MLB time again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 1, 2007.

?

Who wins MLB's World Series in 2007

1. NY Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Boston Red Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Minnesota Twins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Anaheim [not LA] Angels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. LA Dodgers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SD Padres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. St. Lous Cards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. NY Mets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Atlanta Braves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Somebody Else, you idiot!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

Since the 1960s your whole city has two championships without a man named Jordan, so you shouldn't be talking about false optimism in Detroit. And it was no winning seasons since '94, which isn't much better, but still better than one championship in 90 years.

2. dstriker

dstriker New Member

Who has false optimism?? I sure don't. I don't remember saying the Sox were winning anything this season. You're the one that said the Tigers would dominate the Sox just like last season (even though they didn't) Personally, I think the Sox will finish third.

Anyways,....so we can just pretend Jordan didn't exist??? That's like saying..ok the Celtics would have never won those 10 NBA titles if they didn't have Bill Russell. Guess what they did. Not a valid argument at all.

Sorry..they count...6 NBA titles and had he not retired twice probably 10.

By the way, the Bears were NFL Champions in 1963.

I'll take the 1985 Bears, the 90's Bulls, the '05 Sox over anything the town of Detroit has produced...ever.
    Had the Cubs not pissed it all way in San Diego in '84 we would probably be singing a different song and dance about the '84 Tigers as well.

3. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

The 84 Tigers are one of the top 10 teams in baseball history, The Red Wings have dominated the NHL since the mid 90s, and the Pistons have owned the Eastern conference for the past 5 years. But, please take all the shots you will at the Lions, I still have no clue how you turn a 9-7 team into the worst team in NFL history over a 6 year span. And lets be honest, the Cubs will always get in their own way when it comes to championships.

4. dstriker

dstriker New Member

Is hockey even a sport???

Top 10 MLB teams ever?? I disagree.

And any of the Bulls teams would ROLL any of these Piston teams.

As for the Cubs....what can I say....really????

5. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

Yes, in Detroit, but not in Chicago since we took Chelios from you.

They won 104 games only 7 teams since 1940 have had a better record.

I agree, you had the greatest player ever. That's like playing Gretzky on the Wings. (Sorry, hockey reference)

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm not interested in trash-taking other teams. I hope the Tigers win the Central and the Series this year, but it's going to be very tough.

If you're interested in a different way to project the season, go to the link below and scroll about 1/2 way down. The guy took the projected player stats from four sources and simulated the season 4000 times (1000 each) using the Diamond Mind baseball game software. Two general comments:

* My Tigers don't end up as good as they like. The average wins for them is in the mid-high 80s.

* The amount that luck is a factor is astounding. Generally, for each 1000 season block, the standard deviation is about 12-13 wins. For example, for one of the 1000-blocks of seasons, the Tigers' standard deviation is 81-93 wins. That means roughly that in about 1/3 of the seasons the Tigers won less than 81 or greater than 93 games. The software and projections may not be perfect, but it is the same data being run through the same program, and the results vary that much.

http://www.replacementlevel.com/index.php/P7/

PS--Mike, this is a Yankee fan's web site, so you might enjoy it from that perspective, too.

7. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Another impressive outing from Felix Hernandez, as he absolutely dominated the Red Sox in a shutout effort... at Fenway. A lot of hype before the game was placed on the Dice-K vs Ichiro matchup, but King Felix completely stole the show. If JD Drew's grounder had been a feet or two closer to Lopez (our second baseman), he would have had a no-hitter.

If Ichiro stays in Seattle beyond this season, the M's might have Hernandez to thank. The sky is truly the limit for him.

8. psand22

psand22 Member

Yea, the King stole the show tonight . That's two impressive outings in a row for him.......Being a Reds fan, it's been a struggle for quiet sometime. With the weak NL Central, everyone has a chance (even those Astros). I figure it'll take 85 wins to take the division.
    Harang and Arroyo are a good 1-2 punch, but it'll be that old / shakey bullpen that determines how far they go. I like the Reds chances and I really like Josh Hamilton. With his second homer in as many nights, Narron is going to have to find a place for him in the lineup.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Attention RedSox/Yankee owners/general managers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post ... =mlb,30831

Please, please, PLEASE sign this guy. I don't want him coming back to the Astros. He's still a great pitcher, but last year the guy came in in May for more money than anybody else on the staff and ruined what was a pretty good rotation -- ruined it just enough for us not to play post-season.

Besides, we don't need him. We already have several starters who get no run support and, when they do get a lead, have it lost by the bullpen.

So, please, you guys up there in ESPN land. Sign the guy.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Mariners are rolling right now winning 6 out of the last 7 games. If we did not have that piece of crap Weaver Pitching we would have an even better record. Washburn is pitching like an ace and Felix will be coming back so I really expect them to keep this up and challenge for the AL West as this division is not really that good. The Yankees finally looked like a good team then Philip Hughes goes down with an injury. This season has been horrible and it could continue as their pitching staff is horrible. They better pick it up or the Red Sox could run away with the division.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

After a slow start, my Phillies are slowly but surely working themselves back into contention and getting closer to .500 at 12-14. The NL East is a good division though with the Mets, Braves and even the young Marlins.

Thus far, I would say I think the Braves are the team to beat in the National League. The Phillies are playing them right now and a win tonight would give them two out of three against them before they head out west to play the Giants and Diamondbacks.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I would say that the Dodgers and Red Sox are probably the best teams in both leagues. The Dodgers have some really good young players and a good pitching staff with Schmidt and Penny leading the way. Alot of people are saying the Brewers are not gonna be this good all season, but with that kind of young hitting and with the pitching staff having 3 all-star quality pitchers they can be this good. They can win that division and then if they do make the playoffs they could really win the NL.

13. krhimself

krhimself New Member

It's been a month into the season and neither of the hyped Japanese imports have both shown a lot of inconsistency. Matsuzaka has struggled in the last three outings (though his batters bailed him out in all three), while Igawa has only impressed in his six-inning effort from the bullpen against Boston. He once again got shelled tonight, this time by my Mariners at home.

Maybe by the All-Star break, they'll show some improvement and consistency. The jury's still very much out, for me at least.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thank you, Geo. Steinbrenner [and whoever is pretending to be GM for the Yankees these days]. I was listening to the Astros game today when the word came down that Clemens announced during the 7th inning stretch that he was signing for the Yanks. It's also up on the Yankees' web site.

The Astros announcers were commenting on how nice it was for us to have provided him with spring training and weight training during the winter. I'm just wondering if he bothered to tell Drayton MacLane or Tim Purpura ahead of time.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

by jove... I think you've got something, there! Cant they send Geo a bill for traing services?

Not that it matters, but the Reds have Eric Milton available for sale or trade.. any old towels the 'stro's arent using?