MLB Playoff races

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 14, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wow... Who installed PARITY in baseball?

Discuss

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not sure what the answer to that question is, but it was nice to see the White Sox sweep the Tigers this weekend. We might have a race in that division after all.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Parity is Latin for mediocraty. More than half the teams in the NL WC race have losing records. Ugh.

4. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

RE: Re: MLB Playoff races

I don't think parity's a bad thing at all. I get sick of the dynasties in sports--Yankees? Now THAT's a team that makes me say "ugh." Chelsea, anybody? I mean, isn't it great to see a different team win the championship every year? The fact that teams with losing records are competing for the Wild Card says more about the innate flaw in the baseball season (162 games? Come on... that's about 50-60 too many) than it does about the quality of competition. And when was the last time that a team with a losing record went to the baseball playoffs? "In the end, the universe tends to work out as it should."*

*One of the wisest and most sage things I've ever heard... from one of the silliest (albeit profanely funny) movies I've ever seen: Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Exactly. I still don't get this love affair with making things equal or a level playing field in terms of money. I wish it would die, what are we teaching to kids in this country? Ugh...schools are eliminating dodgeball from gym class or not keeping scores in little league or soccer, so everyone feels better about themselves (a false sense of esteem in my opinion). When I was kid I was always told life isn't fair, there is always going to be someone who is bigger, better, and with more money than you, get used to it or work your ass off.

The only people who benifit from the sports' parity system are owners. Athletes don't get paid their fair market value, even though they're the ones putting butts in the seats and only have x amount years to get paid doing it, so owners just pocket that extra dough. Yeah, the salaries can be outragous, but it's the what the market created. Don't like it, don't spend your money on it.

My angry rant for the day on one of my favorite topics of late. :twisted: :banana:

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: MLB Playoff races

The season is not too long. While you may think it is too long, what will shortening the season do? I am a bit miffed at the points trying to be made here regarding the baseball schedule and winning/losing teams. Quite frankly, I am lost.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: RE: MLB Playoff races

I didn't think it was so nice! :cry:

Now the Tigers play the Red Sox. Hopefully my wife (the Red Sox fan) and I will still be speakingon Thursday... :?:

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: MLB Playoff races

Good luck...but I hope your wife enjoys the next three days. :wink:

9. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

RE: Re: RE: MLB Playoff races

I don't think I made myself clear. My point is this: what can be accomplished, season-wise, in 162 games that can't be accomplished in 100 or 110 games? I know that, for one, that would make the races more exciting--less time to make up whatever deficit you have. Plus, I think that with fewer games to play, the players would be more likely to compete a little harder, thereby losing fewer games; you're telling me that every player gives it his all in a three-game series? It seems like they take an attitude of "well, we lost that one but we can win the next two." It just seems like they'd run out a few more grounders (and who wouldn't like to see more effort and competition) in order to manage a more solid winning record.
    That probably didn't make sense. I just want a shorter baseball season so that, by September, I actually still care about the sport. Oh, well...
    :banana:
    (I also just wanted to put a dancing banana in there)

10. BC

BC New Member

I agree, I think 160 games is too many. It really makes each game feel somewhat meaningless. In contrast, American football and soccer have fewer matches/games and so each feels important to the season's outcome. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball. But I just can't watch that many games; I really only start watching around playoff time (plus the Cardinals aren't on here in Indy that much).

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't have a problem with 160 games. I have a problem with the playoff system. The thing I always liked about baseball as opposed to gridiron football and the NBA is that you had to win something in order to go to the post season. Even when we expanded to two divisions per league [1969?], you still had to win.

The wild card may be great for attendance [read money], but it further dilutes the value of winning the league. League champions are those who can manage a 162 game season based not only on their 25 man roster, but also on their upper minor leagues. It's a slog, not a dash. The wild card allows for a mediocre team to have a hot streak in the 2nd half and skip past better teams into the World Series. It happened last year to my beloved Astros and I had serious mixed emotions about it. Baseball may be a series of short series, but it's really a 162 game marathon. To decide who "the best" is based on a best of 5 or best of 7 series, is like taking the top 8 marathon runners in the olympics and having them decide who gets the gold medal based on their running of the 100 meter dash.

That's why I love the EPL and FA Cup duality in England -- and why I'd like to see the Open Cup gain the same importance here. Each trophy rewards different areas of accomplishment. That's why there had only been one double winner in English fitba until the 1970s.

Boy; it's been a long rant-free day for me!

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: MLB Playoff races

$$$$$$$$$$$

13. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

i think it should be left alone, 162 games is brilliant, more chance to weed out the weakly and kick in there doors, plus for this brit, i get to watch more wednesday and sunday games ( last night offering was dodgers vs giants, great pitching duel between maddux and schmidt, though why maddux didnt get the win is beyond me)

come you BO SOX :twisted:

14. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Yeah, you're right... I still get bored out of my skull by baseball by the end of August... or the beginning of August, which is in stark contrast to the way I feel in April and May. I still think the season's too long. I'll pay attention come playoff time... if my beloved Astros are still in it, that is.

So who do you think it's gonna be this year in the playoffs? My predictions:

NL East: NY Mets
    NL Central: St. Louis Cardinals
    NL West: San Diego Padres
    NL Wildcard: LA Dodgers or Cincinatti Reds

AL East: NY Yankees (ugh!)
    AL Central: Chicago White Sox
    AL West: LA Angels (of Anaheim? What a stupid stupid name)
    AL Wild Card: Detroit Tigers (by the skin of their teeth)

NLCS: NY Mets over St. Louis Cardinals
    ALCS: Chicago White Sox over LA Angels of Anaheim (seriously! What a bad name)

World Series: White Sox actually manage to repeat in 6 over NY Mets.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That works perfectly fine for me Tony! I hope the White Sox do not have a let down against the Royals this week.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think the White Sox will get the AL WC. In the NL, there'll be 4 teams in it until the last 3 days. Then the Italian courts will name AC Milan as the NL champion! :rock:

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

whoa...cool jersey, Don. Unfortunately, you might not want to show it off in such a spectacular fashion. :tongue:

18. BC

BC New Member

I think those are valid predictions Tony. I wouldn't mind seeing the White Sox win altough I am a Cardinals fan. I just don't think the Redbirds are strong enough to make it far in the post season; they are first place in a weak division.

19. rumstove

rumstove New Member

This White Sox talk is rubbish. We all know the Twins will take the AL WC...might even catch the Tiggers and take the Central. :D

Sadly I don't think the Brewers have a chance. :(

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yep, you've got issues with this topic.