Microsoft Windows Vista - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Has anyone used the new Microsoft Windows Vista? What are your thoughts on it? Pros? Cons? Do you recommend it to others? Is it better than XP?

2. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

A friend of mine who works indirectly for MS told me it was shit. He compared it to windows ME which was a crappy bug laden wrapping around the windows 98 kernal. All vista is, is microsoft's way of doing there best apple impression.

that being said a few people at our company who are using it like it. it does look quite neet, but you really need a nice dual core processor and tons of RAM to get the best experience. i don't think its great for business yet, to much training involved but i think for a home pc it would probably be ok. right now i have 100+ pc's with the lovely windows update bug so who knows if I was using vista maybe I wouldn't have the bug. so maybe i am just bitter with microsoft.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If your computer is more than a year old, don't bother (you will most likely have to upgrade something). It's more graphic oriented, will take a little getting used to, and it is better than XP, but I don't think it's worth the money they're charging.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

What are the new features you can do on it that you could not on XP and other Microsoft programs?

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I can point you to wikipedia's entry on Vista:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

I hope it helps in answering your questions. All I can say is that it's just different than the previous versions. And I'll stand by my comment that it's just not worth the money. You should be able to get most of the what comes with Vista already. You can download IE 7 and Media Player 11 now, everything else is pretty much window dressing. Microsoft claims Vista is more secure than XP, they may be right. But I know a few people who say it crashes their system, which is probably due to them not having enough memory to run that hog.

I would just wait awhile before buying it. Probably when you get a new computer and it comes packaged on there.

6. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

vista has a differnet look and feel to it than xp, but if you use dreamweaver or word or excel on you xp pc now they will work and look the exact same way on a vista operating system. What vista add's is new way to switch between tasks, an attempt to improve user security, and feature like tha mac widgets I forget what microsoft is calling them. I am with DC heather get a copy when you get a new PC. otherwise I don't feel its worth it yet.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

At the LEAST, all but the most adventurous should have learned long ago NOT to adopt a new Windows release until service pack one {or the first SP after release} is incorporated.
    Vis W98 and 98SE
    The notoriously SUCKY 'ME'

and personally I hate XP, unless it's run in the classic skin/mode. So I guess time has finally passed me by but then why did I feel more at ease using my son's new MAC if that's the only reason.

Guess I'll stick with 2000 till I'm forced out.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I have to say that I thought XP was the best release Microsoft ever made. You could use it pre SP1, like Petty, the first thing I do is put it back into classic mode, but I don't like change.

I've got a couple of machines running Vista at work. We have no plans to introduce it at present. Having worked with it we feel that 4gb of memory on a solid dual core processor is the minimum spec require to run it. No anti-virus existed for the first 3 months either, although all the main brands now have vista flavours.

We also had to ease secuity restrictions on the machines so that they were usable. The two machines with Vista are also running virtual machines so that they can do their day job.

A lot of the changes are cosmetic and gimicky, having said that, I need a new machine for home and I will buy a Vista machine in the next couple of months. I am budgeting £1500 for it.

9. Nside

Nside New Member

Vista might be nice once budget PCs are able to run it without major slowdown.

I've played around with it at my local Best Buy, but It's obvious that affordable hardware just isn't up to the task of running it yet. The $800 PC I was messing around with had 1GB of RAM and a Dual-Core CPU, and still seemed to chug through Vista.... and that's before you take it home and load it with resource-robbing programs...

I Like XP... all the advantages of 2000 with some added tweaks that keep it up-to-date with current needs of the general public. Classic Mode is a must though. The default XP GUI is almost like AOL made an operating system.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well... it's been ten months and, from all I read and hear, Vista is the best advert, ever, for buying a store-shelf version of Linux.

Which I would do, if my main PC was a desktop... oh, wait. Maybe I will after all.