MLB Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I may have posted this on the old website:

Late Oct/Early Nov of 07 I was in London for a week, that's when I caught my only match at the Cottage, a 3-2 Fulham victory over Reading where Dempsey scored the winning goal. Anyway---
    As one of those smug Red Sox fans (as Don put it :) ) I was afraid I might miss from game 3 on. Luckily I found it on TV and it was the internatiol feed which ESPN had the rights to. I was a little concerned when I turned on ganme 3, Jon Miller came on the screen I was afraid it would mean he was teamed up with Joe Morgan, thankfully he was not. Game 4 had Dave O'Brien, who also happens to be one half of the Red Sox radio team when he's not calling games for ESPN, and Rick Sutcliff. Needless to say it was a pleasure watching those games not having to listen to Buck and McCarver

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Is there any Red Sox fan out there that likes the McCarver/Buck dynamic duo? I don't no how many time I wanted to drive to St. Louis during the '04 Series and strangle the pair...especially Buck. How many times did he have to mention "the curse of the Bambino?" Well, it was way too many times for this smug Sox fan! :evil:

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Brewers ran their mouths before this series and after the last regular season game. Nyjer Morgan and his alter-ego, interview stealing 'Tony Plush' referred to Albert Pujols as Alberta. Tony, don't you know you don't tug on Superman's cape?? Pujols looks like he is on a mission. Series is tied going back to St. Louis, and Cards have that look.

Texas wins it on a walk-off Grand Slam, and it's bad news if Nelson Cruz gets it going (he can carry a team). Detroit will need to shrug it off quickly since the rainout means there is no off day. The Tiger fans will need to lift the team or this will be a short series.

4. bosniaba

bosniaba New Member

What does it mean above 500 or below they use this in NFL and MLB on tv it is .500 so why not say .5 is that 50% why not say 50% than i don't get what it means I think it means half but i don't know so I don't know where else to ask so i will ask on here

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What can I say...we Americans love to make something simple seem more complicated than it is. But, yes, when team is at the .500 mark that means they have won half their games...or lost half their games--depending on whether you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person. ;)

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Somehow saying someone is a three-tenths hitter just doesn't have the same ring as a .300 hitter.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Agree with the former, not so much the latter.

Us Cardinal fans have also been accused of being smug, but I respectfully disagree. Too much Midwestern humility to allow too much bragadoccio.

Since Buck and McCarver have strong Cardinal ties, it's hard for me to be subjective about them. Joe's pretty good, I like his ability to relate more current popular culture items to incidents in the game.

Tim's another matter. My conundrum is the amount of time that has elapsed since he played. I'm not sure he "gets" the new culture of tactics and player mentality anymore. Still better than many of the alternatives available to Fox.

Which begs the question....who's you're favorite TELEVISION baseball play-by-play announcer and color analyst these days?
    Not sure if I even have any, since ESPN canned Jon Miller. Wasn't that crazy about Joe Morgan, but they worked well together for a long run.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My favorite "color" guy is Jim Deshaies. He works the Astros broadcasts and has been known to do the occasional Fox slot. He's funny and insightful, and he doesn't think his viewers are idiots.

About his humor, my favorite comment was about 4 seasons back when the Astros were playing the D-Backs. Craig Counsell took a called strike that even Stevie Wonder could see was outside and began yakking hard at the home plae umpire. Deshais said, "Counsell is requesting a side-bar." Love it; love it.

The most coherent and knowledgable voice in baseball is STILL Vin Scully. I can't believe that the Dodgers hierarchy sent emails to season-ticket holders asking whether they though he was past it. I'm betting there are 2500 times as many Dodger fans who support Scully than anybody in LA's front office.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

When I lived in L.A., even though I'm a Giants fan, I enjoyed listening to Scully's broadcasts - you knew you were hearing a legend...and I always developed a craving for a Farmer John hotdog...

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sorry Dave, but it looks like it might be the Rangers taking the Series after winning in extra. That hurts the most, not sure if they be able to comeback...but I hope they do. I am definitely rooting for the Tigers over Texas!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

true then; true now

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Are you sure? :cool:

Not much of National League follower so I am not sure what to make of the Brewer's win last night...but they got it done on the road.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, hubris done bit me in the butt big time. I still like Rangers v. Cards in the World Series, though.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Never pay attention to anything Dan Shaughnessy writes, Mo. He's a hack, that always goes negative. I don't know why he's held his job for as long as he has...maybe cause the people of Boston love dirt which may have "some" truth but has been stretched way out of proportion to be taken seriously.

16. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Just like last year, Texas has been fun to watch in the postseason. Nelson Cruz is making an early case for being the next Mr October with 10 homers in 24 postseason games, winning games 3 & 4 for the Rangers.

Boston media has a long tradition of burning people on their way out of town. If they did it to Bobby Orr, they'll do it to anyone. That approach seems to play well with the Northeast (Phi, NY, Bos) sports fan.

Regardless, I couldn't be happier. In the past decade, the Sox and their fans have become the very thing they've spent a lifetime vilifying...the Yankees. Some would argue their fans are actually worse.

17. SoCalJoe

Texas rolls up the hits to finish off Detroit. Nelson Cruz w/6 home runs in the series. This could have swung either way with the two 11 inning games, Cruz's stats in his 11th inning at bats; 2 for 2, 2 HRs, 7 RBI.

St. Louis looking for one more win, but Milwuakee has been great at home.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There have been several years where the Rangers had the bats -- Pudge, Juan Gone, and the Steroid at first base sprint to mind, but I can NEVER remember them having such a quality bunch of pitchers. They may not win it all this season, but they've defeated the in-form Rays and then the best-in-the-American-League Tigers. They SHOULD win it all regardless of who they play.

19. SoCalJoe

Re: MLB Playoffs - World Series

Ridiculous to think St. Louis has the homefield due to the National League win in the all-star game (Bud Selig is a genius :roll: ).

Texas has had a few extra days off and this might cool off their bats a little bit. The Cards bullpen has been key in winning the pennant and must be again if they are going to claim their 11th title. I'll still take the Rangers in 6.

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm still amazed this Cardinal team is still playing. Wouldn't bet against Don Tony at this point. St. Louis in 7 for number 11.