MLB Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Derrick Jeter broke his ankle on an innocuous looking play and Detroit came back after blowing a 4 run 9th inning lead to win in extras...ESPN is treating it with the 10 minute (replete with background music) montage that is just a wee bit over the top :doh:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ESPN still hasn't come to grips with the fact that they're a national network. They still think that everyone is as caught up in the Yankees-RedSox thing as they are.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

ESPN pales in comparison to Fox Yankee love, especially when it comes to Jeter. I'm convinced they have at least one and possibly more dedicated "Jeter-cams" to get reaction shots when they do something positive. It's sickening, almost disturbing, like someone in the production team has a crush or something on him. Every World Series Fox has broadcast involving the Yankees has been this way the last decade-plus. Just check the tapes. Ugh.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

DIE YANKEE SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Mikey, but it's a habit of a lifetime.

5. jumpkutz

Even if the Yankees come back and beat Detroit in the ALCS (which I seriously doubt they will, given their recent form), it won't be any fun beating them in the Series with Jeter out.

6. SoCalJoe

Before the Giants tied things up with St. Lous last night the road teams had gone 16-8 in the playoffs.

Big story was the topic of expanded replay after the precious Yankees got an egregiously bad call when down 1-0 in the 8th inning. That call goes against any of the other remaining teams and it gets talked about, but nothing would change. Don't be surprised if for the postseason next year there is something added to include certain calls that can be reviewed. No reason that play and the one that went against the Cards (albeit down 5-1 when the first baseman did tag the Giants runner) shouldn't be review to get the call right.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, the problem is that there are too many people running their mouths in the broadcast booth and too many mikes in the dugout. Here's my idea of good commentary. "Fastball for strike one ... breaking ball off the plate, the count is 1 and 1 ... Riley on deck ... here's the delivery ... hard ground ball to short, it's hand-cuffed Majewski, and the Astros have a runner on first." The opposite to this is the 80,000 words devoted to Holliday taking out Scutaro at second base. Will there be retaliation? Should Holliday be fined and suspended? How injured is Scutaro [gee, I don't know, Tim, hasn't he gotten two hits since that play?]?

If there's anything more irritating than "fans" who know so little about their team and their ballpark that they set off a huge roar when a routine flyball is hit, on the never-ending drone of Tim McCarver?

8. jumpkutz

I don't see the Cardinals sweeping Los Gigantes at Busch, so I'll predict 7 games.....again.

9. SoCalJoe

You know things are going your way when your star right fielder Carlos Beltran has to leave to game because of injury, and the guy that comes in smacks a 2 run HR in route to a 3-1 win. Giants are resilient bunch, but the Cards have to be feeling bullet proof at this point.

10. jumpkutz

Scary to think where we'd be without guys like Matt Carpenter, Descalso and Kozma. In fact, we'd probably be talking about spring training, where Lohse will end up and whether Berkman is done.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i'm hoping for 7 games - the Cards seem to be sprinkled with fairy dust at this point. and, the yankees, for $#%@ sake, i wanted a chance to see them play SF in the World Series in person, but they are a paper tiger (!!!). congrats to detroit for rolling them up, however, i'm disappointed that the Tigers will have probably a week to rest while the Cards and Giants beat each other senseless - and it potentially means either team may face Verlander in a 1-4-7 situation. Tigers have to be smiling at that prospect. gotta cross my fingers for timmy tonight - don't know which lincecum will show up...

12. jumpkutz

Congrats to the Tigers and their fans. They're gonna be tough customers for whomever comes out of the NL. You gotta like their chances with the way their starters are throwing the ball right now.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Gotta love it when the Yankees crash and burn. :character-beavisbutthead:

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

and the $hitty lincecum showed up - damn sanchez for not holding onto the ball on the play at the plate but when you lose by 5 runs, it's not close. Cards are on fire now and you can't say anything about their bullpen which isn't superlative

15. jumpkutz

:text-+1: :banana-dance: :banana-guitar: :banana-linedance: :dance: :clap:

16. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

It is being reported that the Red Sox now have signed John Farrell as their manager for next year.

17. jumpkutz

Ever gotten the feeling you've pulled the rubber band toO tight and it's about to break? I've got that feeling about tonight. Matt Cain is the type of power pitcher who usually prevails in these type of situations. Kyle Lohse has had his best season ever, but he's not gonna blow anybody away. Momentum, Giants. Intangibles, Cardinals. Hillerich & Bradsby had to start making World Series Louisville Sluggers for BOTH teams this morning, just so they could be ready in time, whoever wins tonight.

Whatever happens, it's been a great season for the Cards.

COME ON YOU REDBIRDS!

18. SoCalJoe

Game 1 tonight. Verlander v Zito. Easy pick would be Tigers. But the time off that Detroit has had is the bane of baseball teams. I'll still pick the Tigers but the Giants have iron wills and would be no surprise to see them hoist the trophy for the second time in 3 years. The NL adapts far better to the AL dh style of play than vice versa. How does Detroit get Delmon Young's bat into the lineup in Pac Bell?

19. SoCalJoe

Who doesn't love a Panda? Pablo 'Panda' Sandoval going yard 3 times to join Babe Ruth (who did it twice), Reggie Jackson, and Albert Pujols as the only players to hit 3 in a WS game. Game 2 is huge for the Tigers, can't say it enough that having a week off really hurt Detroit, but they have a big advantage tonight in the pitching matchup (didn't help last night :roll: ) so expect a bounce back performance.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

HatterMom is pissed. We had just left the house about 6 last night when she remembered that she wanted to tell Facebook-world that Verlander was no match for the Kung Fu panda. He'd already done the deed by the time we got back and she knew nobody would believe her after the fact.

About SCJ's lineup, the most amazing achievement has to be Reggie Jackson's who got his three homeruns off three different pitchers on three CONSECUTIVE pitches. That, my friends, is the textbook definition of "in the zone."