MLB 2017

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Apr 6, 2017.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Edwin Encarnacion ankle injury trying to get back to 2nd base might tip the scales to Houston in the AL.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Tried to tune in for the stretch run of game 5. I can’t do it. I’ve seen 5 pitchers in 1 inning! And more meetings at the mound than I care to count. What an overmanaged shitshow (13 pitchers through 7 innings, I see). I hope this goes deep into extras and these two dopes can hang their fates on outfield players pitching for the win.

Sorry for those of you with a team in this mess. It must be torture.

encorespanish likes this.
  3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ugh...what a shitty sports week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Madden is Maddening

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

As a Giants' supporter - I have a soft spot (hardened a couple of times - 2002, eh, SCJ) for Dusty Baker. I went to his summer baseball camp in Sacto during my teens and have talked baseball with him many times at those camps. I hoped the Nats could pull it off - my son and I watched the last three innings and I didn't even realize it was 10pm PST (great parenting). My boy was tired this morning - he sounded like Baker in the post game press conference, which was quite morose. I feel for the Nats (and you, DCH) and we both held out hope that Harper could be a hero, but damn those breaking balls in the dirt!!!

Cubs v. Dodgers - again. This is a 50-50 for me.
    Yankees v. Astros. Astros are clearly better, but so was Cleveland. Astros in 6 (or Yankees in 5).

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

This is looking like Houston's year. Finally. And I hope the Cardinals steal Jeff Luhnow back from them in the off season. And I'll never get used to them being in the AL.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Try being a fan of their's since their first game in 1962!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Dear Houston Astros,

Please beat the the Yankees. You're my only hope.

Love,
    A Red Sox fan married to a Yankee fan

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know ifI'm so confident. Judge only struck out once in game 1. After doing so 16 times against Cleveland, this is a stunning development.

11. SoCalJoe

Nev, I too have a soft spot for Dusty. In my mind he is a HOF manager, but won't get the credit he deserves unless he reverses 'The Curse of the Dusty Baker Postseason Meltdowns'. The baseball Gods imposed the curse the moment he handed Giants pitcher Russ Ortiz the game ball in Game 6 of the 02' WS up 5-0 in the bottom of the 7th..the rest is history. He was also the skipper w/the Cubs (Bartman. DOH), a memorable playoff collaspe while in Cincy (the Reds sucked before he showed and have sucked the moment he left), and this one (Wieters is a great catcher so the pass ball on the strikeout was a shock, then the backup catcher gets picked off 1st base in the 8th?)

@dcheather, that was a tough one to take. As a Nats fan, what is the vibe, is Dusty going to get another chance?

From a baseball standpoint the Nats were the one NL team that could've challenged the Dodgers. The Cubs bullpen is a disaster.

In the AL; It must be close to Halloween because the scary Justin Verlander is baaaaccckkkk. What an absolute gem he threw yesterday.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

There seems to be a lot of "what does it matter on who manages another choke?" And then there's the he's 0-10 in deciding games, he's old school, so he's not going to be the one to get us over the hump. Everyone seems to be taking this loss a little bit harder this time around, afraid of not being able to get it done with Harper on the brink of leaving there's a lot of fatalism in the fandom.

The articles I've read is that Dusty is liked by the players, but will that be enough? Not so sure.

SoCalJoe, encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd rather have Dusty than either Madden or Roberts. I hate change for the sake of change -- or so the manager can get on television. Last night is a perfect example. LA is up 5-2 in the 8th, there's two outs and nobody on base, but Roberts HAS to have his closer get a four out save. It worked, but it slowed down the game and gave Roberts more TV time.

I can't wait to see the Astros take apart either of those teams -- hopefully in four.

nevzter likes this.
  14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bottom of the ninth; two outs; score 1-1 with a man on. Naturally, Madden takes charge. And then ... "Lackey now pitching. Taylor walked on a full count. Turner homered to center on a 1-0 count, Puig scored, Taylor scored.
    Runs: 3, Hits: 1" Game over

Madden's micromanaging works like a charm!

nevzter likes this.
  15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

We watched the end of that Cubs/Dodgers game - it was classic baseball drama. The Cubs' mistakes were paid for in full. The Dodgers...whew.

16. jumpkutz

Is it wrong to gloat over the fact that John Lackey sucked?

17. SoCalJoe

Lackey sucked, but why is a 38 year starter pitching out of the bullpen on consecutives nights for the first time in his career and it's the 9th inning of Game 2 of the NL Championship Series?

Now it's smooth sailing for the Dodgers (No lie, I hate them more than I hate the Yankees), and suddenly the Astros are tied. Save us Obi Wan Altuve, you're our only hope!

18. jumpkutz

Because Joe Maddon's not as smart as everybody thinks he is?

19. SoCalJoe

That and Maddon's bullpen is a gas can trying put out a fire and he thought Lackey was his best chance to get to Davis in the 10th.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The sleeping midget has awakened! On to game 7