MLB playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 15, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

So glad the idiots that run baseball (and I know that's an insult to idiots everywhere) have decided that having World Series games in November on the east coast is a good thing (Hey Bud it's called the Fall Classic, not Winter Classic!!). Unless of course it's a Freeway Series 8) Both of the Championships series will be very good

NL; Phillies and Dodgers; LA's bullpen is the best in baseball, but the Champs believe they'll repeat. Cole Hamels has to pitch well or the Dodgers will be back. I can't stand them, but LA in 6

AL; Angels and Yankees; My Boys finally stuck the wooden stake into the Undead from Boston :banana: Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's the Yanks turn to finally beat the Angels in the playoffs. The Halos' achilles heel is the bullpen, which will be exploited. NY in 7

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So you side with the Rally Monkey over tradition, eh Joe? Don't know why exactly, but I'm surprised by that.

I'm hoping for a Phils-Angels final b/c I've got money against the Dodgers and hate the Yanks as any good American outside of NY should. (edit b/c the san antonio paper had the schedule wrong).

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I wish the first round was a seven game series. I mean you play 162 games, only eight teams make the playoffs, and then WHAM you're done in three games.

As disappointing as it was for Minnesota to lose to the yanks, chasing down Detroit and beating them in the tiebreak game was as thrilling as it comes! I'm sure DC Dave feels a bit differently about it though :D

I wouldn't mind seeing the Phils win it again.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I hate the Yankees and Angels. I mean utterly despise them both. As a Mariners fan, I've had to suffer watching the Yankees beat us in the playoffs and watch the Angels win the damn division every freaking year. My dad is an Angels fan. If they win, I'll never hear the end of it. It is for this reason that I'm going to be cheering on the Yankees! Come on Yanks!

I think the Dodgers win the other series. Bullpen is amazing and they have enough offense to defeat the Phillies. The Phillies closing role could hurt them as well.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I could care less -- baseball totally lost me as a fan. Enjoy that clown McCarver.

6. SoCalJoe

Ag, the first game I ever attended as a wee lad was at the Big A (Nolan Ryan threw a shutout and Frank Robinson hit a hr). Back then there were no seats in the outfield, just the parking lot. Now, we live 15 minutes from the stadium and my wife and daughter love going to the games (baseball is the only sport our girl likes watching, and yes she has a rally monkey or 3 in her room), we tend to go to 6-12 games a season.

I've always hated the Dodgers, and after 30 years of being the red-headed step-child, it has turned into a true rivalry (ten years ago Dodgers fans barely knew there was another team in town, then the Angels started winning). TBH, if the Halos don't win it, I rather lose to the Yanks or Phillies, because I'll hear about losing the WS to the Dodgers for the next 30 years.

Steve, everybody hates McCarver except the Fox executives. I assume you were a Pirates fans, which would explain "losing you". That organization is an embarrassment, especially when you have the Steelers and Penguins in town.

7. SoCalJoe

Just finished watching the Angels lose in 13 innings. The single most gut wrenching loss for one of my teams in many years. Sick beyond words at the very moment.....

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

It was a good game. When A-Rod hit the home run I jumped up and started to clap and then rembered who I was cheering on and quietly sat down. When Izturis made that error I clapped again and happily called my dad to tell him how his team lost.

I'm in huge trouble for the Bears game. He's probably going to cheer everytime the damn Falcons score!

9. SoCalJoe

24, I sure hope you dad gave you a ring yesterday!!! :D

A college buddy of mine is a season ticket holder and his wife can't make it to today's matchup, so :banana: I'll be going the The Big A tonight for another do or die game.

EDIT; After the "die game"; Great atmosphere, but every time a big hit was needed a strikeout or double play would ensue. It's been a great season but it's going to end one step from the big dance. :cry:

10. SoCalJoe

I know this is a one-man thread, but screw it, postseason baseball is great (even w/McCarver and Joe Buck openly rooting for the Yankees. I can't too angry at them since ratings for Yankee games almost triple anyone else's).

My Halos will probably come up short in NY, but not because of the lack of heart, guts, and fight.

Oh yeah, and the blue scumbags on the other side of town got B-slapped. 8) They'll also will be stuck w/the dreadlock wearing, steriod taking (wonder why he's starting to look his age after getting busted :roll: ) no fielding, asshole for another season :lol:

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Other side of town? Anaheim is like 50 miles away! Haha, desperate to claim LA,eh?

12. SoCalJoe

24, Anaheim is 25 miles from downtown (less if you want to actually talk city border to city border), but who's counting 8) The LA basin is all together, connected by this wonderful invention called the "freeway system". If you're from SoCal and you go to Vegas, you never tell the dealer you're from Anaheim or Pasadena or Venice Beach, you just say LA, but I digress. I'm just happy that the Big Blue Dump on the hill won't be hosting the WS, it probably won't be in our house either, but the Angels are still playing and they're not.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

i must disagree(if only to keep the thread going). I'm originally from SoCal and always said specifically where I was from. I was born in Pomona and lived in Upland. I always said that rather than LA. Even people inside of LA say the exact location. Like my friend used to say "I'm from East LA". The only people who don't tell the neighborhood is Hollywood types who wants to seem "real". So they say LA.

Really all of this doesn't matter as it's really a Lakers town. So neither team will overcome that.

25 miles? Geez, I just took the Metrolink 2 years ago south and could've swore it was longer than that. Oh well.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the schizophrenic litany of name changes by the Halos. And why is Anaheim always bucking tradional naming? Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. It comes off as stupid marketing tricks.

Good comeback though. I'd love nothing more than to see them come back from 3-1 down to beat the Yanks. That would be the 2nd time NY blew the penant that way in the last 5 years or so.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt, the reason it's the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is that the current owner was known to want to change them back to the Los Angeles Angels from the Anaheim Angels. So, the deal was "Anaheim has to be in the team's name." Along with the tax payers who have to pony up the gap from the tax abatement he got, the city council got screwed.

My definition of perfect timing: Game 3, I flipped over to see if the game was over. It was two out and two on in the bottom of the ninth with the Angels at bat. The first pitch I saw was a game-winning two-out double. I turned it off before Tim McCarver could make me throw up.

Go Angels. Otherwise, the WS will feature the two most disgusting sets of fans in baseball -- those in New York and Philadelphia. Of course, if the RedSox went again, it would STILL be the two most disgusting sets of fans.

16. SoCalJoe

3-1 Yankees in the 5th and...THE F*&#ing Fix Is In !!!! The Yankees don't need the help of the homeplate umpire, because they are a great team anyway, but Petite is getting one strike zone and the Halo pitchers are getting another. Utter Bullshit. I would love to sit down with the rat bastard behind the plate, and hear why the same pitch is a ball for one team and a strike for the team that produces 3 times the tv ratings.

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Damn it. I hate those damn Yankees

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Yankees simply are the best team in the AL. I'm not even sure my mighty Mariners could've beat this team. Seriously though, I can now not have to worry about another ANgels world series which is good. Now hopefully my M's can really do become mighty and win the division next year!

19. IanHux

IanHux New Member

They do have the potential. I think Wakamatsu is the man to lead us back to the top.

Back on topic, GO PHILLIES! I hope they stick it to the Yankees.