MLB playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

The best team won here. (Cleveland) although they werent necessarily the shoe in as described above... I dont think they beat the Yankees all season until this series.

The point I was going to make was made by Don... national league baseball with the pitcher not hitting is the dominant form in playoff baseball and Joe Torre's magic. He lost that magic and its his fault for that. There were plenty of small ball situations that were looked over. I think he lost his edge, whatever it was, back in 2002.

Petty is right. Its takes more than assembling stars, but if you remember, the stars on the Yanks in the beginning of the Joe Torre era were pitchers. We havent seen one of them signed in a long while... and hopefully we dont need them if the youngsters work out.

Steinbrenner and Cashman made business moves... including the 28 million dollar waste of time, Roger Clemens, Jason Giambi, and more; that seemed more blocks than aquisitions.

I think enough could be blamed on both sides... management and coaching staff... I think the coaching staff Torre had in the early years was far more qualified and definately a part of his success.

Congrats Indians... dont blow it this time.

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

The Rockies are on the verge of going to the World Series -- who would have expected that a month ago? I was hoping they would do well, mainly due to the almost miraculous comeback of Kaz Matsui as a legit Major League player with Colorado, but I never thought they would do this well.

Then I remembered that they lost one game leading into the build-up of their wild-card playoff game vs the Padres; obviously, they haven't skipped a beat since. I do hope they make it to the Series, though.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Back in the olden days, MLB used to feature double-headers [for the price of one game] on Sundays and holidays. In those days, most clubs carried a veteran pitcher whose job it was to start a game only on Sundays so as to not screw up the rotation. With all those double-headers, the baseball season started in April and ended in September. The first week of October was for the World Series. These games were played in the daylight.

Now, while MLB is trying to imitate the NHL and NBA by putting 8 friggin teams into the postseason, the World Series gets later and later, and thanks to the TV networks, all games have to begin at 8 o'clock NYC time. Why am I telling youse guys all this stuff?

Because if Cleveland and Colorado wind up in the World Series -- as I'm praying they do -- we stand a good chance of still watching baseball on my birthday [NOVEMBER 16]. There's already snow in the Rockies near Denver, and it's never too early for lake-effect snow in the Mistake by the Lake. So, here's hoping that the weather gods decide to stick it to MLB this year. If nothing else, it'll get us rid of the absolute horror of a man who's the Commish.

Rant over.

Go Rockies!

4. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Thanks for those words of encouragement

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As an admitted Dodger hater, I remember when Eric Gagne went a whole season w/out blowing a save (over 50 games) and the nauseating pub that went with it. Now every time he goes out to the mound for the Sox he's bringing a can of gasoline to fight a fire. The weird thing is he was pitching great for Texas earlier this year, now he's the reincarnation of Bob Stanley to Sox fans.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Let's go Mistake by the Lake!!!!!!!!!!

7. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Official: Manny Ramirez is an a-hole

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Cleveland .383 with 2 outs and runners in scoring position... their production stats and OBP is amazing! Opponents = sad.

The WS TV ratings are probably going to be sad, but there's no doubt these are the two hottest teams in baseball. I might even watch.. I havent so far.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

two very deserving TEAMS. Who cares if the TV ratings are up or down? ESPN has conditioned everyone to watching Boston and the two New York teams almost exclusively, so maybe their zombies won't be interested, but the quality of baseball -- weather permitting -- plus the committment both the Rocks and the Indians display, could make this a memorable series.

Every time the Spurs make it into the NBA finals, they get there by committing to a team concept and executing it. They don't go for the fancy over the effective. They don't go for flash over substance. And they're a bunch of good guys. However, because they play team b-ball and because they execute under pressure, they're called boring and death to TV.

When are we going to understand that the essense of great team sports performance is TEAM performance?

Too early to rant. Must have my cup of tea and my oatmeal.

Congatulations to two [as HatterMom likes to say] teams of dentistry!

10. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Hey all, I've been out of town and off the site for awhile which is why I haven't chimed in (I hate fans who talk a big game and then disappear when their team loses...I am not that guy!). The Indians played a good series and they deserved to win, but I still think they were there for the taking. The Yanks should have won game 2 (and I will NOT blame the loss on the bugs) and if they had, who knows what would have happened in game 5 with Pettitte (their best pitcher) against Sabathia (who they got to a little in game 1)?

But it didn't happen, so cheers to Indians fans. I'm pulling for you to end your drought now.

About Joe Torre, he is beloved by Yankee fans, including myself, but honestly, he has mismanaged his pitching staff, especially the bullpen, for the better part of a decade. In recent years, his in-game management has really been questionable. But he is truly excellent in the way he relates to players, manages the personalities and deals with the media, the importance of which cannot be understated in New York. We'll see. I would be sad if he leaves.

11. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Can't wait until Monday. World Seres Tix on sale here in Denver. I'll be trying for 4 to every game. And no, I won't be the guy selling them for double face. I'll be the guy that when i know what games I can go to will sell others at face value to FANS. Go Rocks!

After saying all that, being from mississippi Braves are still #1 in the heart, but after living here for 11 years, it's great to see them with a good product on the field.

12. SoCalJoe

Couple quick thoughts....

How in the hell is there a day off (in Cleveland) when they aren't switching cities???? Who did MLB hire to do the schedule, the same guy who schedules the NBA playoffs??

Echo ClevelandSimon's take on Manny. Only an idiot stands w/arms raised like he hit a walkoff (acceptable when he hit a 9th inning bomb vs my Halos), did he not know his team was still down by 4 runs??? And I'm sick of hearing that b.s. excuse of "just Manny being Manny"

Too bad hardly anybody east of the Mississippi saw the Rocks win, can't believe baseball fans in the east didn't stay up to 2 AM EST for that last inning. Pure genius. Could you imagine if this was the Yankees or Sox winning 21 of 22?? Sportscenter would devoting half the show on it.

To the Braintrusts at MLB (oxymoron intended), who think the Series is just like the Super Bowl and a week off would be great for "the hype". dumb, stupid, foolish, etc......

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is why it takes a 5-man rotation to finish first, but only a 3-man rotation to win through the post-season.

Stupid; stupid; stupid.

14. Clevelandmo

Beckett is pitching for Bosox tonight and the Indians have his ex-girlfriend singing the National Anthem. How funny is that. Guess you have to use all the weapons that you have. Let's go Indians!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I haven't caught the beginning of an Indians game yet. Has Joe Walsh played the Anthem? I'd pay money to see that.

16. Clevelandmo

I havent seen the national anthem either but I will watch tonight. I doubt Walsh has sung it though because it would've been news. It would have been even better if he sang the anthem for one of the Spurs-Cavs NBA Finals games.

I agree with your post about the Indians/Rocks/Spurs being teams. I wish the team aspect of pro sports was appreciated more. The cavs are all about LeBron. He's a good guy, I like him but the Cavs do not play like much of a team. They didnt appear to have any offensive strategy other than LeBron in the finals. If they had played as a team I dont think that it would of been a blowout.

17. pettyfog

Red Sox v Rockies

Yeah... it's premature but I could'a written this in the 5 inning. Shame when the wheels fall off.

Oh, well... my sig line isnt so flaky now, is it. Freaking Tressell hogs all the mojo.
    :roll:

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is sad. I only can abide the Sox winning when they play the Yankees. I'm hoping for the Rockies to do well, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to suffer the smugness of the transplanted RedSox fan for another year. What gets me is the presumption that it's so wonderful to ANYONE who likes baseball that the Red Sox do well, like the entire sport secretly pulls for them. :x

19. pettyfog

I think that will mostly go away if they win the series, this year.
    It's only residual of the 'Curse'

20. SoCalJoe

Ugly Sunday evening w/the Steelers losing (my better half is a die-hard Terrible Towel waver) and the Sox winning. The Indians got hosed by the bad call at 2nd base on Lofton 5th inning double, and by their own 3rd base coach. Lofton would have tied it without a throw to home plate in the 7th, and everything might have been different (I can hear my Sox buddy, 'yeah, it would have been 11-3', but the not necessarily). As soon as they turned the double-play you knew it was over.

Sad but true, the Sox will win in 6 games. Two good things the Rockies have going for them; they won 2 of 3 in Fenway earlier this year, and since no one will give them a chance they should be able to play loose.