Remembered about the match late and turned on in the 49th minute. I saw it was 2-2 and figured I'd missed all the fun.

Not a great advertisement for the beautiful game, but it sure was fun to watch and filled with incident. I think MLS now closely approximates the Championship -- and that's good football in the world scheme of things.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Where is Mo? I need her to elaborate on what the heck is wrong w/the Timbers. Early yet, but 3 points after 5 games is digging yourself a hole out of the gates. Blowing a 2 goal lead was disappointing as a Portland fan, but what really irks me, is the lack of knowledge/scouting report given to the Timbers GK on the penalty shot by Clint. He might be the worst penalty taker in ratio to his talent that I've ever seen. He kicks it down the middle or slightly left of center EVERY time and not w/that much pace (just tell the goalie to wait until he makes contact and save it, since you'll barely have to move). The GK diving right is plain stupid and falls on the coaching staff.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

MLS player of the week … Clint Dempsey. Getting a hat trick on the road against your biggest rival will do that. Nice to see him rounding into form for the World Cup

14. Clevelandmo

I disappear this timeof year every year due to spring break and the start of the season for my son's team. Only have an iPhone for posting so I'll do my best to comment on the Timber woes. First, their defense just is not good enough. Ball watching, leaving players like Dempsey and Blaz Perez wide open in front of the goal, giving up PKs, and set piece goals. I don't know why Porter went down to Argentina to get papparato because he is not good enough. Everyone says it was for his distribution but instead his distribution has cost us at least two goals this season. I don't see any way Portland can improve upon last season with this defense. And that is Porters fault for not recognizing these guys aren't good enough. That being said, I'm not panicking yet. Portland drew a lot of games last year and so far the only loses have been against Dallas and Colorado. Dallas is playing better than anyone right now and the Rapids game was a strange one, in bad weather, and I don't portland has ever won a game at altitude. Plus teams are now worried when they play portland unlike last year so you are seeing more bunkering against them. Also no one is wasting player resources by trying to double team Nagbe and are instead just fouling him. Seattle fouled him three times in the first 7 minutes.

I agree between the coaching staff and weber someone should have known where dempseys pk was likely to go, but in their defense Dempsey doesn't take their PKs. It was only for his hat trick, but still a stupid coaching decision IMO in that situation. Makes me think Sigi doesn't know how poor Dempsey's PKs can be either.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I've probably missed a long dissertation on this sometime in the past, but what's your connection with Portland? I know you've lived in Houston, but is there a player or coach link?

By the way, I've been enjoying watching the Zips' alumni making their way in the professional side. Thanks for tipping us off to that machine a few years back.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Since she might dissapear again :sci-fi-beamup: :

Manager of Portland:

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Porter

17. Clevelandmo

Yes, the links are Portland players Nagbe and Nanchoff came out of the club where my youngest plays. They are two of the nicest guys you will ever meet and the best possible role models for young players like my son. Nanchoffs father and uncle founded the club where my son plays and it is like a second family to us. Portland player Zemanski is also from Cleveland. Finally, Zakuani, Nanchoff, Nagbe, zemanski, and Porter all came from U of Akron. I expect the links to only grow as Akron has signed two players from the Timbers development academy.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Clint Dempsey makes more money than 15 of the MLS clubs payroll :shock: No wonder guys from other teams are hacking him. The disparity between the highest paid players in the other majors sports is more (e.g MLB minimum salary is $500K versus the Pujols' or Cabrera's making 25 Million, but the guy making minimum isn't exactly eating Top Ramen). The minimum in the MLS is $35,125. Try living on that in one of the bigger markets.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17814 ... ls?cc=5901

19. tim

tim Active Member

David Beckham has publicly stated that, as an owner, he'll push for the elimination of the salary cap in MLS.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...ry-cap-20140402,0,7902176.story#axzz2ybf1FJke

The inevitable question will become: Will MLS bow to the pressure to compete with other leagues? Or will they stick to their guns and favor a more American-style approach to ensure some level of parity? As starstruck as everyone seems to get around Becks, I have to think the latter will hold.

20. AggieMatt

Funny, in some circles it would appear leading the league in fouls drawn means you're a cheat, a diver and a nasty piece of work. It wasn't directly specified, but I believe it also means you kick puppies. Darlington the dog-kicker. Or he's just a really fast and tricky wing.