MLB playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Okay there is still a week left, but my Angels clinched yesterday :banana: :banana: :banana:

The American League has 4 excellent teams, it should be a great October.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Angels defeat the Mets in 7 games. You heard it here first!

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Magic number down to 5 for the Mets, so perhaps the ship has been righted in time after all. I certainly hope so, as I've got some playoff tickets to use if the boys are there!

4. SoCalJoe

Don, I'm liking your thinking, and I'll give you all the credit.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am biting my nails hoping the Phillies get the wild card. They always seem to be in this position come the last week of the season and they always end up on the outside looking in.

They are .5 games back of San Diego for the wild card. While there is still hope to catch the Mets (2.5 back) I doubt they will. After Milton Bradley's meltdown and ACL tear because of his screaming at the umps, which is quite a story in and of itself, perhaps the Padres are imploding at the wrong time.

The Phils have three with the Braves and three with the Nationals all of which are at home.

I will make playoff predictions after the regular season ends.

Go Phillies!

6. RDG

RDG Member

Aww, man! That's my worst-case scenario! :3d crying:

Having my Metsies get sooooo close to the brass ring and shelling out a chunk of change for the playoff tickets (which end up costing more than my Sunday home game plan, with worse seats, to boot!) Last year wasn't so bad, as I was able to avoid the World Series and catch a match at the Cottage rather than worry about the Cardinals or the Tigers (apologies to DaveNearDC!)

My best case would be having the Yankees in ther Series against the Mets, and selling my tix to some Yankee fan with more money than sense, whilst having the Mets win. Sadly, with my luck, that's not gonna happen!

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

The only thing I like about the MLB playoffs, is that it means the season is almost over. It's like basketball - too many games for any of them to matter much. The last month is the only one that seems to matter.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

sox over dbacks in 6.

yep, thats right.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

pssst ... Tom ... he means the REDsox! :twisted:

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ehh... I see 'Injuns'

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

how bout those Rockies? they're making a serious push for that wildcard. I hope they make it even though I'm not a huge baseball fan. they just haven't ever done anything that i can recall. go Rockies

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My Astros traded three key players to the Rockies in the pre-season for a pitcher who won 1 game and, during my only visit to Houston this summer, gave up 11 earned runs in the first inning to set a modern [since 1901] record for rotten pitching. Go Rockies, indeed!

13. SoCalJoe

I don't follow the National League all that much, but the free fall by the Mets is unbelievable, matched almost by Colorado's ridiculous hotstreak (go Rockies!!).

My Angels are racking up the injuries at the wrong time. Both Matthews and Vlad the Impelor are dinged (Matthews is doubtful for the first round).
    I was hoping to play the Yankees since the Angels are the only team to have a winning record vs the Yanks in the Joe Torre era (including 2 playoff knockouts). Instead we're headed to Boston and Fenway, where the Halos are the Red Sox' bbiiiaattcchh.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Phillies Phever!! Catch It!! Big weekend ahead for the Phils!! I have faith!

15. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Your 2007 World Series Champions:

The New York Yankees.

Get used to it, people!

16. SoCalJoe

Nick; If the Angels can get by Boston (which I doubt), Yankee fans be very afraid. Plus Cleveland's one-two punch of CC/Carmona could make it a Bosox/Indian series.

17. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I agree. For whatever reason the Yankees always have trouble beating the Angels. But I'm confident the Yanks can beat Cleveland, who feasted on their division rivals this year (46-23 against the AL Central; 48-42 against everyone else). They have exactly 0 proven playoff pitchers, a mediocre lineup and a legitimately shaky bullpen. Pride may come before the fall, but I like the Yanks in that series. And strange to say, I'll probably be rooting for the Sox against your Angels, Joe! :D

18. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Rockies and Padres are going into a one game playoff

Now that's Exciting!!!

Hate the Padres come on Rockies

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

How about those Phillies? Great September for them and needless to say, I am ecstatic about it! I drove 2.5 hours to my brother's place today to watch the game with him. Thanks for the Marlins for the thrashing of the Mets today and the Phillies win, the NL East champions are in Philly NOT New York!!!

Let's go Phillies!! Get some!!!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nick, you weren't one of those Yankee fans who wanted A-Rod's scalp last year, were you? Just checking.

My oldest sports religion just kicked in. What is that?

Q. What's the worst thing about a Yankee's-RedSox game?
    A. They both can't lose.

Go Angels!