Mets fans, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Jun 17, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I know there are a few Mets fans on here, like to hear your opinions...

Going to the Big A tonight to watch the Angels play the Mets, and heard about Willie Randolph getting fired after last night's game (and announced at 3:15 AM et). Now I don't pretend to follow the National League, but this seemed extemely classless. Not because he didn't deserve to be let go necessariy, but why let a guy fly 3000 miles, win a game then axe him at midnight?? Obviously they were going to sack him no matter what.

After a baseball team totally falls apart like they did last year it usually takes a good half a season to get over the "hangover". Add that to a huge payroll that is loaded w/guys over the hill and/or hurt (Delgado, Alou, and Martinez combine for what? 50 mill?) and is hovering around .500, and the manager is bound to get fired.

2. RDG

RDG Member

I think you said it all with "classless". Fire Jeff Wilpon!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You know, I fervently believe that if the sports radio, the tabloid papers, and ESP friggin' N hadn't been going on about "Will he be fired? WHEN will he be fired?" since the second week of the season, Willie is still in charge.

Now, I'm no Met fan, and I'm certainly no Yankee fan, but I've been a fan of Willie Randolph since he first showed up at 2nd base at Yankee Stadium. He's always been a class act, and he's a smart cookie. It's a shame he didn't get a chance to see this season out. I hope the Mutts finish 19th and get relegated to the Florida State League.

Hey SCJ, HatterMom was at the Big A last night [do they still call it that?] and had a great time. I've seen several games there and always enjoy the park.

4. SoCalJoe

Don, sorry your better half had to watch the Angels lose :D

To answer your question it's officially called Angel Stadium. The Big A still stands in the parking lot (and the only area that still allows tailgating), and to the fans the park will always be The Big A.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Willie might be a class act but he's a terrible manager. He should've been canned eight months ago.

I have no idea why they chose to do so in California though.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A quick peek at the map tells me that California is as far from New York that the Mets could send Mr. Randolph without rescheduling a series for Japan. SoCal summed it up nicely when he said the move was classless. I wonder if they will book him a commercial flight home?

I also wonder where they will send Omar to when they decide the problem is with the personnel and not the coach.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

There are/were problems with both. It's a lot simpler to change managers than it is to spontaneously acquire a right side of the infield that's of major league caliber and isn't on the wrong side of the aging curve, though. You can only do one thing at a time.

The vindictive side of my personality hopes Willie had a long, uncomfortable ride home in coach as partial payback for the terrible job he did.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

As a Mariners supporter, I'd happily take their situation over ours.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I don't disagree that Willie neded to go but I think Willie's leaving will only expose that this is a poor team regardless of the guy at the helm. The Mets are to old, to injury prone and to inconsistent. I don't know who was in charge when Alou was penned to his deal but any Cubs fan could have told you to enjoy him when he plays but make sure you have another competent starter behind him for his stints on the DL.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In yet another display of class, Wilpon refused to take any ownership for the firing or the timing of it -- said both were solely Minaya's doing.

Must be fun working in THAT front office.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

And Omar corroborated that. Could it possibly be that it WAS Omar's decision?

13. SoCalJoe

I loved the GM's explanation that he couldn't wait another 48 hours because the NY media would find out before Willie did. Later in the press conference he said he was the only one with the knowledge of the firing. So Omar, if you were the only person to know, would you be the one to leak it to the press?? Just come out and say you made a mistake and should've have canned him before the team got on the plane. What's the saying? Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool then to open it up and remove all doubt.

14. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

It all comes down to the efforts of the players. Firing Willie is not going to get the Mets into the playoffs this year. Too many injuries; team is too old. I guess it does not matter what sport it is, team plays poorly fire the manager/coach. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. I still feel it is the players faults and not Willies.