Midseason Sack Race

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So we're past the halfway point this season, and with the race so tight and relegation so costly, who do you think will blink and sack their gaffer?

I think the early favorite is Southgate. Boro are playing terrible football and his transfers haven't panned out for the most part.

I don't like Kinnear's chances much either as the Toon seem right proud of their soap opera. Spurs are similar, but with a guy like 'Arry, I'll think they'll keep him around into next season.

Citeh and their newfound wealth have brought insane instant expectations, so Hughes will probably spend the remainder of his time there as a leading sack race candidate.

And then there's Scolari. Couldn't happen to a better lot than the scum, I only hope they have Newcastle success in their coaching carousel should they can him. Anyone think they might miss ol' Avram? Prolly not.

Ironically, I don't see any of the newboys giving their manager the axe. Maybe I'm naive though. And finally, will Arsenal ever tire of Wenger's way? Been a bit of a stretch with no silverware and now Villa are seriously threatening their Euro spot in the Champs Lg.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow, the choices are many and distinguished.

Scolari, no. He'll go in the offseason, especially if CSKA London don't win anything. The thing is, he's got the most class of anyone in the organization. They'd be doing him a favor if they fired him. Buyout clause? No whining Drogba? Terry? Anelka? Etc.? Etc.? Thank you Mr. Abramovich. Man, these margaritas are good.

Kinnear, gone in the offseason. Newcastle is not allowed to have stability or professionalism in their organization, so he'll lead the sack race for next year.Same for 'Arry, he'll get to stay for the year.

Southgate -- you'd think so, except that the Boro organization is unusually stable. I have to say, I respect that about them. I can't remember their chairman's name and am too lazy to look it up, but he seems to plot for the future. Even though, at times, they probably should have tossed Southgate. I say he stays until the end of the season.

Wenger, no -- he still has the Jedi mind trick working on the board there. No trophies again, though.

Stoke, Albion, Hull -- no to all 3. None of them are truly awful, and all 3 have to like their chances of staying up.

How about Tony Adams. Hmmmmmmm. I say probably not, but he is a good darkhorse pick.

O'neill, Big Sam, Megson, Moyes, Woy, Rafa, SAF, Sbragia, Zola, Steve Bruce -- don't think so.

That leaves Hughes. Too bad for him that the owners don't know anything about the game, or what a good manager he is. He'll be the first to go, and he'll end up OK. Kaka, stay away from this ship, you'll make oodles of money in your career. Stay away!

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Hmm I honestly don't see any managers going by the end of the season. In the summer, well, thats an entirely different matter.

If we do though, expect TONS in April in hopes of team's trying to fire up the players for the last handful of games. Considering hows its almost February and places 16-20 are tied...one win at the end could make the difference.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Notice how Sunderland and Newcastle both started losing as soon as their managers signed long-term deals? Neither looked like a long-term solution, but the team's improvement spurred the chairmen to keep them. Then, overnight, each team began to suck again. Amazing.

Harry doesn't get fired; Harry quits. Arsene Wenger is still the best in the business in ALL facets of the game. I know nobody likes him on this site but me, but if Arsenal's board sacks him, they are bloody idiots.

I agree with Steve about 'boro. It would be a shame for Southgate to get the can, but their two biggest money signings are seriously stinking up the joint. I'm figuring that Megson the Asshole, and Gareth the Great Guy will be the next to go.

Good thread, Ag.

5. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Wait a minute, I think Wenger is nearly best thing about the EPL, so there is two of us!

Dudes, Adams is sucking up the place in Portsmouth, he has to be in the mix though it would have to happen soon for it to happen at all this year. Hughes is on the thin ice I think as well. Two more losses and he may go as well.

I like the Boro model, much like the Arsenal model. I think Steve is right, Southgate will stay unless they lose 4 or 5 in a row and I don't think they will accomplish that feat this year.

So, for me it's Adams, Hughes, Southgate, maybe Kinnear, did you see this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7835322.stm

Hilarious! I would love to know what that geezer ( I use that affectionately) was saying to Kinnear.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Come on Don you knew this wasn't true when you typed it. After Roy I think Wenger is the best manager in the Prem.

I am sure there will be a few managers fired before the end of the season. They will be from whichever clubs are looking like the favorites for the drop. Someone's board will panic and the axe will fall.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Boro reminds me of us in Cookie's last season. I like the guy, and I think he has a lot of potential as a manager, but this might be a "he's taken us as far as he can" sort of situation.

Other than that, Tony Adams needs to start getting some results.

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

You also can count me in your camp there. I think Wenger is a terrific manager.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

all, I stand corrected. It must be the same small group of Arsene haters posting all the time that clouded me wee brain.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think Wenger is a terrific manager...for developing young talent.

I think that there are numerous top managers out there who exceed his capabilities in the areas of opponent preparation (i.e., SAF) and in-match management (i.e., Morinho).

Word is, when Wenger retires, he's going to be the director of player development for the French national program - that is the best role for him and one that will likely result in top 4 finish for France for decades to come.

But best manager in ALL facets of the game? Hardly.

Heck, in some aspects of the game, I rate Hughes, Moyes, and O'Neill higher than Wenger. Wenger couldn't have done half as well with the budget and talent that those three have had (considering only Hughes time at Blackburn, of course).

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

It's good to see that I have accomplished something then. Although hater is too strong a word.

Have another trophyless season, Arsene!