MLB 2013

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Another season is about to start and can't say I am that excited about it due to my Sox being so mediocre last year. I will pretend Valentine's reign never happened. And will be hoping the team rebounds to at least a halfway decent season. Anybody excited for the new season to begin? Predictions?

2. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I am excited for this season. This is the first time in awhile that the Mariners have a good team. They also have some of the best young pitchers. We probably aren't winning anything this year, but I think we get over .500 and could win something next year. Looking forward to the future of the Mariners. Sucks to be from Houston. That team is stepping into the best division in baseball.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm excited, too. The Cardinals will be interesting to watch. Seems like either Carpenter or Wainright is hurt every other year, yet, somehow, we manage to make the post season.
    Probably won't make my annual pilgrimmage to Busch this year, however. Getting too expensive. Going to try to catch them in Cincinnati on the weekends they're there. Speaking of the Reds, they're better than they were last year, and so is the rest of the Central. Should be an interesting season.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Since Houton's new owner decided to erase the club's heritage and give Seattle a break from ALW last place, I have gone back to the Giants as my "National League team." They were until 1962, after all. The Orioles will continue to be my AL team. I guess there's just something about Orange and Black.

The BIG news is that Oriole legend Rich Dauer is the new manager of my REAL team, the San Antonio Missions. We have partial season-tickets and will be in the house for our opening day on April 4. COME ON YOU MISSIONS!

5. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

As a Princeton grad, I'm in complete agreement about orange and black. :)

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure why the Halos started the season in the NL at Cincinnati, but nothing wrong with the result 3-1 in extras.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

With the Astros moving from the NL Central to the AL West, there are now 15 teams in each league. With everyone playing at the same time, that leaves one AL and one NL team without a partner, so they are now doing interleague all the time rather than designated weeks like in prior seasons.

8. jumpkutz

Not a good start by the Redbirds but, as they say, there's 161 games left to improve. Waino imploded in the 4th, unusual for him, but I've never been comfortable with a curveball pitcher as your ace. Guess we'll see. For the first time in forever, I've no plans to make my annual pilgrimage to 700 Clark St. May try to catch them at GAPB since it's closer to the house, but the prices have just become prohibitive. May take a year off and see how I feel in '14....unless we make the Series again, then all bets are off. Glad it's finally warming up (here, anway) to something resembling baseball weather. Play Ball!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, they'll also be doing the designated weeks, but they won't be the only times that the ignorance that is interleague play impacts on the integrity of the game. Bud Selig has just about ruined baseball at the major league level. I'm just glad I have my Double AA San Antonio Missions to watch. There's nothing wrong with the game, after all, just a butt-load wrong with MLB -- most of it occuring after Bud Selig was put in charge.

grumble grumble growl growl.

10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

The Disastros are going to be dire. After coming within 1 out of falling victim to a perfect game, they have struck out 43 times in 3 games. With 81 available outs, that's over 50% by k. Pitchers will feast on the Stros lack of discipline, but that's the nature of fielding a predominately AAA team. I love the return of the old school logo and colors, but the move to the AL has put me off of Houston. I always liked them b/c they were local and gave me a NL rooting interest. I already have a team in the AL, my childhood favorite Orioles. I was also a season ticket holder for 5 years for the Mariners, so I keep an eye on them as well. I really don't have room for another AL team.

The O's are off to a good start. It'll be interesting to see if they can make another run like last year. Toronto beefed up, but NY and Boston appear to be in decline so there's hope. Buck seems to really like the team & I'm really impressed with him as a manager, so I'm optimistic.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The Houston Astros posted a photograph of their opening day crowd with the caption: Where were YOU sitting on opening day. About 5 or 6 people had said what row they were in before I commented, "I was sitting in my living room wondering which idiot decided to move the team out of the National League after 50 seasons." They opened a series at home to the Athletics Friday night and drew about 15,000 people.

I'm with Matt. The Orioles have always been my American League team. I've been an Astros fan since their first game in 1962. Prior to that, I followed the New York/San Francisco Giants, so I'm sort of paying attention to the Orioles and the Giants. My REAL baseball loyalty is to the San Antonio Missions, who opened their Texas League season Thursday night with The Memsahib and myself in attendance. We won 7-1, there was a good crowd and cool weather, and Henry the Puffy Taco got tackled by a kid on the 3rd base line. And the tickets were $11 bucks each with $5 for parking. It was, to coin a phrase, "a nine-inning vacation."

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Keep us updated on the "Missions." That's what baseball is about, or used to be about, or better yet, should still be.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

14. jumpkutz

Yup, still scratching my head over that one. Just not right to see the 'Stros in the AL. Do like the return to their more traditional look. Gonna be interesting to see how they do attendance wise this season....not a good start.

My Cardinals have been up and down. Bullpen issues will do that to a team. Starting pitching has been mostly very good, hitting is hot and cold. Wish Houston was still in our division...

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Leave it to The Onion. :clap:

Not sure what's worse for a fan, throwing in the towel and rebuilding ala the Astros or paying 2 guys a combined 45 million who you could argue should be benched for lack of production. Albert Pujols foot problems are so bad he can only DH (poorly I might add), while Josh Hamilton has fielded great, but has forgotten how to hit for my Angels. Hang in there HD (and the kid :roll: ) have watched the Astros a few times this season, and while the youngsters are taking their lumps there is some good young talent (catcher, 2B, 3B, CF).

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

At least the Red Sox are better than last year...let's see if they can keep it together till the end.

18. jumpkutz

As we approach the ASG break, even the most pessimistic Cardinal's fan has to be happy about the first half. After leading the division a goodly chunk of the season, we've had a couple of hiccups of late, but still only a game behind the Pirates. The Pirates. Will they fold as usual, or have they turned the corner to contenders? Yadi just hurt his knee, but doesn't seem too serious at the moment. Time will tell, but he's clearly the one position player that we can't be without for any length of time. The biggest surprise has been the starting pitching and Ed Mujica's emergence as a legit closer. The rest of the bullpen, eh. Still think there are too many potential weaknesses for opposing teams to exploit, but I've thought that numerous times over the past decade plus, and we seem to come out alright at the end. Matheny's no La Russa, but maybe he doesn't have to be. I didn't think much of John Mozeliak being promoted when they cut Walt Jocketty loose, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. Unless something crazy happens, I expect to be jockeying for playoff tickets during online roulette come the fall. The only variable is injuries. Hopefully, we've already had our quota for the season, with two starters out.

19. jumpkutz

We just finished off a sweep of the once mighty Phils at home, and I've got to say that, although there is a full two months plus of baseball left, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see October baseball again in the shadow of the Gateway Arch.
    This team is, for whatever reasons, clicking on all cylinders. Even when bench players get starts, it seems they just get the job done. Holiday's been out with a hammy, but Alan Craig takes over in left and Matt Adams moves in at first and, bam, not a problem. Shane Robinson gives John Jay a breather in center and whack, triples home three. 10 year minor leaguer Brock Peterson gets called up and gets his first major league hit in a Cardinal uniform, driving in a run. The starting pitching has been stupid good, and if Chris Carpenter comes back, look out.
    Like I said, lots of baseball left, and the last, long road trip, an 11 gamer, is up next, but this bunch is overachieving beyond normal parameters.
    It could all start to unravel tomorrow, but somehow, I just don't think that's gonna happen. They're just like Tony's teams...PLAY A HARD NINE!
    And they do it the right way. A joy to watch. Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed them!

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Man, the wheels have come off the bus and been stolen by gypsies for the SF Giants. The Belt error last night (through the wickets and into rightfield to score 2 in the top of the ninth, thereby, losing 3-2) epitomizes this year. Oh, and so do the 5 measly hits in 9 innings. After the past three seasons of quality baseball (pitching, fielding, hitting - in that order), this campaign has seen some bad, fundamentally poor, defensive/pitching baseball and no hitting. 8 games out of first in the West, and 12 out of the wildcard spots. October baseball by the bay is looking unlikely this year (well, except for that club over in Oakland as they seem to be in damn fine shape).