MLB 2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Mar 5, 2013.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This has been weird season for me. Since 1962, live was ordered for me. That's the year I ditched the Giants for my brand new Houston Colt 45s. This gave me a new National League team to go with my Baltimore Orioles in the AL. With the movement of the Astros to the AL, I've sort of rejoined the Giants, but the truth is that the only box score I check religiously is the one in which the Oakland A's are playing. I've never been a fan of any of the iterations of the A's over the years, but there is a real reason for me to keep track of them. The ONLY major league ballplayer I am interested in following this season is a rookie 1B/DH named Nate Freiman. Why am I interested in him? Because he was the best player on the SA Missions last season and I'm glad to see that he's playing a lot.

As for the rest of the major leagues, the current commissioner has managed over the last 20 years or so to destroy pretty much everything I cared about in MLB. I still love the game, but I'd rather listen to the SA missions on AM radio then watch a MLB game in person. Thanks, Bud Selig. And thanks for minor-league baseball. I have another 9-inning vacation scheduled for Tuesday.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

When the calendar turns to September, so do the number of eyeballs scoreboard watching. Don't know if my Redbirds will make it or not, but who'd of thunk that Joe Kelly would emerge as our stopper? The Pirates are not gonna fade this season, so that division will be quite interesting. One thing's for sure, no matter who gets in and who doesn't, the new one game playoff will be interesting. Then it becomes who gets hot in October. Don't expect the Redlegs to go away, either, but of the three contenders, they're the most likely to. Biggest disappointments? The Nats, who looked so good last season, and the defending champs. And it doesn't look like I'll get my wish of a Cardinals-Angels or Cardinals-Yankees World Series anytime soon. September baseball is always interesting, though. Will it lead to another Red(bird) October? Stay tuned....

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4. jumpkutz

I usually wait until we've been eliminated before purchasing items such as this, or just ask Santa at Christmas when we win the WS. Magic # is ONE to win the division. Again.

[​IMG]

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Booo! Baseball season is over for me since the O's are out of it. Last year, they went 29-9 in one run games. This year 17-31. Death by bullpen.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the game too slow and arduous to watch anymore unless I have a rooting interest. Good luck to your teams unless you root for the Pirates. I still hold a grudge against them from the 70's.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The baseball season ended for me when the San Antonio Missions won the Texas League pennant a couple of weeks back.

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I root for the Astros. I'm not sure this season ever started. They're still losing from three years ago.

They're building for the future... so watch out in 2020!

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Go TRIBE!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

they're having the best September I've seen in a very long time.

10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Don, growing up in Jackson, MS, i was a big follower of the Texas League. We had the Mets and as a kid, I was able to see Hernandez, Strawberry, Mookie Wilson and many others come through Jackson. I even went to the the Missions/Mets game when Fernando was doing a stint with the Missions. Later, when Houston took over the team and became the generals, Jeff Bagwell came through. At the time my brother was the dugout attendant for the Generals and we would cater fried catfish for the teams. I got to meet Bagwell when he was in Jackson and still to this day is probably one of the top 3 "famous" people I've ever met. He talked to me for 20 minutes while the game was wrapping up when he could have just been sitting at his locker.

11. jumpkutz

Pirates and Rays continue. Reds and Rangers do not.
    Next up: Rays and Tribe in sudden death.
    Then it's lingering death for a half a week plus.
    I love baseball.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Cleveland fans were up for it last night, but when the Indians had the Tampa starter on the ropes they couldn't get the big hit (the bases loaded double play was a killer).

No payroll, no home support, but w/a svengali manager describes the Rays. In a 4 day span the Rays had to win a game in Toronto to stay alive, fly to Texas and win a play-in game with the Rangers, then fly to Cleveland and win another elimination game.

This round should be best 4 out of 7, but first team to win 3 games moves on;

AL: Coin flip between Oakland and Detroit, but Cabrera is not anywhere near 100% so will take Moneyball.

Tampa now gets Boston, where these teams have a heated rivalry over recent years. The magic carpet ride ends for the Rays, Red Sox in 4.

NL: If I had a dollar for every verbal poke in the ribs I've gotten in the last few months from all the Dodger acquaintances I know the better half and I could have a nice dinner at Ruth's Chris. I would like nothing better than Atlanta beating the Dodgers, but it's the postseason and the Braves always gag.

On the opposite spectrum of the Braves are the Cardinals. I'll take them to beat the Pirates, but it might be tougher than expected.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

:crying-blue:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, after that Herculean charge down the stretch is does seem cruel to lose out. It reminded me of Larry Bird beating somebody at the NBA 3-point derby at the All Star break. They guy could have stayed alive by hitting the last 5 or 6, but wound up missing the last one. Bird said, "Wow, you missed the only shot that mattered."

15. jumpkutz

Do or die day for the Redbirds...again. Seems to be a fact of life for recent post seasons for this franchise. Don't know what's gonna happen this afternoon, but I like our chances against Charlie Morton. Michael Wacha is only 22, but he's thrown the ball exceptionally well since becoming a late season starter. Don't think he'll flinch today, he came within an out of tossing a no-no a couple of starts ago. Still, he is only 22, so the pressure could, conceivably, get to him. Or the Pirates may have made the adjustments to counter his effectiveness. He has enough of a track record now. We'll see how good their scouts are, I guess. This much I know, based on recent trends...the Cardinals won't go down without a fight. They'll be wailing away until the last strike, no matter what the score is. If they pull it off, I like their chances back in St. Louis with the Wainright/Burnett rematch. If not, well, hats off to the Buccos. They're a hell of a team with few weaknesses. Buckle Up! Baseball overdose today!

16. SoCalJoe

NL:
    I'm in Dodger Hell, Uribe in the 8th and down a run misses two straight attempts to bunt Puig to third, fouls them off, has to swing away and BOOM 2 run shot to win the series. They have that team of destiny feel.

Cards can play with LA, but big problem is Wainwright has to go in Game 5 v Pittsburgh, which puts him unable to start until later in the next series if they win.

AL:
    If you want to see a nut, the closer for Oakland is certifiable (ironic his name is Balfour). Dude is hated by all opponents and got under Detroit's skin yesterday.

Rays stay alive. but expect the Sox to finish them off.

17. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Michael Wacha is a fellow Aggie. Glad to see him having a breakout season and that he stood tall in the face of playoff elimination pressure.

18. SoCalJoe

I don't watch the NL at all in the regular season, but Wacha looks like the real deal. Two one hitters in a row ain't too shabby. If they progress he and Wainwright will need to keep it going, with Kershaw and Greinke heading up the Dodger staff.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Sorry to see the Pirates magic run out, but hope the A's can pull it out tonight against Verlander.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

agree and agree -- although the As have stopped playing their rookie who was a SA Mission last year.