MLB 2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Red Sox on life support down 5-1 (and 0-1 in the series) in the 8th and Big Poppy hits a grand slam to tie it, then they win it in the 9th. Detroit can't get home fast enough, can they recover?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

god, I hope so. I hate the RedSox and their smug fans as much as I hate the Yankees and their smug fans.

3. SoCalJoe

Totally agree with that sentiment HD, but there is a certain Senator who might take umbrage :shock:

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yup, more stereotypes to deal with. :)

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, you noticed how I offended not only the Senator but also The Godfather.

I love it out here on the thin ice. :confusion-helpsos:

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Some great games the past couple of days - actually watched the last 7 innings of the first Cards/Dodgers game. Love the playoffs, but...

I have a problem. I respect Leyland as a manager, but for some reason, I can't root for the Tigers...and it's nonsensical for a baseball guy like me. They play ball the right way, hard-nosed, respectful and I used to love seeing him blow back a cig in the tunnel during a game. Before the Giants beat (err, swept) them last year, and after everybody and their grandma picked the Tigers to win the Series, I developed a sincere, yet arbitrary, dislike of the Tigers; and it persists. Still, I loved the movie "Tiger Town" growing up, Whitaker, Gibson, Trammell, Morris, Fielder were all favorites of mine and I can't explain how I hope for the Sox to beat them. I need baseball therapy.*

And for the NL, as a Giants supporter, I'd just as soon see the Cards and Dodgers both lose. But, that's normal.

* my sister, mom and dad are all Yankee fans

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The only thing that doesnt make sense here, is how anyone could be a Yankee fan

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the 60s, the saying went, "Rooting for The Yankees is like rooting for US Steel." I guess now it would be "like rooting for Microsoft."

9. nevzter

The Dodgers have it all to do tonight and Wacha v. Kershaw has playoff classic written all over it.

The Red Sox slink back to Fenway with a 3-2 lead, but with Scherzer v. Buchholz, I like the Tigers' chances to force a game 7.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dodgers out with barely a whimper, never mind with a bang. Media darling Puig went ofer and committed two outfield errors.

I always have mixed emotions about the Cards. Back when I was a little kid, my baseball dreams all revolved around playing centerfield for them. My baseball idol -- Stan Musial -- played for them. ON the other hand, during those years that I had a national league team in Houston, the Cards and the Reds were usually the teams that most got in the way of the Astros post-season success.

I'm hoping for The Tigers to make it to the dance. I like the baseball played by both teams, and I hate it when Boston wins anything.

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I don't really believe in karma or superstition, but we owe the Red Sox for '04. Detroit, on the other hand, owes us for '06. Our World Series history indicates that repeat opponents in the Fall Classic suggest a back and forth pattern. Therefore, it's our turn to beat Boston, but the Tigers turn to beat us. If you believe in that sort of thing. Which I don't. Sort of. Except that it fits the history. Oh well. I'll watch tonight with a dispassionate view. I think.

I DO think both AL teams are better than the Cardinals on paper. As we all know, however, athletic events are not contested on paper, which is why we love them so. And that has never mattered when St. Louis is involved.

We're spoiled.

COME ON YOU REDBIRDS!

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So the classy Tigers stay home and the bearded g-i-t-s go to the dance.

Come on you Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Woohoo. :lol:

14. jumpkutz

Two 97-65 teams. Should be an interesting Series. The good news for Cardinal Nation is the fact that Adam Wainwright is available to start Game 1, and the rotation can be set up to something resembling ideal. Michael Wacha can go in Game 2, and both would be available for Games 5 and 6, if needed. Oh, and the best hitter with RISP on the best hitting team with RISP, Alan Craig, is back from the DL.

The stars are aligning, now it's a matter of execution and a little baseball luck.

In past years, I happened to be off for the kids' fall break about now, but one is done, the other in college, so my chances of attending one of the contests at Busch are slim. BUT, weather permitting, they're all scheduled for weekends, so......we shall see. Crossed a major item off my bucket list in 2006 by attending a Series game in St. Louis, which turned out to be the clincher, so I'm not too disappointed that this year seems likely to be a shutout. Stranger things have happened, however....stay tuned.

COYR! (and COYW!)

15. SoCalJoe

Never want to use one game and draw a conclusion to a whole series, but the Cards better get it together tonight. An inning ending double play botched and boom Napoli clears the bases (Angels have never been same since trading him).

16. jumpkutz

One all heading back to 700 Clark St. I must say it very easily could have been 2-0 to the Bosox, but some clutch at bats and a gutsy call for a double steal by a second year manager saved the day. And it really helps to catch the baseball when it's hit or thrown within reach of you.
    The back end of the Cardinal rotation has not exactly distinguished itself during the post season. Although Lance Lynn's record is good, he's not exactly been the shut down pitcher he's sometimes capable of being. Joe Kelly had a good start as a fill in starter, but now he seems to have one or two bad innings that puts the team behind the 8-ball. And this edition of the Cardinals has not displayed a propensity for coming back from ridiculous deficits, unlike the 2011 squad. Bottom line, it's still anybody's series, and one hot player can be the difference. Right now, that's Big Papi. And that gives me considerable pause. But I'm still optimistic that St. Louis can pull it off. The reason? These fearless kids coming out of the bullpen and lighting up the radar gun....IN THE STRIKE ZONE! If they can keep it up without blinking, I think we'll earn our 12th World Series.
    And Beltran not being seriously hurt on the catch in Game One is HUGE. I look for him to break out in the remaining games offensively. He's been too good for too long in the post season. But I still think we're gonna have to go back to Fenway to do it. Seven games...again.

17. nevzter

7th inning and those Red Birds are looking good, jumpkutz. I agree, this will probably go 7. Great baseball clubs - not that I like either...but that's neither here nor there at this point

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Two ill-advised throws to third and two losses. Yeah, don't think Middlebrooks should be called for obstruction for a play like that and the rules need to be changed, because there was nothing he could do to get out of the way and he wasn't in the base path. Craig was just as much at fault for tripping over as he wasn't looking at where he was running with his head turned the other way and was off balanced to begin with. But the play shouldn't have happened to begin with, stop throwing to 3rd when there is no chance of throwing the runner out. Basics here.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

for a neutral, it's a clear call. 3rd base ump had no hesitation and the home plate ump had no hesitation. Not that Red Sox nation will ever agree, but it was very much the right call.

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Neutral, huh. From your Facebook comments and previous comments on this board, I think you have a strong dislike the Red Sox and its fans...and that's your right. Was the call correct to the letter? Yes. However, I think it's a shame that is the way the game ended when he's tripping over his own feet just as much as Middlebrooks'. In fact, that's why his hands are placed on Middlebrooks' back as he turns to run to home, they would have touched the ground if Middlebrooks isn't there...and then with a bad foot would he still have stumbled? I kinda think so, because from the replays...I'm not 100% certain there's contact with anybody's feet except Craig's hands touching Middlebrooks' back to balance himself. Watch it again, it kinda looks like his trailing leg bumps Middlebrooks' behind, but in slowmo I'm not certain it actually does. So it comes down to a guy not being able to do the impossible after trying to field the ball? Shame. But like I said previously, shouldn't have happened anyway and they should pay the price for stupid mistake like that.