MLS - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Very cool. Say, you haven't heard anything yet about tix to the USMNT qualifier vs. Jamaica there on 9/11/21012, have you?

2. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

I actually inquired about those recently with the president of one of the Crew supporters groups. He said they weren't on sale yet, and that he wasn't sure when that would be or even how much. I can definitely get tickets at face for anyone who may be interested.

I will put something out when I get more information.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I cancelled FSC+ and replaced it with MLS Direct Kick so I can now watch all the MLS games!! Looking forward to my first games tonight. Go Dynamo!

4. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Not a good first game so far. Down 2-1 at home versus Toronto?!?

5. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Make that 3-1...

6. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

How good was the end of that game? Showed some resiliency in coming back to get a point.

7. Clevelandmo

yeah, exciting end. Geoff Cameron getting the game tying assist - a CB pushing forward, got to like it. LA came back to win 3-2, mandocakes getting two goals and MOM honors.

8. Clevelandmo

Watched Seattle v KC also. Sorry to say this but EJ can play. A lot of one touch distribution by him as he pushed forward. He was called offside about 20 million times, but I think the linesman was consistently getting the call wrong. From what I saw I would like to see him back with the US.

9. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

How did it end up 3-1? Was it Toronto playing that well, or Houston not showing up?

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The NY-DC match was fun to watch, a lot more action than the England-Italy match earlier in the day. However, the result put NY level on points with DC. That was the best I've seen NY play so far and another mediocre start by DC, not sure how much longer DC will hold on to first.

Oh well, they're still doing a lot better than the previous 4 years.

11. Clevelandmo

You can say that again. I watched at least some of five MLS matches this weekend, and except for Houston v Toronto, they were all more entertaining soccer. Oh and the announcers were 10x better than Darke and Macca. Really loving MLS Direct Kick

12. Clevelandmo

At the start of the game Houston got several good chances in quick succession so I think they thought it was going to be easy and got a little over confident. Toronto really dug in at that point and didnt let Houston get any rhythm. Both sides were hustling and disrupting play with pressure. The difference for Toronto was Kovermans

13. Clevelandmo

The Timbers supporters for their game v. Seattle were amazing. What an incredibly positive atmosphere. They sing You Are My Sunshine.

Eddie Johnson had a beaut of a goal for Seattle btw.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It's been a disappointing season, but a victory the Portland fans won't soon forget :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

15. SoCalJoe

Jeff Carlisle's mid-term awards. Happy to see our old cheesehead Jay Demerit get some recognition. Ben Olsen has done wonders w/DC. Would have to include Dallas and Portland in the most disappointing teams category.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/mls/st ... f-carlisle

16. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

Greetings everyone! Long time but just checking in to let you know that I'm not cowering or hiding out in the parking lot. Which is more than I can say for my hoops. Hhhhhhhhh...... At least it's good to see David Ferreira back on the pitch. It took all of sixty seconds to see what we are missing without him. With him we look like a team that might be able to threaten your back line every once in a while. Without him...a high school club. Debate club, French Club, Future Farmers of America club....take your pick. (All apologies to those clubs for the disparaging comparison)

I don't know when I've been so ready for an EPL season to start and MLS one to be over. Although I'm concerned about all the trades at the Cottage also.

COYW (please!?!?!)

17. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

btw...quick shout out to Kevin Hartman on his 400th career game! Playing any sport for 16 years is pretty good, I don't care what sport it is. He's not as quick or rangy as he used to be. But, like most veterans with that much experience usually are...he's smart, decisive, inspirational, and a must have in your locker room.

Congrats to him!

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/ ... ls-sources

I hope this means there will be a nice injection of cash to whomever for a new stadium in the District. Anywhere else outside the city would be a shame.

19. SoCalJoe

:clap: Funny stuff Bill. Better to have a sense of humor about your team's misery. As an insider how would you rate Brek Shea's play this season?

20. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

Joe, I probably should have answered this question before the game I just watched. I want to like the kid. And I do...off the field. Like many professional athletes, he's good in the community with charity work and such and I was actually there with my daughter (who played for the youth club) when he was introduced as the clubs #1 draft pick. Really nice kid and home grown here in Texas.

That said, he has become the proverbial kid with all the talent in the world who you're just waiting for him to figure it out (also known as the Tony Romo syndrome around these parts). I find myself scanning my mental thesaurus for synonyms for the term bonehead so that I can stop yelling the same word at the TV over and over. I keep wanting to blame it on age but he has several caps for the USMNT and that draft WAS over 4 years ago. This is not a kid without experience. I'm sure you saw the nice "set piece" into the chest of the AR for which he was suspended 4 games. But there's something like that in just about EVERY game. Coincidentally (or not), this has really taken shape since he starting getting some starts with the USMNT and trained for a cup of coffee with Arsenal, who quickly said to him "thanks, but we have a sufficient number of boneheads here, thank you very much". He is like the poster-child for everything this team is about. Even coach Hyndman can't figure it out. It shows too because-don't quote me on this-but I believe he has not had the same starting XI in something like 10 games. He's just rolling in pieces to see what sticks.

Also, my apologies to Quakes fans who witnessed how a team this poor can make even the best team in the league look like a bunch of journeymen hacks. Just bad soccer all the way around. Which is why this team has not posted 3 points since April. AAAPPPRRILLL!!!

btw...Roget's has given me dunderhead and schnook and I think I'm leaning toward the former. "C'MON SHEA, YOU DUNDERHEAD!"
    perfect.