MLB playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

So far;

-Won't be surprised if Cleveland keeps up the hitting frenzy again today.

-Lou Pinella...huh?? doesn't pinch hit for Zambrano w/bases juiced, then pulls him in the bottom half of the inning??? 85 pitches only???, because you were 'saving him for game 4'????? Hey Sweet Lou, at the rate your team is going there won't be a game 4. My fatalistic Cub buddies back in Chicago are already phoning this one in.

-Stunned the Rockies have kept it going and the Phils didn't get at least a split. Sorry CT, but don't give up hope yet. The Phillies are a tough team and if they win game 3, the pressure will revert back onto the Rocks.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Hehe, it's a best-of-five series, fellas. Your boys played a nice game last night. They were lucky Joe Torre was trying to win the game for them. Oh wait, you mean he though bringing a rookie with 6.1 Innings of Major League experience into a four-run game would be good for the Yankees? Could have fooled me.

Meanwhile. how do you guys feel about LeBron being a Yankee fan? Is this better or worse than Tom Brady wearing the Yankee cap in Boston a few months ago? I say worse because LeBron actually wore his to a playoff game and he is the only reason Cleveland basketball fans haven't committed mass suicide yet.

3. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

At least the interviewer kinda called him out a little (calling him a front runner or something like that) since he supports the Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, and Chicago Bulls (best teams when he was growing up). Everyone here at work today is saying how much of an idiot LeBron is. Shows his true character. Tosser.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm no kind of Cub fan, but if I'm Lou and the bases are loaded in a tight game with Zambrano on the mound, there's no way I'm pinch hitting for him. Zambrano is not only a good hitter, he's a clutch hitter with power. At least twice a year he'll supply the margin of victory with his bat.

Having said that: Go Snakeys! Come on you Oxygen Deprived!

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

LeBron has an excuse, he didnt get a college education.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm w/ ya dtw. Come on Rockies....keep this momentum goin!!!

7. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Now thats just more good TV, Tribe fans!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm REALLY happy for you guys... you are nominal Ohioans after all.

9. Clevelandmo

Why is that?

10. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

never been described as "nominal" before. I have spent a third of my life in C-Town now you know!!!

11. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

I hope Lebron is crying in his huge pillow

12. pettyfog

LeBron the 'bandwaggoner' ... the concept is rich!

Good on the Indians... nice to see one competent Ohio pro team, besides the Cav's of course.
    - - -- - -- - - - - -- - - - - -- -
    Joe Torre, he doesnt need this aggravation, does he?

I dont know why people dont understand it takes more than assembling a bunch of pedigreed stars.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

hmmmm; RedSox, Indians, D-Backs, Rocks. What do they have in common?

Well, I just rechecked my original MLB early season poll on "who'll win the World Series." Because of poll limitations, I could only pick 9 teams and one "Somebody else, you idiot." Of the four, only the RedSox were a poll choice and nobody voted for them. :oops:

After going through all the posts, FFC24 was the only person to have mentioned any of the four favorably when he said that the RedSox and the Dodgers were probably the best in their respective leagues.

So, we suck at prognostication! :shock: No surprise there. The nice surprise of this season is what has happened to the NL West. There's a lot of good baseball being played by this bunch with the Dodgers, Padres, Rockies, and D-Backs all in it down to the wire. Why was it a surprise? Because, thanks to ESPN, any baseball game that doesn't involve the Yankees, Mets, or RedSox is not likely to be covered.

Anyhow, the Yanks are out. Go Indians to sweep the RedSox and I can enjoy a series with no "jeez, I hope these jerks don't win again" matched sets of luggage. 8)

14. pettyfog

Well, let that be a lesson to ya. For all you knew, the Marlins would have stocked up and come out from under that rock to make everyone look stupid AGAIN!

But THIS year it seems that Cleveland {sorta} Arizona and Colo did that. I like it when the unexpected happens all the way to the finish... let's face it, the Sox are battling 3-1 odds, and that's not just being superficial.

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

4 well deserving teams who were all clearly better than their opponents in the first round.

Looks to be the end of the Joe Torre era (probably will be let go today or tomorrow). After seven years w/out a title and over a billion spent on payroll it's probably time. Personally, the GM Cashman should be leaving w/him (there's 4 or 5 guys making 10 million + who are average players at best). Early odds on Joe Giradi as the next Skip. Hopefully Nick will lend some Yankee perspective.

The National league has two teams w/bandwagon fans, small TV markets, and west of the Mississippi (wonder if the TBS people wanted a Philly/Chicago series ????). I'll go w/the Rocks in 6.

The American League is a series even non-fans should watch. I have to think it's gonna go seven games. I'm pulling for Cleveland, more so just because the city hasn't won a title in any sport since???? (my guess is the Browns in the 50's sometime). While Beantown is spoiled w/all kinds of championships the last decade. I'll go w/Cleveland in 7

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One word about Joe Torre: when he got to the Yankees, he took a pretty good team and made them champions by importing National League baseball. Not content with the three-run homer, he had them running, hitting behind the runner, and generally playing smart and entertaining baseball. I don't think it was Torre who did the traditional Steinbrenner thing of stocking up on DHs -- Sheffield, Giambi, etc. -- and letting go of the kids.

Speaking of the kids, the Yankees won't find anyone better than Torre to mold them into the latest version of the Bronx Bombers -- those Under-25s who kept them in the race this year. But, true to form, Steinbrenner and his GM puppet will put someone less talented and less knowledgable. I don't really care, though; because I hate the Yanks. It was disconcerting to me in the early Torre years to watch them play and be entertained by them. Things will be much better -- for me and other Yankee haters -- in the very near future. Enjoy your pasta, Joe!

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

As a lifelong Red Sox fan this is tough, I really can't stand all these people now claiming to be devoted to the Sox and making it darn near impossible to see them at Fenway--but I can't root against them. I understand that the Sox are becoming this juggernaut that people love to hate. But the Sox are part of the best childhood memories I have...my cousins and I would catch a school bus (round trip) to Fenway and see a game in the bleachers for $5--part of deal with an Elks club, I bleive.

I still remember us kids pestering the the relievers for autographs and heckling them too, at the same time. And this was during the chessy eighties with "Tastes great! Less Filling!" chants going back and forth with a beach ball being punched around.

Long story short...I want the Sox to win, but I can tolerate losing.

18. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Rocks in 6 over Dbacks and then on to the World Series. Broncos are for once playing 2nd fiddle in Denver in the month of october.

19. Clevelandmo

It is days like today when your confidence in the world is restored. Cleveland has defeated those contemptable Yankees and all is right. Go Tribe!

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Totally agree Heather. I love the Sox too, but I've been loathing the commercialization of the team and park, and its yuppie fanbase since 2003 when it became "cool" to follow them. If you dont remember 1999, you aren't a fan.

I'm torn between them and the Indians, as I feel they should win the world series considering they haven't since 1949. As long as the d-bags (oops! d-backs) and rockies dont win it, I'll be happy. Neither of those franchises deserve it like the AL teams do.